Wednesday's gossip column

Scottish Mag

All I'm saying is that this club is shit at dealing with troublemakers, so buying one is a recipe for disaster.

Is it the club or Robson/Souness/Roeder's fault?

One thing that always impressed me at Bolton was they never had any real trouble at the club, even though they had Anelka, Diouf and Campo on the books.

Can Allardyce get the best out of Barton as well as sorting out his behaviour? He obviously thinks he can if he's trying to sign him, I have my doubts but I would never of thought he would have sorted Diouf out like he did.

Exxxxactly! [Accrington Stanley stylee]

Worse than what Tony Adams or Jermaine Pennant did? Worse than what Woodgate did (it emerged during the trial that a witness saw him stamp on the lad while he was lying on the floor iirc)? Worse than anything George Best did? Worse than what Gazza's done? I'm not saying he won't be trouble, I agreed with Jimbo, I just think people are slightly hypocritical when it comes to people like Barton (and Bowyer for that matter) as they seem to be utter twats. I just don't think he's actually done anything that bad in the grand scheme of things.

The difference between those players and Barton is that Barton has attacked his own team mates on 3 occasions, not exactly good for dressing room harmony which supposedly needs to be improved.

I think once upon a time that sort of behaviour would have been stamped out (quite literally maybe) in house.

It's just these days most footballers could be beaten up by your average chav 5 year old.

Big Sam seemed to get the best out of Diouf, despite him being an utter prick, so you never know the Barton transfer could be worthwhile. Football-wise at least.

Although I'm also sceptical about his off-pitch attitude.

It's so tempting to get involved in the hypothetical debates over who we should sign or not, but at the end of the day we're no going to make any big signings until the takeover is resolved and the transfer kitty is agreed upon.

so lets instead argue the merits of different tactical systems to accomodate the current players ....

...no?

no-one?

well go fuck yourselves then ;)

I think Barton is a better player than Parker, but the baggage he brings is not worth it.

yeah your right there he is better but he has got an attitude, but sam likes a challenge

Barton is a momentously clever move by Sam. Getting a player with a cloud over him at a silly price. One good season with us and he'll be worth £10m.

I would say here I will eat my hat if that happens but I have no hat and I am not that stupid knowing my luck.

However if "lady luck" is against NUFC we would buy him and he would get injured and play 10 games in the whole season and we would loose money.

;)

Barton is a momentously clever move by Sam. Getting a player with a cloud over him at a silly price. One good season with us and he'll be worth £10m.

People were saying that about Bowyer, and look what happened.

I absolutely don't want to see us buy Barton. It will be Bowyer all over again. He's a thug and an overrated footballer.

I absolutely don't want to see us buy Barton. It will be Bowyer all over again. He's a thug and an overrated footballer.

Like I said earlier I don't think I want Barton playing for our club but Bombadil, Bowyer was shit and struggling football wise when we picked him up, Barton at the moment is at the top of his game and striving to show the world with a fuck you I'm better than most attitude.

All I'm saying is that this club is shit at dealing with troublemakers, so buying one is a recipe for disaster.

Is it the club or Robson/Souness/Roeder's fault?

One thing that always impressed me at Bolton was they never had any real trouble at the club, even though they had Anelka, Diouf and Campo on the books.

Can Allardyce get the best out of Barton as well as sorting out his behaviour? He obviously thinks he can if he's trying to sign him, I have my doubts but I would never of thought he would have sorted Diouf out like he did.

Diouf's problems were never off-field though (apart from the wife-beating allegations which iirc were never substantiated), on the field he's a total wanker and continues to be, but like Bellamy, when he's playing for you, you try and brush it off. Allardyce got him playing well, but I don't really think there were many attitude problems to curb other than performance.

Barton on the other hand is a total headcase imo. You'd think when your brother has gone down for murdering a teenager with an axe, you'd do your best to keep your head down off the pitch to try and stop anyone from tarring you with the same brush but he's done the exact opposite.

Maybe, hypocritically, I could put up with it if he was brilliant, but he's not, not by a long shot.

Like I said earlier I don't think I want Barton playing for our club but Bombadil, Bowyer was shit and struggling football wise when we picked him up, Barton at the moment is at the top of his game and striving to show the world with a fuck you, look at me funny and I'll kick the fuck out of you and leave you looking like the elephant man attitude.

Brock is a twat!

Edited by ewerk