Shearer ready to step in with Allardyce one game from the sack

Jimbo

This is the trouble with being born into supporting Newcastle - you can't go and support someone else, you can only feel varying levels of passion or disillusionment depending on what you're being served up, so I suppose it's difficult to know how else to register your discontent (both with the current performances and the way the football industry is developing in general) other than giving your money to the local pub instead. If I move back north at some point, I fully intend to get a season ticket again regardless of how we're doing, but that's not to say I can't understand the logic behind those who've had enough, I just don't think I'd ever get that far myself. It's still worth the bits where it feels like a life sentence for the moments when everything falls into place.

Spot on really. The last couple of seasons have been the most depressing that I have known, the football has been crap (although I've been going long enough to remember worse) and the crowd has ranged from apathetic to aggresive and the high points have been very few and far between. My love of football is what's suffering the most. I still always want to be at the match but more often than not I can no longer be bothered to watch matches on the telly.

I won't ever give away my season ticket though and I will keep hoping that we are going to see things get right.

Back on the topic of Allardyce, while I still believe he would be able to do a good job for us given the propper time I just think he's never going to get it and I would not be at all surprised if he wasn't in charge come Saturday (if he is and we don't win he certainly won't be for much longer).

The more I think about it the more I am behind the idea of Shearer coming in. The club (more importantly the fans) seems in need of something to reignite it in the same way it did when Keegan arrived. It's sad to say this considering how short a period it is since we were in the champions league and we are obviously in a much better position now than we were when McKeag was in charge but it really does feel like the whole place is so flat. The prodical son coming home might just be the thing to do it. I only hope that if it happens he brings in some experienced quality coaches and not just go with his fan favourite mates like Lee & Speed.

I cant imagine it having the same effect though, I'm sure Shearer wont be allowed the time ( by the fans) in the way that Keegan was. Also Shearer has only been gone a season and there has been almost constant speculation about him being our boss unlike Keegan who came more out of the blue.

I don't see anyone being given much time anymore but I do think Shearer would get more than any other manager from the fans and if the fans give him time then he will in turn get time from his boss

You're right about the constant speculation which was there well before he even retired. It might not be the same thing as Keegan as he came right out of the blue with no one ever considering that he would be our manager. But I do think it is possible that Shearer might be able to get everyone united and put a bit of a spring in peoples step.

Tbh I can't really believe that I am starting to advocate this at all but the way the fans have turned on Allardyce so quickly this season really has made me think that no one other than Shearer would get the backing required to put things right. I that might be the key factor.

doomed to a high profile failure making us a laughing stock yet again. I have seen nothing to suggest that shearer could do a job as a manager see, he was a crap captain and he never even bothered to try to motivate the treats. He's a typical selfish striker, is there any evidence of strikers making good managers? I cant think of any tbh

Keegan?

Alex Ferguson?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Klinsmann, Van Basten...

There is a big differance between those names and the particlular football cultures they come from and Shearer. There is also a massive differance in the set ups they walked into compared to ours.

Klinsmann, Van Basten...

There is a big differance between those names and the particlular football cultures they come from and Shearer. There is also a massive differance in the set ups they walked into compared to ours.

yeah exactly

thats what i meant like

:D

when has a geordie forward ever made it as a good manager in these post sky days of premiership football?

doomed to failure see

Klinsmann, Van Basten...

yeah exactly

thats what i meant like

when has a geordie forward ever made it as a good manager in these post sky days of premiership football?

doomed to failure see

Probably.

However if he finished his badges and learnt his trade and maybe did an internship at a top Euro outfit and managed some other no hopers to a modicum of success I'd reconsider. Too early too big a risk and not fair on the man himself.

Klinsmann, Van Basten...

yeah exactly

thats what i meant like

doomed to failure see

You're spot on like. And I've never seen a goalkeeper from the Croydon area make it as a manager since the Champions league was introduced either. So it'll never happen.

If Shearer does somehow end up becoming manager in the next few months it will mean Mort and Ashley are clueless.

I'm not so sure. There as many reasons why Shearer should be manager as shouldn't. Being in the game a long time hasn't made an inspirational manager out of Allardyce or McClaren. Similarly our best manager in recent memory had no experience, just a shitload of passion and charisma. That was a risk as all appointments are tbf.

How many of us are wishing we'd got Sven, again, at the time we all thought he'd need too much money and be in the papers the whole time. And yet there are Man City, with a top manager and a billionaire owner and far closer to breaking into the top 4 than we are.

If BS doesn't get his troops fired up and playing a hell of a lot better, I couldn't care less about his methods, he'll have lost the players and the public and it will only be a matter of time before he's shown the door. It's a fact of life at NUFC.

Edited by Asprilla's foreskin

If Shearer does somehow end up becoming manager in the next few months it will mean Mort and Ashley are clueless.

I'm not so sure. There as many reasons why Shearer should be manager as shouldn't. Being in the game a long time hasn't made an inspirational manager out of Allardyce or McClaren. Similarly our best manager in recent memory had no experience, just a shitload of passion and charisma. That was a risk as all appointments are tbf.

How many of us are wishing we'd got Sven, again, at the time we all thought he'd need too much money and be in the papers the whole time. And yet there are Man City, with a top manager and a billionaire owner and far closer to breaking into the top 4 than we are.

If BS doesn't get his troops fired up and playing a hell of a lot better, I couldn't care less about his methods, he'll have lost the players and the public and it will only be a matter of time before he's shown the door. It's a fact of life at NUFC.

The nature of the PL has changed massively over the last decade the depth of good sides stretches into the top 8. It's technically better, there are many better players...If charisma was all that was needed I'd win the league every year. :D

The nature of the PL has changed massively over the last decade the depth of good sides stretches into the top 8. It's technically better, there are many better players...If charisma was all that was needed I'd win the league every year. :D

:icon_lol:

"Kick out the style bring back the jam". :D

:icon_lol:

"Kick out the style bring back the jam". :D

Boy was it Knee Deep Yeah!

The 'proven' managers we appointed in the past - Dalglish, Gullit and Robson (to a much lesser extent) hardly brought huge success did they?

The 'proven' managers we appointed in the past - Dalglish, Gullit and Robson (to a much lesser extent) hardly brought huge success did they?

This is a 'right here right now' moment.

Shearer isn't ready. Infact his cheeky little grin will buy him about 2 months.

That is rather reactive, aka Freddy Shepherd of you Ally.

That is rather reactive, aka Freddy Shepherd of you Ally.

I know, I was just trying to put the point out that we've had no luck with proven managers so what harm would a rookie do.

Not that I advocate sacking Allardyce and appointing Shearer though, was just saying.

The other point to remember though, is that whatever happens, any blip by any other manager and the story goes back to the return of the prodigal son. The same thing was true (to a lesser extent) with Spurs and Hoddle. It didn't work out and now nobody gives it a second thought. Shearer looms over the club and he's either going to be the next Alex Ferguson or the next Chris Coleman, but I can't see the story going away (or the thick as pigshit charvers shutting up) until he's been given a go.

The other point to remember though, is that whatever happens, any blip by any other manager and the story goes back to the return of the prodigal son. The same thing was true (to a lesser extent) with Spurs and Hoddle. It didn't work out and now nobody gives it a second thought. Shearer looms over the club and he's either going to be the next Alex Ferguson or the next Chris Coleman, but I can't see the story going away (or the thick as pigshit charvers shutting up) until he's been given a go.

...or the fucking meddling media... :D

...or the fucking meddling media... :D

Sadly the media take their lead from the fans, it doesn't take 2 minutes to find many quotes from Toon fans on the net or in the street who want Sam sacked and Shearer installed right now (or IF! we get beat by Arsenal - what's that all about?). Even a few enlightened ones honestly seem to think that if Sam went now and we couldn't get Mourhino, Capello, Lippi etc, then he should get the job.

I have a bad feeling that we will ruin him before he actually gets a chance to do a good job here, he won't ever be given the chance to manage at another club unless we are flying, he will be called on until he comes here and, on the balance of all probabilites, achieves nothing.