Sams new training regime

Kid Dynamite

With Sam Allardyce currently working on a number of signings and negotiations ongoing to bring various off-field personnel in, some details of what Newcastle players can look forward to next season are emerging.

One of the most radical innovations to have come from the scientific analysis of training methods Allardyce introduced at the Reebok is the staging of training sessions at match times.

Rather than the traditional morning sessions, afternoon training to replicate the conditions of weekend games and evening workouts to prepare for midweek fixtures are on the cards.

And after extensive dietary investigation, it's not only the type of food that the players eat that will come under scrutiny, but also the timing of their pre-match meal.

Scientific findings suggest that peak on-field performance depends partly on the metabolic rate of the individual - with different players best served by eating at different times, rather than all together.

In practice this is slightly impractical, with a partial compromise achieved by taking an average of the team's rate and setting a meal time based on that.

Any wide variations to that average see those players eating at different times - at least one member of Bolton's first team squad last season having their pre-match meal an hour before his team mates.

And we don't want to spoil the surprise, but one or two current Toon players with slightly unusual "refueling" habits may be in for something of a shock when Sam's boys start monitoring them closely - very closely

Good point at the end there, if Dyer et al are shoving coke up their snouts all weekend they are going to be rumbled fairly quick with Allardyces sports science staff checking them out every minday morning :lol:

Any wide variations to that average see those players eating at different times - at least one member of Bolton's first team squad last season having their pre-match meal an hour before his team mates.

Diouf tbh and that's got nowt to do with his metabolic rate, just the fact his team mates couldn't stand the twat!

Diouf tbh and that's got nowt to do with his metabolic rate, just the fact his team mates couldn't stand the twat!

:lol:

It's so simple. If you're playing games at 3pm on a weekend then it's obvious that your body should be training throughout the week at 3pm.

It's hardly rocket science. And something that should have been done years ago tbh.

It's so simple. If you're playing games at 3pm on a weekend then it's obvious that your body should be training throughout the week at 3pm.

It's hardly rocket science. And something that should have been done years ago tbh.

The irony being that, now we've cottoned on, there are fewer 3pm kick offs than there used to be so it's become less valid.

The irony being that, now we've cottoned on, there are fewer 3pm kick offs than there used to be so it's become less valid.

Obviously 12-45 kick offs would adjust the training times, etc.

Obviously 12-45 kick offs would adjust the training times, etc.

I realise that. It's just it has less impact when there is less of a routine to it, so eg even if you do alter training times, the beneficial effects are reduced due to that very fact.

Only a minor point though really, it's nice to see us using some received sports science wisdom for a change. Starting to feel oddly like a professional set up. :lol:

It was Jimmy Hill introduced it when he was a manager.

Guest alex

I was at a talk-in and Steve Black reckons he tried to introduce this under Keegan. KK reckoned the players wouldn't go for it. Would probably have interfered with afternoons on the golf course / in the bookies too.

I was at a talk-in and Steve Black reckons he tried to introduce this under Keegan. KK reckoned the players wouldn't go for it. Would probably have interfered with afternoons on the golf course / in the bookies too.

nail and head tbh

I do believe that KK implemented a far too laid back regime which has stayed with Terry Mac.

nail and head tbh

I do believe that KK implemented a far too laid back regime which has stayed with Terry Mac/Shepherd/the Newcastle club as a whole.

FYP

Wasn't training all 5 a-side games so KK could join in?

nail and head tbh

I do believe that KK implemented a far too laid back regime which has stayed with Terry Mac/Shepherd/the Newcastle club as a whole.

FYP

Wasn't training all 5 a-side games so KK could join in?

I thought that was under the 'proper' tosser?

Guest alex

KK was keen on his 5-a-side. Had a good coaching and fitness set-up with the likes of Fazackerly and Black though.

Yeah KK was defo the 5-a-sideophile.

Obviously naive looking back and tactics out of the window, but can you imagine how good those five-a-side teams must have been?

Obviously naive looking back and tactics out of the window, but can you imagine how good those five-a-side teams must have been?

If only someone had videoed last years pissup

There was a delegation of Northumbria University fashion students filming Scott as I recall.

There was a delegation of Northumbria University fashion students filming Scott as I recall.

I heard it was a pilot of Trinny & Susannahs new show "what never to fucking set foot outside in"