New road layout in Newcastle

Renton

What does everyone think of the new road layout in Newcastle then? The main things they've done is block the southern end of Percy street so there is now no access to Newgate street. Also, you can't turn right now onto Gallowgate so basically you have to do a U-turn if you venture onto it. :crying:

Pretty incovenient but as I don't use it I can live with it. However, what really boils my piss is that they have now closed Strawberry place for through traffic from Queen Victoria road - basically they've barracaded the road just outside the Trent. So now to get to the parking I use just opposite SJP I have to drive right around the hospital and down Barrack road. Of course, every bugger has to do this so the road is gridlocked on rush hour, causing more exhaust to be poured into the atmosphere.

What prick came up with these ideas? How does it benefit anyone? There's an obvious intention to make Newcastle a car free zone in time and force people to use the charver ridden metro, at 2.70 a pop for a single ticket. Bastids, the lot of them.

Also I have heard the Strawberry is to be demolished in the redevelopment. End of an era.

I've not been into the town in the car since they blocked it all off, usually go down the routes you mentioned canny regular to drop off/park etc. Can see me getting the bus now like to save the hassle. But then that's what they want.

Matchdays will be a fucking nightmare as if they weren't already like, not that I'll have that bother now like. :crying:

I seldom drive into town now. On match day I park down the bottom near the central. Only time Im up top is if I drop our lass off and thats usually around the Gate. It was this reason though I started shopping in the metro centre.

Also I have heard the Strawberry is to be demolished in the redevelopment. End of an era.

Take away the sentiment that it's the pub behind the Gallowgate end and it's no real loss tbh - it's a fucking awful place. Wasn't likely to survive long once Shearer's opened either.

A bigger loss in the pub stakes had to be The Farmer's Rest when M&S expanded years ago.

Take away the sentiment that it's the pub behind the Gallowgate end and it's no real loss tbh - it's a fucking awful place. Wasn't likely to survive long once Shearer's opened either.

A bigger loss in the pub stakes had to be The Farmer's Rest when M&S expanded years ago.

Don't know how you make that out. I never go on match days because it's too busy, but I think it's a great pub on other days. Good beer, insanely cheap food, canny atmosphere, lots of Newcastle memorabilia, and in the shadow of the Gallowgate.

As for Shearer's, the place is an abomination.

:crying: aye, that and the Doll...

The road closures are for work on the new Eldon Square complex, Time Central and possibly whatever the hell they put on the Gallowgate car park. They're not opening again for 18 months or summat daft like that.

Guest Toplass-101

Anyone know how long they gona take doing Eldon Square up ? id heard 2 years and that its gona be nightmare to drive in town while they are doing the work. :crying:

The road closures are for work on the new Eldon Square complex, Time Central and possibly whatever the hell they put on the Gallowgate car park. They're not opening again for 18 months or summat daft like that.

Anyone know how long they gona take doing Eldon Square up ? id heard 2 years and that its gona be nightmare to drive in town while they are doing the work. :jesuswept:

:crying:

There's also the Haymarket redevelopment...

The “Haymarket Hub” development will see the current Metro station transformed into a four story building with additional office, retail and leisure premises promising to create 450 new city centre jobs.

The construction of the site is expected to take two years to complete, and Metro services will remain operational from the station.

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/press.nsf/news...6D?opendocument

The signs say expect delays until 2010. The blocking off of Strawberry place is described as the "Leazes village experiment". My guess is none of those roads will be opened for normal traffic again.

Guest stevieintoon

:crying: aye, that and the Doll...

I'm too young to remember the Doll but I always had the impression it was full of heed the baals and students, listening to pish bands.

What about The Magpie - closed in 1983, I bet that was a big miss, what was it like Peasepud?

Guest stevieintoon
The signs say expect delays until 2010. The blocking off of Strawberry place is described as the "Leazes village experiment". My guess is none of those roads will be opened for normal traffic again.

Maybe the ground expansion has been pencilled in as part of the developments.

Perfect excuse for the Lib Dems to close all the roads for a couple of years and then never have to reopen them. I'm not too bothered about barring traffic from the city centre actually, the problem is we don't have a public transport infrastruture to cope with it. And anyway, there are still a shit load of cars still going down Percy St and turning into Gallowgate. If they don't start getting people done for it then they'll comtinue to do it. I was talking to a lad who works for the Tyne Tunnel who says they now have cameras up to catch all the fuckers who push in at rush hour. Take their number plates and fine them apparently. Good stuff.

I also like the way they've cut off Leazes Village with the excuse that it's to make sure the residents there don't have to put up with jams caused by people cutting through. I'm sure the people of Spittal Tonges and Nunsmoor are delighted by the new traffic jams they now have instead.

Perfect excuse for the Lib Dems to close all the roads for a couple of years and then never have to reopen them. I'm not too bothered about barring traffic from the city centre actually, the problem is we don't have a public transport infrastruture to cope with it. And anyway, there are still a shit load of cars still going down Percy St and turning into Gallowgate. If they don't start getting people done for it then they'll comtinue to do it. I was talking to a lad who works for the Tyne Tunnel who says they now have cameras up to catch all the fuckers who push in at rush hour. Take their number plates and fine them apparently. Good stuff.

I also like the way they've cut off Leazes Village with the excuse that it's to make sure the residents there don't have to put up with jams caused by people cutting through. I'm sure the people of Spittal Tonges and Nunsmoor are delighted by the new traffic jams they now have instead.

Exactly, especially the last point. Most of the through route in Leazes village was commercial (SJP, Strawberry, Barker and Sronehouse) not residential anyway - the houses and flats there aren't affected by traffic.

Regarding those cameras - are people actually breaking the law pushing in at the tunnel. There's nothing more annoying than people using the wrong lanes at roundabouts or Jesmond road and cutting in, but I wasn't aware it was an offence. I know stopping on a box junction is, but that's been forced on me on occassion by some fucker in the wrong lane cutting me up.

My tax disc ran out recently - ordered the new one online, but then forgot to put it on the car the first day in June. So I'm sat in the traffic queuing for the tunnel headed Northbound when I notice the two blokes standing like they think they're policemen watching the cars go by and that. Straight away I know I'm gonna get clocked for my tax. The little fucker with his tache (why do they always have taches? Same with metro inspectors) looks over, does a double take, and starts striding over. There's a break in the traffic so I'm trying to pretend I haven't noticed him and just pull away, but the traffic comes to another standstill and I can see him in my mirror approaching on the passenger side walking dead slow like the copper in Terminator 2 cos he just KNOWS he's gonna get to me before the traffic moves again (can you feel the suspense here? I'm like Hitchcock only with words). But he walks straight past the car and for a second I think I'm in the clear until he walks over to the bit where the vans pull in and beckons me over. Bastards!

To be fair to him I got the full speech about how he could impound my car and how by rights he shouldn't let me through the tunnel as I'm not insured and if something went wrong like I crashed in the tunnel with no insurance blah blah. Anyway, he asked if I was on my way home, I confirmed I was, he asked if I'd put the new disc on when I got home, I confirmed I would, so he sent me on my way. Scolded.

My tax disc ran out recently - ordered the new one online, but then forgot to put it on the car the first day in June. So I'm sat in the traffic queuing for the tunnel headed Northbound when I notice the two blokes standing like they think they're policemen watching the cars go by and that. Straight away I know I'm gonna get clocked for my tax. The little fucker with his tache (why do they always have taches? Same with metro inspectors) looks over, does a double take, and starts striding over. There's a break in the traffic so I'm trying to pretend I haven't noticed him and just pull away, but the traffic comes to another standstill and I can see him in my mirror approaching on the passenger side walking dead slow like the copper in Terminator 2 cos he just KNOWS he's gonna get to me before the traffic moves again (can you feel the suspense here? I'm like Hitchcock only with words). But he walks straight past the car and for a second I think I'm in the clear until he walks over to the bit where the vans pull in and beckons me over. Bastards!

To be fair to him I got the full speech about how he could impound my car and how by rights he shouldn't let me through the tunnel as I'm not insured and if something went wrong like I crashed in the tunnel with no insurance blah blah. Anyway, he asked if I was on my way home, I confirmed I was, he asked if I'd put the new disc on when I got home, I confirmed I would, so he sent me on my way. Scolded.

So basically he was canny to you and gave you some leeway, and you're still taking the piss out of the bloke? :crying:

So basically he was canny to you and gave you some leeway, and you're still taking the piss out of the bloke? :crying:

All I mentioned was his tache fuckface! :jesuswept:

I posted about this last week on N-O, it's going to cause chaos and as you and SLP have said, the public transport system is appalling.

The funniest thing is a new no-car lane outside Long Bar. Waiting there, cars are in the left hand lane and buses on the right, but when you turn right - and you can obviously only turn right there, past the station, you're immediately in the wrong lane because the no-car lane is on the left. Basically means cars can't turn until they've let the buses through because they'll just smash into the side of one of them.

The thing I hate about all this blocking cars from using the city centre is that public transport is full of charver bamps. We need a two-tier public transport system - one for the becketts and one for the rest of us.