The New A-S in Toon...

bassplayerjj

Smith looked shite up front in the first half, I don't remember one thing of note that he done.

He looked better in the second half from a deeper position but Barton will take that position when he's fit, better sub than Pattison though.

If he scores 30 goals in the first 10 games of the season you'll still say he's shit though.

I didn't know you were so childish, Gol.

How is that childish? I just mean that you've already made your mind up on Smith, and nothing he does will change that. Correct?

I've gave my opinion on him as a player similar to how I've done over all of our new signings, that doesn't mean my opinion can't change if he performs for us, the same way as my opinion could change to think Barton is a shit signing if he doesn't perform for us.

To say I'd still think he's shit if he scored 30 goals in the next 10 game is complete shite.

OK then; what do you need to see from Smith for your opinion of him to change? Obviously his pace will not increase too much, so what else can he do?

Depends where he plays.

If he's up front I want him to score goals as well as get assists, link the play up well and go about creating space for his strike partner.

If he's in midfield I don't want to see him giving stupid freekicks away because of reckless challenges, be involved in the build up play and look to work on his passing game, I want him to get past players and set up attacks, most important thing is to chip in with goals.

Personally I wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting 11 as I've seen nothing of him in the past 4 years to suggest he can do a job for us anywhere apart from the odd bright performance.

Your last sentence is kinda the point I was trying to make though. Personally, I say that I've seen enough of Emre in a Newcastle shirt to know that he shouldn't be in the starting 11. I also think that, if he stays, Dyer has never shown the consitency we require. It looks like it will be a choice between those 3 players for a place in the team, and I'd much rather have Smith than the other 2.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith looked shite up front in the first half, I don't remember one thing of note that he done.

He looked better in the second half from a deeper position but Barton will take that position when he's fit, better sub than Pattison though.

If he scores 30 goals in the first 10 games of the season you'll still say he's shit though.

How is that childish? I just mean that you've already made your mind up on Smith, and nothing he does will change that. Correct?

I've gave my opinion on him as a player similar to how I've done over all of our new signings, that doesn't mean my opinion can't change if he performs for us, the same way as my opinion could change to think Barton is a shit signing if he doesn't perform for us.

To say I'd still think he's shit if he scored 30 goals in the next 10 game is complete shite.

OK then; what do you need to see from Smith for your opinion of him to change? Obviously his pace will not increase too much, so what else can he do?

Depends where he plays.

If he's up front I want him to score goals as well as get assists, link the play up well and go about creating space for his strike partner.

If he's in midfield I don't want to see him giving stupid freekicks away because of reckless challenges, be involved in the build up play and look to work on his passing game, I want him to get past players and set up attacks, most important thing is to chip in with goals.

Personally I wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting 11 as I've seen nothing of him in the past 4 years to suggest he can do a job for us anywhere apart from the odd bright performance.

Your last sentence is kinda the point I was trying to make though. Personally, I say that I've seen enough of Emre in a Newcastle shirt to know that he shouldn't be in the starting 11. I also think that, if he stays, Dyer has never shown the consitency we require. It looks like it will be a choice between those 3 players for a place in the team, and I'd much rather have Smith than the other 2.

I take it you didn't watch Newcastle when we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th if you think Dyer has never been consistent for us.

Emre plays alot deeper but is a far better centre mid than Smith.

Depends where he plays.

I take it you didn't watch Newcastle when we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th if you think Dyer has never been consistent for us.

I've been one of his biggest fans (Dyer by the way) but despite him being a threat, he's never been consistent through an entire season (especially in the last 5 years).

What has Emre done at this club to show he's better than Smith? I really can't understand what fans see in Emre which makes them think he's good enough. Gives the ball away more than any player in the Premiership.

Guest Patrokles
How closely has anyone really scrutinized Smith before now, though?

Fergie probably had him watched once or twice, and I think Sam might know something about him :icon_lol:

No, I agree with you. I don't understand people who think they can definitively judge a player they've hardly seen.

Depends where he plays.

I've been one of his biggest fans (Dyer by the way) but despite him being a threat, he's never been consistent through an entire season (especially in the last 5 years).

What has Emre done at this club to show he's better than Smith? I really can't understand what fans see in Emre which makes them think he's good enough. Gives the ball away more than any player in the Premiership.

Emre has played well when he hasn't had that useless shite Scott Parker next to him, in fact all of our team seemed to improve when he wasn't playing.

Emre has played well when he hasn't had that useless shite Scott Parker next to him, in fact all of our team seemed to improve when he wasn't playing.

I've seen Emre play well in 3 games. Sad really, another player I was excited about seeing play for us, only to be let down again and again.

Depends where he plays.

Im sorry that's unwarranted. Scott Parker was idolised by many when he was at newcastle and suddenly he decides to leave and they hate him. He gave more effort than any player in our squad for the last two seasons and i know effort can only get you so far but he certainly went up in my estimations when he played for us. As for Emre, thinks hes min gattuso, all he can do is hold the ball up and have a good pop every now and then. He barely deserves a place in our squad let alone the starting 11. When everyone is fit i will be surprised to see him in the 16 for a saturday afternoon.

I've seen Emre play well in 3 games. Sad really, another player I was excited about seeing play for us, only to be let down again and again.

I like how you're trying to turn this into slagging Emre off.

Didn't you rate Scott Parker? Perhaps that why you like Smith, another grafter who gets stuck in.

Shouldn't you be licking a window somewhere, NobbySol?

What am i not allowed to give my opinion?

I didn't say you couldn't, it's just clear you know fuck all about football and come across as a retard.

I didn't say you couldn't, it's just clear you know fuck all about football and come across as a retard.

I feel the same about you and tbh it sounds like your footballing brain is rather shit. You doubt smith and parker and label them shit becuase they are grifters. Im quite sure that when Scott Parker was our captain you were singing his praises.

I like how you're trying to turn this into slagging Emre off.

Didn't you rate Scott Parker? Perhaps that why you like Smith, another grafter who gets stuck in.

Emre is a direct comparison for Smith in terms of where I think they'll be played. Smith > Emre in my opinion, so therefore will play. Hardly rocket science.

My opinion of Parker (and that of Ameobi too) is that he didn't/doesn't warrant the amount of abuse certain people on here gave/give him.

It's strange really, there seems to be a problem with English players...

People slate Owen and Ameobi but adore Martins.

People slate Parker and Smith but adore Emre.

By the way Baggio, no need really for your comments to NobbySol; I thought you were above that type of thing. Obviously been associated with Leazes a bit too long now.

How closely has anyone really scrutinized Smith before now, though?

Fergie probably had him watched once or twice, and I think Sam might know something about him :icon_lol:

I have to think that Smith established himself as a good player while with Leeds otherwise I don't think Man.U would have paid as much as they did for him. And I think the fact that at one point he was chosen for England would indicate that others thought he had some merit, including Sam who has now brought him to our house.

I feel the same about you and tbh it sounds like your footballing brain is rather shit. You doubt smith and parker and label them shit becuase they are grifters. Im quite sure that when Scott Parker was our captain you were singing his praises.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/...p?topic=32973.0

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/...p?topic=32973.0

Cannot access it as im not a member not can i be bothered to read

Pointless slagging match, its a forum ffs.

Baggio, do you have a season ticket for Manyoo to judge Smith over his time there or did you watch Smith on Playercam every time they were on telly?

FFS, are people not allowed to have opinions on players unless they've seen them play 20+ games a season? I'm not thrilled about the Smith signing and don't really see how he'll improve the first team either but I'd be very happy for him to come along and prove me wrong.

FFS, are people not allowed to have opinions on players unless they've seen them play 20+ games a season? I'm not thrilled about the Smith signing and don't really see how he'll improve the first team either but I'd be very happy for him to come along and prove me wrong.

i personally think the whole idea of signing him is that he improves the squad

He'll certainly improve the squad but I'd like to think that our most expensive signing of the summer would improve the first XI.

He'll certainly improve the squad but I'd like to think that our most expensive signing of the summer would improve the first XI.

He'd improve last year's first XI no problem.

Guest Patrokles

They're allowed opinions. They'll just be opinions based on very little evidence whatsoever. That's the point being made. It'd be like me saying 'I think New Hampshire is an incredible place to live' just because I've seen it once on a holiday show.