songs that just 'do it'

snakehips

There are millions of songs that we like, but every now and again a song comes along that just 'does it'. One that gets right inside you and just has something about it that sets it apart from others. When I list one or two you may understand what I mean.

This is not a thread to slag others tastes, as we all have a different tuning fork in our ear/brain/nervous system.

For example, and in no particular order:

In the crowd - The Jam

Albatross - Fleetwood Mac

Stan - Eminem

Smells like a teen spirit - Nirvana

What songs just 'do it' for you?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to a Paul Weller acoustic set where he did In the Crowd a couple of years ago and it sounded class.

29484[/snapback]

Two posts in and you've digressed, you fucking numpty :blink:

Went to a Paul Weller acoustic set where he did In the Crowd a couple of years ago and it sounded class.

29484[/snapback]

29486[/snapback]

What's up with your avatar anyway? Is that one of your watercolours, you screaming hom?

29484[/snapback]

29486[/snapback]

What's up with your avatar anyway? Is that one of your watercolours, you screaming hom?

29487[/snapback]

You're the one with the arty avatar you ponce!

It's Falcao, star of the 1982 Brazil World Cup side (played with Junior, Zico, Socrates). He scored one of the goals against Italy in their 3-2 defeat that year. He was the one who's face/neck looked like it was going to explode as he celebrated the goal. Stick with me kid, you might learn something. ;)

29484[/snapback]

Two posts in and you've digressed, you fucking numpty ;)

29486[/snapback]

29487[/snapback]

You're the one with the arty avatar you ponce!

It's Falcao, star of the 1982 Brazil World Cup side (played with Junior, Zico, Socrates). He scored one of the goals against Italy in their 3-2 defeat that year. He was the one who's face/neck looked like it was going to explode as he celebrated the goal. Stick with me kid, you might learn something. :razz:

29490[/snapback]

:blink:

It may well be Falcao, but it's all pixellated. Looks like you've painted it. :(

Anyway my avatar is cool, and you've RUINED snakehips' thread. :blush:

Back to Jimmy it is then.

29503[/snapback]

see thats the problem with this avatar malarkey, this thread has been further ruined by the fact that I (we) cant see the offending falcao pic no more and I was confused that you claimed jummy dean played for brazil. :blink:

Back to Jimmy it is then.

29503[/snapback]

see thats the problem with this avatar malarkey, this thread has been further ruined by the fact that I (we) cant see the offending falcao pic no more and I was confused that you claimed jummy dean played for brazil. :blink:

29511[/snapback]

Albert Camus played in goal for Algeria.

I'll not ignore you Snakehips...

Sufjan Stevens -Come On! Feel The Illinoise - specifically 2:22 in the piano and horns start going mental and the strings join in and it's just a glorious interlude.

Les Fleur by 4Hero

Two Thousand Places by The Polyphonic Spree

Liquid Swords by Genius/GZA - love the driving beat that starts after a minute and 28 that never lets up for the rest of the song. Could have been done on a bontempi organ and it's fantastic.

Straight Street by The Fiery Furnaces - At 3:25 a single keyboard note is held and it sends shivers up my back. It's lush.

Edited by Happy Face

Leonard Cohen - Hey thats no way to say goodbye

travis - cage

pearl jam - elderly woman behind the counter in a small town

smiths - that joke isnt funny anymore

not sure if they do the right thing for this thread, but these are a few that certainly give me tingles :blink:

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

Block Rocking Beats - Chemical Brothers

Freddy Kreuger - Reuben

Don't stop me now - Queen

You do something to me- Paul Weller

Charlatans - weirdo

Stone Roses - Mersey Paradise

Autechre - Lowride

Richard Ashcroft - Brave New world

Dj Shadow - Scatter Brain

Dj Krush -Duality

I can hear the opening few notes to most of those and it brings an instant smile to my face. The Richard Ashcroft one is a sad one. Ive been listening to a lot of Autechre again recently, thats a more of a sit down ,close your eyes and chill one.

Edited by luckypierre

Charlatans - weirdo

Stone Roses - Mersey Paradise

Autechre  - Lowride

Richard Ashcroft - Brave New world

Dj Shadow -  Scatter Brain

Dj Krush -Duality

I can hear the opening few notes to most of those and it brings an instant smile to my face. The Richard Ashcroft one is a sad one. Ive been listening to a lot of Autechre again recently ,  thats a more of a sit down ,close your eyes and chill one.

29599[/snapback]

Incunabula is a class album like. Do you have Amber too?

aye I really like Amber too, I prefer either one at different times/moods. Incunabula at the minute as its more 'musical' if you know what I mean.

I didnt like Tri Repetae that much and tbh havent really bothered with them since then. I might have to hunt down their newer stuff seeing as they've made a bit of a comeback.

aye I really like Amber too, I prefer either one at different times/moods. Incunabula at the minute as its more 'musical' if you know what I mean.

I didnt like Tri Repetae that much and tbh havent really bothered with them since then. I might have to hunt down their newer stuff seeing as they've made a bit of a comeback.

29611[/snapback]

I like their newer stuff too but it's more hard techno/drum and bass. It's pretty different to their early stuff.

Aphex Twin - Avril 14th

Happiest Piano tune ever.

29536[/snapback]

If you like it you should probably check out Erik Satie.

29540[/snapback]

Some quality piano there, nice one. Shame he's long gone though.

"I live for drugs" - My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult

"Running with the Devil" - Van Halen

"Waiting Room" - Fugazi

"When the Levee Breaks" - Led Zepplin

I was tempted to write "DO IT!" by Henry Rollins... but that song just doesn't do it for me. Black Flag was better with 'Chavo' Reyes anyway.

Andrew WK - She is beautiful

Coldplay - Fix you

U2 - Mysterious ways

Nirvana - In bloom

Live - Lightning crashes

Creed - My Sacrifice