Test Match Special

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Hopefully Collingwood can play and kick some arse with hi slow 70mph pace bowling. Ohhh, he's a miser lads!

29661[/snapback]

The thing is though, if Anderson plays and his bowling is erratic he's going to contribute very little to the team. With Collingwood, he may not bowl a lot but he can contribute with the bat and he is a superb fielder.

29664[/snapback]

So why not playe Tremlett, he's more accurate and has been 12th man for every test so far, James Anderson hasn't hit peak form for near 2 years since the world cup so...Colly or Trem for me. But I'd prefer another all out bowler. We already have 1 all rounder with Fred. Overcrowding the batting can be a bad thing.

29669[/snapback]

Tremlett's not in the squad for some reason.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why not playe Tremlett, he's more accurate and has been 12th man for every test so far, James Anderson hasn't hit peak form for near 2 years since the world cup so...Colly or Trem for me. But I'd prefer another all out bowler. We already have 1 all rounder with Fred. Overcrowding the batting can be a bad thing.

29669[/snapback]

With the last test being a good surface to bat, we can bat for 2 days in the 1st innings if we want as long as they don't bowl us out and play for a draw. Also Anderson's bowling can be very inaccurate at times and he tends to bowl it wide and long most of the time which will simply be knocked for 4. I'd agree with Tremlett though rather him over Anderson. Having Collingwood in the team when will he bat thats a big problem which most people don't think about and could disrupt the team.

Well a good anyalysis chip2388, but you made a mistake with the Bell and Martyn analysis - Bell has scored two fifties, and Martyn also scored a fifty in the first test.

Also Pietersen hasn't seems to have faded as the series has moved on, but still a great record for a first series, particularly against Australia. Not sure about the catching though... but he proved he can catch by taking quite a few in the ODIs.

Tremlett hasn't been picked most likely because he's not been bowling well for Hampshire, an example being in the C&G final. Tbh I never rated him anyway - just seems like a freakishly tall Harmison-esque bowler, just not as good.

Well a good anyalysis chip2388, but you made a mistake with the Bell and Martyn analysis - Bell has scored two fifties, and Martyn also scored a fifty in the first test.

Also Pietersen hasn't seems to have faded as the series has moved on, but still a great record for a first series, particularly against Australia. Not sure about the catching though... but he proved he can catch by taking quite a few in the ODIs.

Tremlett hasn't been picked most likely because he's not been bowling well for Hampshire, an example being in the C&G final. Tbh I never rated him anyway - just seems like a freakishly tall Harmison-esque bowler, just not as good.

29721[/snapback]

Oh yer sorry about that who would you prefer though Bell or Martyn based on the performances in the Ashes.

I'm sure Martyn is clearly the better player, but he is getting old, and Bell is only young, so he has a long way to go. However Martyn has been unlucky more than once due to dodgy umpire decisions. Despite this I am still not in favour of video technology. Imaganing it sounds silly - like every time there's an appeal you have to look at the screen to see the red zone - very intimidating for the batsman.

How much did that cost you?

Tempted to flog it on ebay for 500 quid? :D

29639[/snapback]

someone I know was lucky in the draw for 4 tickets - so its £ 47 (plus travel of course)

I have many many Australian friends and colleagues & I wouldn't miss this for the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Rob W

The Oval looked clear as a bell on TV this morning. Hopefully the storm clouds (meteorological rather than metaphorical) will gather before 10.30.

I've given up listening to the tactical arguments re Jones Replacement. IMHO this all comes down to bottle now. Hoping for help from the weather like everyone else but we have to believe we can go out there and win it.

The Oval looked clear as a bell on TV this morning. Hopefully the storm clouds (meteorological rather than metaphorical) will gather before 10.30.

I've given up listening to the tactical arguments re Jones Replacement. IMHO this all comes down to bottle now. Hoping for help from the weather like everyone else but we have to believe we can go out there and win it.

29958[/snapback]

I agree. There are arguments for the inclusion of either Collingwood or Anderson. It is a gamble either way, whichever gets the nod.

If things go according to plan, the decision of whoever got the place will be claimed to have been correct; if things go pear-shaped the 'experts' will all be telling us that the player left out should have played!

Whatever happens, win lose or draw, I am just glad that after such a long wait England are finally making a fist of taking on the convicts.

The biggest winner out of all this is cricket itself. Once the new supporters actually learn the nuances of the game, they will discover what I sincerely believe; and that is that cricket is the greatest game ever invented.

Just one black mark against Collingwood's inclusion in the team - isn't he a mackem?? :dancing::D

Slightly worried that the pressure might get to the guys today. One of the things I've always loved about cricket is that it doesn't get hyped up anywhere near as much as football. However, the media have jumped on this particular bandwagon and it could add to the pressure.

Collingwood to play

29997[/snapback]

And Australia to win. :D

30001[/snapback]

I take it you haven't seen the weather forecast then.

30002[/snapback]

I haven't because I'm actually in Melbourne right now. Please don't tell me it's going to rain. PLEASE don't say that. :dancing:

Collingwood to play

29997[/snapback]

And Australia to win. :D

30001[/snapback]

30002[/snapback]

I haven't because I'm actually in Melbourne right now. Please don't tell me it's going to rain. PLEASE don't say that. :dancing:

30004[/snapback]

At least a day forecast to be lost, my boy.

Nice to see football taking over the back pages again this morning though :D

29994[/snapback]

Aye, but one of the tabloids has this whole 'the real England boys are playing today to put the overpaid whingers to rights' blah blah blah bollocks. More pressure from the fical press. I remember the shit the tabloids gave the cricket team during the 90's.

Collingwood to play

29997[/snapback]

And Australia to win. :dancing:

30001[/snapback]

30002[/snapback]

I haven't because I'm actually in Melbourne right now. Please don't tell me it's going to rain. PLEASE don't say that. :ithankyou:

30004[/snapback]

Why, don't you want the weather to save you for the second time in the series? :D

And Australia to win. :ithankyou:

30001[/snapback]

I was trying to remember who faced the last ball of the Old Trafford test?

If Australia do win this test and the ashes are retained, whoever faced the last ball at Old Trafford can claim, quite rightly, to be the man who saved the ashes for Australia :DDefinitely a reason to never need to buy another drink again, I would have thought! :dancing: