Solano Peru hint stuns Newcastle

chip2388

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/4214702.stm

_40763676_solano203.jpg

Solano Peru hint stuns Newcastle

Newcastle have been left stunned by news that Nolberto Solano could return to international football with Peru.

Solano, 31, recently re-joined the Magpies for a second spell from Aston Villa in a £1.5m deal.

The winger was sold by Sir Bobby Robson two years ago after long-haul flights to South America caused him to miss Premiership matches.

Solano said: "There is nothing in my Newcastle contract about not playing for Peru."

Edited by chip2388

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, what is the general feeling about him jetting off to play for Peru?

Was Robson right to be pissed off with Nobby and right to sell him?

This was another case of selling a player who didn't do as he was told but was beneficial to the team, as in the Bellamy situation.

Personally, I have no problem with Nobby going to play for his country but he must be prepared to sit on the bench, when he's back, as his place is given to others when he's away. It's only fair that those playing out on the right in his place are given a fair chance to play there even when he's here.

We complain if we have no internationals or if our players are overlooked

if you sign a peruvian or a martian you should hope he is good enough and proud enough to want to play for his country

affects every one of the TOP clubs as well

If he'd stopped playing for them when he was with Villa, I think our assumption in signing him was that he wouldn't be playing for them anymore. If he's going to start missing games because of it then personally I think it's out of order.

However, if we wanted to guarantee anything then it should have been in his contract, so he's well within his rights to play for them.

if you sign a peruvian or a martian you should hope he is good enough and proud enough to want to play for his country

28256[/snapback]

Do Mars have many internationals? :razz::D

Anyway, the speculation is that there's no clause in his contract that says he can't play for them. Whether he will or not time will tell. For any player to play at international level is an honour and no-one should be stopped from doing so. As has already been stated - he must accept that his place may be temporarily in jeopardy if he does so.

28256[/snapback]

Maybe Solano should have mentioned this before we signed him.

Lazy journalism. They just reboil an old story.

As someone said. SBR was prepared to put Newcastle in second place to manage his country. So if Nobby hops off now and then to play for his country it is fine by me. I also would have no problem in signing Adriano and allowing him to keep playing for his country...

I'm really puzzled about the English behaviour. A nation that always falls into collective hysteria when it comes to its national team but is showing little respect for foreign players having the same pride.

"Do Mars have many internationals? :razz::sing: "

yeah - Sven picks them all the time for England - its the rocket-lag that causes them to play like that................ :D:lol::sing::sing:

Edited by Rob W

As someone said. SBR was prepared to put Newcastle in second place to manage his country. So if Nobby hops off now and then to play for his country it is fine by me. I also would have no problem in signing Adriano and allowing him to keep playing for his country...

I'm really puzzled about the English behaviour. A nation that always falls into collective hysteria when it comes to its national team but is showing little respect for foreign players having the same pride.

28264[/snapback]

Sums up the undercurrent xenophobic activity that rears it's head once in a while (normally during major international championships).

28264[/snapback]

Sums up the undercurrent xenophobic activity that rears it's head once in a while (normally during major international championships).

28276[/snapback]

I don't really think it's xenophobic to prefer Solano not to miss games for Newcastle as a result of playing for Peru. I'd want the same of Michael Owen.

28264[/snapback]

28276[/snapback]

I think you're completely missing the point.

A/ It's not as if he is at the begininning of an international career

B/ If he didnt play for Peru while at Villa, why all of a sudden is that ON again ?

That said - the stinking rags and the every-bit-as-stinking-and-biased BBC are still furious that Newcastle signed Owen so will be looking for ANYTHING to cause bad feeling at Newcastle, and the bastards will celebrate any negative. Its going to go on for some time, so be warned ! I mean - the rags and bbc STILL have a go at Shearer for not joining Man U - they are as bad as the gloryhunters themselves !

Edited by Phil K

As said, I think BBC have jumped on this story. Probably not as big as their making it out to be. IF it is true, although we may need him, every player should have the right to represent their country.

Until Nobby says the phrase 'I'm going to play for Peru' then this is a nothing story. It would be bad crack if he decided not to play for Peru whilst at Villa and then changed his mind now he's back here. It's his choice of course, but from a selfish point of view I'd like him to make NUFC the priority, especially as Peru can't now qualify for the WC.

28264[/snapback]

28276[/snapback]

I don't really think it's xenophobic to prefer Solano not to miss games for Newcastle as a result of playing for Peru. I'd want the same of Michael Owen.

28287[/snapback]

Yep, but that's what you want. But how do you think the public would react if Souness came out saying Owen should quit international football in protection of his hamstring so that he can play a maximum of games for Newcastle.

I'm not xenophobic (well, not much :razz: ) and I always thought Robson was very hypocritical towards player like Solano and Lua Lua. However, IF Solano wants to play for Peru again, I think he should have mentioned it before joining. Also, as SLP says, they're not in the next World Cup and he's unlikely to still be getting picked by 2010 so you would have to question whether or not his loyalties were misplaced. It's probably just a nothing story though and the lack of quotes from the player himself would seem to back this up.

slightly different though. Owen doesnt have to travel half way around the world to play for his country. Which lets face it those who pay his wages (us) couldnt give a gnats chuff about. I dont think its xenophobic its just realistic. On top of that theres always the point that he did go back on his word once after securing a better contract. England matches have minimal impact on English league games. Its not the same for South American or African ones. Im sure if English players where playing in Peru or Brazil the fans of those clubs would be miffed to see the player being ruled out of league games not because of injury but because of travel.

We should only choose Scotsmen and weslshmen then - they don't have to travel far and they get knocked out of competitions in the first round.............

of course they're mainly rubbish but at least they'll be available

We should only choose Scotsmen and weslshmen then - they don't have to travel far and they get knocked out of competitions in the first round.............

of course they're mainly rubbish but at least they'll be available

28338[/snapback]

Please don't make this another Craig Bellamy thread Rob. :razz:

so solano misses an important game because his flight is delayed or he's just fked from travelling. Are you telling me you wouldn't be disappointed?

Im not saying he shouldn't play for his country but its perfectly natural (and in no way xenophobic) to be a bit fked off with it when it causes him to miss games for us. Its different for player from european counties because their internationals are scheduled into the league program for minimum impact. It isnt a foreign v English issue to me.

Edited by luckypierre