McClaren in fan plea over Lampard

Scottish Mag

England manager Steve McClaren has urged fans to stop the criticism of Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard.

He is unhappy Lampard was booed during the 1-1 friendly draw with Brazil at Wembley this month and has written to the official England supporters' club.

In his annual report to englandfans, McClaren wrote: "We were all disappointed to hear Frank Lampard being booed at Wembley against Brazil.

"Frank is a tremendous player and he didn't deserve that reaction."

In Tallinn, for the game against Estonia, our supporters were brilliant

England boss Steve McClaren

McClaren and his team were targeted by disgruntled travelling fans in Barcelona when England were forced to battle for a 3-0 win over Andorra in March.

Lampard, 29, did not play in that game but he and other watching players were verbally abused as they sat in the stands and retreated to the inner sanctum of the stadium for the second half.

However, McClaren also praised the England followers for their backing in the crucial Euro 2008 qualifier victory over Estonia, which followed the Brazil match.

England won that game 3-0 and McClaren added: "In Tallinn, for the game against Estonia, our supporters were brilliant.

"No matter where we play, we seem to have the largest travelling support and this can genuinely be a 12th man for us."

Ingerlund 'supporters' never fail to impress me B)

Remember when John Barnes was getting booed at Wembley all those years ago? And now fat Frankie Lampard is getting it!

When I went to the opening game at Wembley - the U21 game against Italy - the mob around me were getting stuck into Keiron Richardson (sp) big style B)

Ingerlund 'supporters' never fail to impress me B)

Remember when John Barnes was getting booed at Wembley all those years ago? And now fat Frankie Lampard is getting it!

When I went to the opening game at Wembley - the U21 game against Italy - the mob around me were getting stuck into Keiron Richardson (sp) big style :angry:

Rightfully so. B)

to be fair, Frank is shit for England but gets game after game because he's awesome in the club competitions.

I can understand the frustration of the fans, booing is harsh, but in this case I'd say they are booing the manager for picking a player who doesn't seem to perform at this level, rather than calling Lampard shit.

Why I barely follow International football anymore. I'm not going to sit and cheer a player I detest (In this case Fat Fwank) just because he's got an Ingurlund top on. If he were to play at SJPs the next week for Chelsea i'd call him every name under the sun so i'm not going to be hypocritical and cheer him.

to be fair, Frank is shit for England but gets game after game because he's awesome in the club competitions.

I can understand the frustration of the fans, booing is harsh, but in this case I'd say they are booing the manager for picking a player who doesn't seem to perform at this level, rather than calling Lampard shit.

Lampard was probably our best player in qualifying for the last World Cup.

I hate the boo boys,I could understand if Lampard was playing shit for chelsea and England while still getting in the squad.But he has been brilliant for chelsea this season and had 2 good years at England.

When a player has a dip in form like this on a stage when you hardly get that many games to solve it you should support them until club form dips.

I'd disagree with that, but it's opinion at the end of the day. What is not up for debate is his level of performance since then. International players should be picked on talent and form. Lampard clearly has the facility at club level, but he doesn't seem to bring it to the table for the big international games. Which gets you asking yourself, how good is he in the big club games? Doesn't it strike you that you always speak of Drogba, Terry or Makelele when Chelsea play in the major matches?

I'd disagree with that, but it's opinion at the end of the day. What is not up for debate is his level of performance since then. International players should be picked on talent and form. Lampard clearly has the facility at club level, but he doesn't seem to bring it to the table for the big international games. Which gets you asking yourself, how good is he in the big club games? Doesn't it strike you that you always speak of Drogba, Terry or Makelele when Chelsea play in the major matches?

Something I completely agree with you on Dave. B)

Although I can't say John Terry has overly impressed me in an England shirt.

lampard is a classic example of the midfielder that goes missing for large chunks of the game. he's not a man that can grab the game by the scruff of the neck (unlike gerrard). was an excellent player for us in the run up to euro 2004 but since then i think he will say he's not been consistent (or good) enough.

i agree with kenneth noisewater's statements, that sums it up better than i could.

McClaren should take a leaf out of the cricket selectors' book. Mark Ramprakash and Graeme Hick score runs for fun in the county championship, and continue to do so, but as they both couldn't hack it in the international game they're never considered for the team and rightly so. A player's ability to perform on the international stage should be taken into account and not just their performances at club level.

Ever since then he's been piss poor and hasn't even warranted inclusion in the squad.

Ever since then he's been piss poor and hasn't even warranted inclusion in the squad.

What a crock of shit. B)

What a crock of shit. B)

What has he done for England since the qualifiers that he deserves a guaranteed place in the team?

He's a great player at club level, but he isn't pulling his weight (and there's enough of it) for England.

What a crock of shit. B)

What has he done for England since the qualifiers that he deserves a guaranteed place in the team?

He's a great player at club level, but he isn't pulling his weight (and there's enough of it) for England.

Inclusion in the squad you said. He's fucking miles ahead of most of the others who get in there - Dyer, Jenas, Parker, etc. I would probably drop him from the XI though.

What a crock of shit. B)

B)