Shearer ready to step in with Allardyce one game from the sack

Jimbo

I'm pretty sure he'd do really, really well tbh.

He'd have the status, momentum, respect and balls to do a great job. I'm not sure football management is as difficult as some people like to make out when you have those things on your side.

I heard a story about Viduka that makes think Shearer would be getting no respect there. Momentum is easily lost. Status? I'm afraid he only has status to us, I don't think he carries much weight amongst foreign players, who would frankly wonder why they are taking orders from someone only 5 years older than them. Even the current crop of supposed crap in the squad there a few player who can claim to have achieved more than him as footballers.

Bollocks, Shearer was recognised as one of the top strikers in the world at a time, even look at what Berbatov was saying recently about him, his status stretches much further than the Newcastle area.

The only thing is no one knows if he's got the coaching ability or tactical nous for the job until he actually manages a team.

He stretches around the world. When I was in Thailand, people would see me toon shirt, and everywhere they'd go "Aran Sheila", RICO's post is the most laughable I've seen on here in quite some time.

What relevance is that? Some Thai gadgie knows his name so that means Premiership players will respect him?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevieintoon

He'd have the status, momentum, respect and balls to do a great job. I'm not sure football management is as difficult as some people like to make out when you have those things on your side.

I heard a story about Viduka that makes think Shearer would be getting no respect there. Momentum is easily lost. Status? I'm afraid he only has status to us, I don't think he carries much weight amongst foreign players, who would frankly wonder why they are taking orders from someone only 5 years older than them. Even the current crop of supposed crap in the squad there a few player who can claim to have achieved more than him as footballers.

:birthday:

Which current player is recognised by his fellow professionals and the FAPL officially as being the best player the leagues ever had. Which player has scored 30% more goals than any other Premiership footballer? Which current player is the only one in Premiership history to score 30 league goals three seasons running? Which current toon player, has finished as top scorer at a major international tournament? Which current Toon player has moved for a world record transfer fee? Which current toon player won a side the league almost single handed? Which current toon player REGULARLY captained one of the top 10 countries in the world?

Don't give me Michael Owen won the Ballon D'Or. Owen knows his place when it comes to Shearer.

I wasn't even thinking of Owen. On the basis of all that written there, do you think Henry should be the next Arsenal manager next year?

Why would he become a manager, when he's still at the height of his playing career? I think it's entirely dependent on the personality of the candidate as well. Shearer is everything personality wise I would expect from someone who strives to be a top manager. Henry should stick to doing car adverts.

Bollocks, Shearer was recognised as one of the top strikers in the world at a time, even look at what Berbatov was saying recently about him, his status stretches much further than the Newcastle area.

The only thing is no one knows if he's got the coaching ability or tactical nous for the job until he actually manages a team.

Do you think Berbatov would be happy to be managed by him right now? It's one thing to give respect to a fellow professional player, it's another to transfer that into respect as a manager.

What about Rudi Voller, who's first managerial position was the krauts who he took to the WC Final. Or what about Klinsmann who did a great job. Van Basten hasn't done bad. Dalglish won the league in his first season. Keegan whether people on here like to admit it or not, was the best manager we've had since the 50's etc etc etc etc

National teams are much different, and are always going to respect past players. Keegan wasn't taking over a team of top players in the Premiership, they were shite, in his own words. Him and Terry Mac even considered putting their boots on, its not even comparable.

Edited by RlCO

Guest stevieintoon

Do you think Berbatov would be happy to be managed by him right now? It's one thing to give respect to a fellow professional player, it's another to transfer that into respect as a manager.

What about Rudi Voller, who's first managerial position was the krauts who he took to the WC Final. Or what about Klinsmann who did a great job. Van Basten hasn't done bad. Dalglish won the league in his first season. Keegan whether people on here like to admit it or not, was the best manager we've had since the 50's etc etc etc etc

National teams are much different, and are always going to respect past players. Keegan wasn't taking over a team of top players in the Premiership, they were shite, in his own words. Him and Terry Mac even considered putting their boots on, its not even comparable.

:birthday: pmsl

and Shearer would be?

Guest stevieintoon

To be honest on one hand you say Keegan didn't take over top Premiership players, so you're saying it's less stressful and easier to manage mediocre players in a shite league, then on the other hand you dismiss international management, where the players are as good as it gets. If anything you have to be far far more tactically aware as an international manager as you are in a Premiership position. As far as I'm concerned as well, anybody who thinks Shearer wouldn't command respect, to put it bluntly, knows absolutely FUCK ALL about football.

:birthday: pmsl

and Shearer would be?

Of course not, Cacapa is a Division One donkey. Probably a mackem too.

Its asking for trouble that there are still some players and staff left over from when he played at the club. Any old bad blood could spark problems in the dressing room before hes even started!

Aye, I had thought about that myself but tbf there aren't too many players left from his last season here.

Tbh, you can't say either way because there are good arguments as to why Shearer would and wouldn't be a success here. I just get the feeling it would be the former. And I don't think respect / his standing in the game would be a problem. Quite the opposite in fact.

To be honest on one hand you say Keegan didn't take over top Premiership players, so you're saying it's less stressful and easier to manage mediocre players in a shite league, then on the other hand you dismiss international management, where the players are as good as it gets. If anything you have to be far far more tactically aware as an international manager as you are in a Premiership position. As far as I'm concerned as well, anybody who thinks Shearer wouldn't command respect, to put it bluntly, knows absolutely FUCK ALL about football.

Rubbish, international teams pretty much pick themselves, and the tactics come from that. What tough tactical decisions did McLaren really have to take? Arguably he over complicated what is compared to Premiership football an easy job, and failed because of it.

I've heard plenty stories where so called top former players/managers like Shearer have been treated appalingly by Premiership players, these are different people to your average fan. And once again, players giving respect to a fellow player is nothing like giving respect as a manager. Nothing at all.

I think tactical astuteness and adaptability are more important at international level than in any other part of the game because of the restrictions in the players you can choose from.

Edited by alex

One thing I've noticed lately is that it seems everyone is frightened to say exactly how they feel, you've got the 'give Allardyce time' mob who imo really want shot of him but are afraid to sound fickle, then you've got the 'he'll have to go shortly mob' who also want shot but don't want to look like they're being hasty.

Fucking hilarious.

Well for me I decided at the weekend that I don't like him and I don't think he's the man to take the club forward. When he was appointed I was happy and I liked the look of his signings etc but after seeing his subs and tactics I think he's a fat, arrogant wanker who hides behind smoke and mirrors, and if the truth be known I bet his self imposed ban on speaking to the BBC is killing him because he fucking loves the limelight as much as FS.

I've never seen the fans be so one sided either, there was even people backing Souness, Daglish etc but everyone I've spoke to wants shot of BS.

I'd take Shearer with a decent coach alongside him any day over what I've seen on offer from BS

Edited by Wacky Jnr

Guest stevieintoon

Rubbish, international teams pretty much pick themselves, and the tactics come from that. What tough tactical decisions did McLaren really have to take? Arguably he over complicated what is compared to Premiership football an easy job, and failed because of it.

I've heard plenty stories where so called top former players/managers like Shearer have been treated appalingly by Premiership players, these are different people to your average fan. And once again, players giving respect to a fellow player is nothing like giving respect as a manager. Nothing at all.

Complete and utter joke comment and one of the few times I've genuinely laughed at my monitor.

Guest stevieintoon
I think tactical astuteness and adaptability are more important at international level than in any other part of the game because of the restrictions in the players you can choose from.

Absolutely, surely the lad is on the wind up?

Complete and utter joke comment and one of the few times I've genuinely laughed at my monitor.

I suppose you wanted Heskey and Bently in then? Nah, you wanted Harper in goal didn't you?

Guest stevieintoon
One thing I've noticed lately is that it seems everyone is frightened to say exactly how they feel, you've got the 'give Allardyce time' mob who imo really want shot of him but are afraid to sound fickle, then you've got the 'he'll have to go shortly mob' who also want shot but don't want to look like they're being hasty.

Fucking hilarious.

Well for me I decided at the weekend that I don't like him and I don't think he's the man to take the club forward. When he was appointed I was happy and I liked the look of his signings etc but after seeing his subs and tactics I think he's a fat, arrogant wanker who hides behind smoke and mirrors, and if the truth be known I bet his self imposed ban on speaking to the BBC is killing him because he fucking loves the limelight as much as FS.

I've never seen the fans be so one sided either, there was even people backing Souness, Daglish etc but everyone I've spoke to wants shot of BS.

I'd take Shearer with a decent coach alongside him any day over what I've seen on offer from BS

One of your best posts. I've never liked him.

Fucking hilarious.

In all honesty Wacky I'm not sure what is the right thing to do. It sounds like sitting on the fence but I really don't know what is best. I was all for Allardyce though, mainly as I thought the club needed sorting out off the pitch even more than on it. That confidence in him to get it right has been eroded over the last few weeks due to some bizarre decisions but it was only about 4 games ago everyone thought he was alright.

And once again, players giving respect to a fellow player is nothing like giving respect as a manager. Nothing at all.

Ultimately a manager will be respected on what he does as a manager but there is not doubt that if Shearer walked through the dressing room door as manager he'd command a hell of a lot more respect than some lower league journey man in his first job.

And once again, players giving respect to a fellow player is nothing like giving respect as a manager. Nothing at all.

Ultimately a manager will be respected on what he does as a manager but there is not doubt that if Shearer walked through the dressing room door as manager he'd command a hell of a lot more respect than some lower league journey man in his first job.

Is that what you class Allardyce as? A lower league journey man? EDIT: read it wrong, first job...

Quite right, but I don't think we would ever get a lower league journey man coming here as his first job.

Edited by RlCO

Guest stevieintoon

I suppose you wanted Heskey and Bently in then? Nah, you wanted Harper in goal didn't you?

Well he's better than Robinson. Green would merit inclusion at the moment.

Your comment however about international teams picking themselves is a joke, as is your tactics don't come in to it. You think Italy would approach a game against the Faroes in the same way they would against France. If it was 2006 again, they'd have someone on Zidane everywhere he goes. The team picking itself gets me. I mean come on think about Marc Overmars raping the England right back at Wembley in the early 90's. I think Dixon was full back that night, if it was me I'd have had a pacey RB like Earl Barrett. There are more permeatations to cope with the opposition in international football than there are in club football. As for Scotland, McPish used at least 3 different formations.

Fucking hilarious.

In all honesty Wacky I'm not sure what is the right thing to do. It sounds like sitting on the fence but I really don't know what is best. I was all for Allardyce though, mainly as I thought the club needed sorting out off the pitch even more than on it. That confidence in him to get it right has been eroded over the last few weeks due to some bizarre decisions but it was only about 4 games ago everyone thought he was alright.

Thats how I felt last week but after the weekends game I just got the feeling that he's not the man for the job. There were two old fellas nearly stuck into it in the bar over Allardyce and his shit he's been serving up, never even seen that under Souness :birthday:

The general consensus where I drink is get rid, I didn't hear him getting backing from one person at the weekend, damage is done imo

Fucking hilarious.

Thats how I felt last week but after the weekends game I just got the feeling that he's not the man for the job. There were two old fellas nearly stuck into it in the bar over Allardyce and his shit he's been serving up, never even seen that under Souness :birthday:

The general consensus where I drink is get rid, I didn't hear him getting backing from one person at the weekend, damage is done imo

Aye, it's a long road back for him, assuming there is a road back. I was telling people in the pub after the Liverpool game that it was kicking-off near me after the chanting of 'You don't know what you're doing' etc. Never quite seen anything like it at a homegame and never as early in a manager's reign. The majority of people were anti-Allardyce like with a few people ready to take on all-comers on the other side. I just sat there in disbelief really; at everything.

Aye, it's a long road back for him, assuming there is a road back. I was telling people in the pub after the Liverpool game that it was kicking-off near me after the chanting of 'You don't know what you're doing' etc. Never quite seen anything like it at a homegame and never as early in a manager's reign. The majority of people were anti-Allardyce like with a few people ready to take on all-comers on the other side. I just sat there in disbelief really; at everything.

Aye, I heard that. Sometimes you've just got to keep your mouth shut. Lad behind me has turned into a right bitter bastid, he's gone from being a piss taker and laughing about it when things are going bad like us to pretty viciously booing Geremi, Barton (before the comments) and Owen. Seems like even the more 'sensible' fans are getting frustrated at the moment.

Aye, I heard that. Sometimes you've just got to keep your mouth shut. Lad behind me has turned into a right bitter bastid, he's gone from being a piss taker and laughing about it when things are going bad like us to pretty viciously booing Geremi, Barton (before the comments) and Owen. Seems like even the more 'sensible' fans are getting frustrated at the moment.

It is getting far worse amongst the fans in terms of the general attitude. A large majority now at the match just turn so quickly on the team and manager in a game its like its on a hair trigger and will go at the slightest thing. Back in the day it could actually take a long while for a majority in the ground to be on their back.

I think i'm actually quite lucky in that where i sit its by and large the same people and whilst like everyone we've all been taken over by the depression and anger of recent years there isnt particularly arguments between people or any nastiness directed to each other, and thats in quite a wide area from my seat. The last argument i remember was me with some fat bloke who kept defending Souness, he doesn't go to the match anymore now!

It is getting far worse amongst the fans in terms of the general attitude. A large majority now at the match just turn so quickly on the team and manager in a game its like its on a hair trigger and will go at the slightest thing. Back in the day it could actually take a long while for a majority in the ground to be on their back.

I think i'm actually quite lucky in that where i sit its by and large the same people and whilst like everyone we've all been taken over by the depression and anger of recent years there isnt particularly arguments between people or any nastiness directed to each other, and thats in quite a wide area from my seat. The last argument i remember was me with some fat bloke who kept defending Souness, he doesn't go to the match anymore now!

Gemmill sits in the East Stand now.