Under 21s Match

Gemmill

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as Lita's free kick slammed off the post at 0-1, I knew we were out, not cos we're shit, but because we're England. Had that went in I think it could've been more than 0-2.

The krauts aren't as good as us technically in my view, a view shared by people like Beckenbauer, but they know how to see games out playing shite.

Did I miss something?

The Netherland has been relocated has it?

Aye, I think you did.

As soon as Lita's free kick slammed off the post at 0-1, I knew we were out, not cos we're shit, but because we're England. Had that went in I think it could've been more than 0-2.

The krauts aren't as good as us technically in my view, a view shared by people like Beckenbauer, but they know how to see games out playing shite.

Did I miss something?

:lol: They're all the same to Stevie.

If Chelsea go for Drenthe I wouldn't mind seeing us go back in for Wayne Bridge.

Was my first thought as well upon reading that news. Would be an excellent signing if we could get him.

Guest stevieintoon

Did I miss something?

"What he said" but Sammy did indeed miss something, why would I mention Beckenbauer if I was referring to the Dutch. My point was shite though they are, a German team would've won 1-0.

Guest stevieintoon

If Chelsea go for Drenthe I wouldn't mind seeing us go back in for Wayne Bridge.

If we go for Drenthe I don't think it necessarily means we won't sign Baines. From what I've seen of Drenthe, he can also play anywhere in midfield.

Did I miss something?

"What he said" but Sammy did indeed miss something, why would I mention Beckenbauer if I was referring to the Dutch. My point was shite though they are, a German team would've won 1-0.

We aren't technically better than the Dutch was the other clue.

Guest stevieintoon

If you think about this honestly, I don't think there's a coutry on earth per head of population who have produced so many outstanding players.

Brazil produce bucketloads, but so they should witha population of 150m. Argentina have produced plenty, but again there's as many Argies in Buenos Aires alone as there is dutch in Holland fullstop.

I suppose the jocks could've put a good case for this up to 20/25 years ago, but a countrywith a population of 15 million, where you can drive from furthest point to furthest point in under three hours, you have to say no one else comes close in terms of quality/population.

Edited by stevieintoon

If you think about this honestly, I don't think there's a coutry on earth per head of population who have produced so many outstanding players.

Brazil produce bucketloads, but so they should witha population of 150m. Argentina have produced plenty, but again there's as may Argies in Buenos Aires alone as there is in Holland fullstop.

I suppose the jocks could've put a good case for this up to 20/25 years ago, but a countrywith a population of 15 million, where you can drive from furthest point to furthest point in under three hours, you have to say no one else comes close in terms of quality/population.

I totally agree. I think, iirc, that Johan Kruyff was only the 2nd full-time professional player ever in the Netherlands too. Not sure who was first but I remember reading that somewhere. They weren't even a European force in the 60's and then came from nowhere to produce some of the finest footballers and teams (most notably the Ajax and national teams of the 70's) ever.

Guest stevieintoon

Brazil produce bucketloads, but so they should witha population of 150m. Argentina have produced plenty, but again there's as may Argies in Buenos Aires alone as there is in Holland fullstop.

I totally agree. I think, iirc, that Johan Kruyff was only the 2nd full-time professional player ever in the Netherlands too. Not sure who was first but I remember reading that somewhere. They weren't even a European force in the 60's and then came from nowhere to produce some of the finest footballers and teams (most notably the Ajax and national teams of the 70's) ever.

I think 1970-2007. If you were to list the 15 best players in the world since then. Hand on heart you could easily name 4 or 5 as dutch. Without a doubt, Gullit, Cruyff and van Basten would be worthy of such a placing.

Always admired Rijkard too. Koeman was a class player in his prime and was still able to play fantastic passes even when his lack of pace made him a bit of a liability. Arguably the best free-kick taker ever too. Van Basten stands out for me though. Best forward I've ever seen. Cruyff was before my time but my Dad has told me about how good he was and I've seen footage obviously. Bergkamp wasn't too shabby either.

Guest stevieintoon

Always admired Rijkard too. Koeman was a class player in his prime and was still able to play fantastic passes even when his lack of pace made him a bit of a liability. Arguably the best free-kick taker ever too. Van Basten stands out for me though. Best forward I've ever seen. Cruyff was before my time but my Dad has told me about how good he was and I've seen footage obviously. Bergkamp wasn't too shabby either.

I WOULD include Rijkaard, and possibly Bergkamp.

It's a shame Bergkamp wasn't 25 and signing for Arsenal now, because without doubt he could've easily meritted a European Player Of The Year award, but when he came to England we were seen as a second rate league, I feel like judas saying this but I think Bergkamp had even more technique than Peter.

I WOULD include Rijkaard, and possibly Bergkamp.

It's a shame Bergkamp wasn't 25 and signing for Arsenal now, because without doubt he could've easily meritted a European Player Of The Year award, but when he came to England we were seen as a second rate league, I feel like judas saying this but I think Bergkamp had even more technique than Peter.

Aye, who had the bigger heart though?

Johan Kruyff

It's Johan Cruijff. :lol:

"And again and again, my name was spelt incorrectly."

http://www.cruijff.com/eng/phenomenon/diff...cle17190141.ece

I'm one of the (very, very) few Germans really admiring the Dutch style of football. The fact that they produce so many fantastic talents is imho very much down to the more relaxed approach to the game that is also about fun and entertainment.

Johan Kruyff

It's Johan Cruijff. :lol:

"And again and again, my name was spelt incorrectly."

http://www.cruijff.com/eng/phenomenon/diff...cle17190141.ece

I'm one of the (very, very) few Germans really admiring the Dutch style of football. The fact that they produce so many fantastic talents is imho very much down to the more relaxed approach to the game that is also about fun and entertainment.

Aye, I realised I'd spelt it wrong with the K. I know 'y' is the Anglicised version of 'ij' too. So fuck off :rolleyes: