Luque attracting interest

bawan

Newcastle forward Albert Luque has been linked with Levante and Feyenoord.

The Spaniard has not been able to establish himself at St James' Park since his £9.5million move from Deportivo La Coruna in 2005.

He has shown glimpses of some better form in pre-season, but is again unlikely to play a major role this term as the arrivals of Mark Viduka and Alan Smith have increased competition for places.

A number of clubs are understood to want Luque on loan, and his father and agent claims he is on the verge of striking a deal with Levante.

"I believe that we will soon be in Valencia," Rafael Luque told Las Provincias.

"I have attended some meetings this week and I expect a solution."

Feyenoord have also been credited with an interest in Luque, and the player is keen to assess all his options.

"I desire to leave England," Luque is quoted as saying in Las Provincias.

Levante move for Luque

Aug 10 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United are ready to write off the £10m they spent on Albert Luque – to save themselves paying the striker around £9m in wages.

Luque is on his way back to Spain to join Levante and there is talk that he will be going there on a season’s loan.

But I understand United are considering letting Luque go on a free, cutting their ties with the Spanish striker completely.

Luque still has three seasons left on his five-year contract and if he stayed at St James’ he would pocket £9m in wages.

If Luque does go to Levante, he will link up with former Toon winger Laurent Robert.

Ironically, both Luque and Robert were £10m signings by United, and it now looks like the club will be getting next to nothing back for either of these investments.

Indeed, United have probably never recovered financially from the £20m Graeme Souness spent on Luque and Jean Alain Boumsong.

But the departure of 29-year-old Luque will hardly weaken United as Sam Allardyce already has six other strikers at his disposal in Michael Owen, Alan Smith, Mark Viduka, Oba Martins, Shola Ameobi and Andy Carroll.

And deep down Luque must know that every one of these six were in front of him in the pecking order, making his decision to return to Spain an easy one.

i'm actually a bit disappointed. i would have been interested to see if big sam could coax a performance or two out of him or whether he really is the sterotypical gutless johny foreginer.

I'm going to be even more upset if he does leaves and starts setting the la liga on fire again! How about a loan deal, get him up to match fitness and then take him back when Owen leaves in January....

I`m a bit miffed about this, if it happens. Viduka & Owen are very injury prone, so we could end up with Martins & Shola up front FFS, luque has scored a few goals pre-season & was making the right noises. I would shift Ameobi first, he isnt a top six striker thats for sure

Shola`s had his chances, I would play Carroll as a target man if it came to it. I would say Luque has a lot more quality and can be more useful providing BS can get him 100% but if he decides to flog him then I trust his judgement as he`s the guy who sees him every day. If he does go then I would like to see another quality player come in (Gudjohnsen) ;) . I can dream

"I desire to leave England," Luque is quoted as saying in Las Provincias.

And they give him the job of looking after Enrique? ;) tremendous

I wonder what shite he would spout off to Enrique?, to put a little doubt in his head after the time he's had here?

Shola`s had his chances, I would play Carroll as a target man if it came to it. I would say Luque has a lot more quality and can be more useful providing BS can get him 100% but if he decides to flog him then I trust his judgement as he`s the guy who sees him every day. If he does go then I would like to see another quality player come in (Gudjohnsen) ;) . I can dream

i've yet to see luque display any quality in a united shirt tbh

I wonder what shite he would spout off to Enrique?, to put a little doubt in his head after the time he's had here?

Enrique said he spoke to Luque before he agreed to join so he couldn't have been saying anything too bad about us.

If he goes on loan or worse still for nowt thats unacceptable.

He's shite and he's not gonna get a game. Better that we get rid of him whatever the price to save on his wages.

So true, I think everyones expecting a new Luque after his few goals in pre-season, but other than his goals in the game he did fuck all really. Was just a case of right time, right place. He's too lightweight for the Premiership and I doubt he'll never make it, best get rid now for a little price than later for nowt.