(lack of) optimism ahead of the new season

Dr Gloom

I don't think he had much choice but to give the Zog a run out there on Saturday tbh.

I'm sure he won't have given up on signing someone (only a complete idot would accept what we currently have) but it's obviously more difficult than he was expecting!

reckon geremi/ solano will do that job.

They could "do the job" but neither of them are right backs. We shouldnt be in a position where players are playing out of position unless injurys force them to. FFS we have money to spend, I really dont understand what the problems are

Edited by jaythesouthernmag

I think it's a combination of factors really. The takeover will slow things down. IIRC, didn't MA send Chris Mort in to do a strategic review before we did anything else? That wont have been a quick job. That and the transitional period of handover wont have helped. MA/CM/SA need to get to know each other and SA needs to get MA/CM up to speed on his plans and vice versa. This is a period of flux for us and the timing isn't great (close season) as it has clearly slowed things up.

My guess is that we were far enough down the first signings for the takeover not to halt them. Add to that, all we've really spent is 2m by the time you balance the incoming/outgoing and SA was probably allowed to complete the deals before the Strategic review.

Lastly, the takeover both works in our favour and against us. It signals a new era, which for some means a new NUFC and better prospects. Others with see this as a transitional, possibly shakey time for us as there is a lot of change and it does not always go smoothly. Players may see this as another stage in the 'rocky ship' history of NUFC and stay away. Others may see it as a revolution, similar to the Chelski one.

Time is marching on and you can see SA is getting a bit frustrated. One or two of his comments suggested that the new board were spending time bedding in before spending (normally good business sense) but in the case of an industry where you only have a finite period in which to recruit personnel and make larger changes to your business strategy for the next 6 months; time is of the essence and a luxury you cannot afford to waste.

We've clearly missed out on a few targets and had some turn us down, possibly for the reasons I've mentioned. I'm optimistic though that MA/CM will not delay too long and through SA we can still buy some good players in what's left of the window. Bridge getting injured wont have helped for example as we maybe would have signed him. Same can be said for a couple of the injuries we've had, they wont have helped.

I'd like to think we could end this season top 6. Some will say we should expect this given some of the players, but there is a lot of change this season and a steady ship first will make the ground we've lost over recent seasons, much quicker to make.

Edited by maggiespaws

They could "do the job" but neither of them are right backs. We shouldnt be in a position where players are playing out of position unless injurys force them to. FFS we have money to spend, I really dont understand what the problems are

because we're not an attractive prospect for players?

because we're trying to buy players when all teams in the market know of our new financial situation

because we're trying to buy players when all teams in the market know of our desperation in certain positions.

because we're not an attractive prospect for players?

because we're trying to buy players when all teams in the market know of our new financial situation

because we're trying to buy players when all teams in the market know of our desperation in certain positions.

Indeed. This is part of the problem with the transfer market - it's a sellers market; and we need to buy. As soon as Chelsea had money they had to pay more for players and clubs knew they could take advantage. The difference now is that there are a few clubs in the Prem with money so it will be interesting to see how that affects the market. I think that as clubs like Liverpool now have good money they stand a better chance of catching up with the top 2. Unfortunately, the rest of us have an even bigger mountain to climb. Spurs are going about it the right way, but have been for the last 2 seasons. It takes time.

It seems obvious from what Sam has been saying that we've missed out on a few because of the takeover, because of deals that couldn't be taken through to a conclusion and maybe the odd rejection. The Marseille player turned down singing for us as we know and we lost Haim to Chelski which ws annoying. Also it was ina the papers today, can't remember where possibly the chronicle that another CB had turned us down over the last day or two.

I suspect Big Sam is working his arse off trying to get the players in, but not having any luck so far and we really need them. As an absolute minimum we have to get a LB and CB in an thats far from all that's needed.

How many players do you think we need in, Papa?

Really i'd want 2 left backs, a right back, a centreback and some sort of creative/flair type player. But as i said a LB and CB has to be the very minimum he gets before the start of the season.

needs lb two cb and a midfielder

Three French hens, two Turtle doves...

Three fullbacks, two centrehalves and a flair player in the middle! Or something like that. Just please lets get at least 1 LB and a CB

one centre back, one right back and a left back is the minimum required defenisvely. i also think we need two or three midfielders to bolster our numbers. preferably one creative player, one holding player and someone that could play on either flank would be a bonus.

so mr ashley, please forget about the problems at sports direct for the moment and invest some of your billions in the following:

baines

campbell

beye

makalele

deco

simao

thank you. as you can see, we don't ask for much.

things is though SLP, if he doesn't have the new faces he wanted to work with, he has to begin preparations with who he has got. Ramage would be dropped the instant we got someone capable in.

However many players are injured i still have far more optimism about this season than the last 3. We have a manager who takes no shit, knows his stuff, possibly the best injury prevention team in the league (when it gets up and running haha) a billionaire owner and a chairman who looks and acts professionally.