Alvaro Recoba...

bassplayerjj

Seeing him for the first time in a while for Uruguay against Brazil in the Copa America semi-final. This is the perfect Big Sam player for me. He is so unbelievably talented and experienced yet he is mentally very weak and constantly has niggling injuries and has failed to become the player that he could have been. He's 31 now, still competing against Brazil as I write this, and has a wonderful left foot (think a more consistent Robert!) which could be used to great effect if he is helped to overcome his off the field difficulties. I can see him being a useful playmaker for us, having the sort of role Djorkaeff had at Bolton. Could also be used as one of the wide forwards in a 4-3-3 if his fitness levels are built up. Big Sam could get another 3 years out of him, and he is already familiar with Emre and Martins from their days at Inter together.

He is now a free transfer and players of his ability don't appear very often, if they do (like Deco) they usually command enormous transfer fees and wages. We have a manager that can help Recoba find himself again.

People will bang on about luxury players like him, Deco, Riquelme for example can not make it in the premiership but when they come about as free transfers it would be interesting to give them a try.

Seeing him for the first time in a while for Uruguay against Brazil in the Copa America semi-final. This is the perfect Big Sam player for me. He is so unbelievably talented and experienced yet he is mentally very weak and constantly has niggling injuries and has failed to become the player that he could have been. He's 31 now, still competing against Brazil as I write this, and has a wonderful left foot (think a more consistent Robert!) which could be used to great effect if he is helped to overcome his off the field difficulties. I can see him being a useful playmaker for us, having the sort of role Djorkaeff had at Bolton. Could also be used as one of the wide forwards in a 4-3-3 if his fitness levels are built up. Big Sam could get another 3 years out of him, and he is already familiar with Emre and Martins from their days at Inter together.

He is now a free transfer and players of his ability don't appear very often, if they do (like Deco) they usually command enormous transfer fees and wages. We have a manager that can help Recoba find himself again.

People will bang on about luxury players like him, Deco, Riquelme for example can not make it in the premiership but when they come about as free transfers it would be interesting to give them a try.

I saw him play last month against Australia and sorry not even big Sam could not inspire this man to perform constantly.

He would forever be on the ground rolling around like he'd been shot by a sniper.

Please no.

tommy smyth on the commentary of the match said that recoba was the second best player in the world...

later he said that recoba was not the best player on uruguay's national team...

i found those comments funny...

IMO i do not think big sam should waste his time on this headcase...

I remember that fantastic goal he scored against us in the CL a few years ago - it all seemed so easy for him - however i think someone has told him he is the greatest footballer that ever lived - and he believes it - radio rental and another wasted talent in the Robert mould.

I still can't quite grasp how a player like Robert just slipped into insignificance - i thought he was truly magnificent and had the potential to be one of our greatest ever players - its a cryin shame

tommy smyth on the commentary of the match said that recoba was the second best player in the world...

Like that 'merican irish twat knows anything about football.

If you've ever heard him call a newcastle match you would understand the sound of a drill going through your eardrum is a far more impressive opinion.

And he still insists on calling it sawker.

Edited by sammynb

Loved him when he was at Venezia (on loan from Inter iirc). Been a big disappointment since then, considering how good he could have been.

If you've ever heard him call a newcastle match you would understand the sound of a drill going through your eardrum is a far more impressive opinion.

Is Tommy Smyth still referring to the goal as the 'old onion bag'?

That man made Alan Partridge's commentary seem plausible.

i do not know what is worse, him saying the 'old onion bag' or him screaming 'look out'

any time an attacking player gets near the box.

i do not know what is worse, him saying the 'old onion bag' or him screaming 'look out'

any time an attacking player gets near the box.

The fact he he even spells it auld onion bag is excuse enough to kill the twat.

What makes it worse is I don't even live in the states and I've still got to put up with the bastid on me telly.

Guest Patrokles

Bit rich. :icon_lol:

Bit rich. :icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

I saw him play last month against Australia and sorry not even big Sam could not inspire this man to perform constantly.

He would forever be on the ground rolling around like he'd been shot by a sniper.

Please no.

And Deco wouldn't?

If anything Deco is more of a feigner of injury??? :icon_lol:

I'm not saying we should get either or both, but I'm just putting things into perspective here.

Please no.

And Deco wouldn't?

I'm not saying we should get either or both, but I'm just putting things into perspective here.

Have to disagree there. Yes they both have a touch of the gymnast to them but Recoba will always limp/fall to the ground when things don't go his way and that includes losing the ball to the opposition. Deco at least has been known to track back and try to win the ball back.

Please no.

And Deco wouldn't?

Have to disagree there. Yes they both have a touch of the gymnast to them but Recoba will always limp/fall to the ground when things don't go his way and that includes losing the ball to the opposition. Deco at least has been known to track back and try to win the ball back.

One person's opinion against another Sammy. But Deco makes Cristiano Ronaldo look like an absolute tiger. Great player that he is, Deco is unquestionably guilty of being one of the biggest feigner of injuries in the world game, Alvaro Recoba included. :icon_lol:

Guest stevieintoon

The goal he scored against us, incredible very few players even think about shooting from that angle, what a goal. I still had hopes of a draw till that went in.

I get the impression he's one player who will never fully fulfill the undoubted world class talent he has. One of the very best on his day though. Not as ugly as he used to be n'aal.

He's from the same area as me. Typical of the accent calling it sawker, surprised he doesn't call it 'that foreign shite' like most around here!

Re Recoba, wouldn't bother with him now, maybe at Bolton but I'd rather see us going for players in their prime!