Capello closes in on England post

luckyluke

Capello closes in on England post

_44293440_capelloafpcredit203.jpg Italian Capello has won domestic titles in both Italy and Spain Fabio Capello could be installed as the new England manager by the end of the week, BBC Sport understands. The Italian, 61, is expected to fly in to London for formal talks with the Football Association on Wednesday - and a deal could be sealed within days.

The ex-Real Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan and Roma coach has already said he is keen to succeed Steve McClaren.

"There's been contact with Capello and there will be more," said Radio 5 Live football correspondent Jonathan Legard.

video_text.gifInterview: Fabio Capello (Football Focus on 24/11/07) audio_text.gifInterview: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger "If terms and conditions can be agreed today, away from the glare centred on the FA's headquarters in Soho Square, Capello could be announced (as England boss) little more than three weeks after England crashed out of Euro 2008."

o.gif 606: DEBATE Lippi would be my personal choice, but Capello hardly comes in a poor second

BBC Sport's Phil McNulty

Marcello Lippi, who steered Italy to success in the 2006 World Cup, is thought to be Capello's main rival for the job.

Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho had been the favourite to succeed McClaren, but he pulled out of the running after holding talks with FA chief executive Brian Barwick and director of football Sir Trevor Brooking.

As for former Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann and Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill, they look to have fallen down the pecking order.

Contact between the FA and Capello has so far been between intermediaries, the BBC understands, but that is all set to change.

Capello has won nine league titles in 16 years as a coach, picking up silverware with all four clubs he has taken charge of.

He won the Champions League with Milan in 1994 and was also an accomplished player, winning 32 caps as a midfielder for the national team.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger believes England could not choose a better-qualified coach but expressed concern about the Italian's grasp of English, which is said to be limited.

o.gif The only problem he could have, I don't know how good his English is. But the technical job, you don't have to worry about him

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger

"Capello is a strong character," confirmed Wenger.

"He has a clear idea of what he wants. I believe as well he's a strong winner. The guy is convinced of the methods he uses. The quality of the candidate is outstanding.

"The only problem he could have, I don't know how good his English is. A big part of the job is to deal with the media.

"But the technical job, you don't have to worry about him."

Legard said Capello's potential language difficulties are not a major barrier to his appointment.

"While nothing has been taken for granted, Arsene Wenger's reservations over Capello's lack of English aren't shared within the FA, whose greater concern is for an English presence within his coaching staff," added Legard.

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is another big fan of Capello.

"To manage a national team you need to be a certain age with plenty of experience and with a presence and a CV that is indisputable and Capello has all of that," said the Scot.

Giancarlo Galavotti, London correspondent for Gazzetta dello Sport, believes that a deal between Capello and the FA could be struck by the end of the week.

"Of course they have not yet sat together to discuss all the details but it appears that, barring anything absolutely dramatic, I would say that possibly by the end of the week everything will be sealed, " he said.

"If England go for a foreign coach there is hardly anyone better than him.

o.gif I would say that his credentials are incredible. If the class of Fabio Capello fails then it is very worrying for the England national team

Italian journalist Giancarlo Galavotti

"I would say he is more of a Sir Alex Ferguson sort of character. He is very much his own man, very much wants to win and if winning means to set aside players or even staff who have been with him for many years he will do that because he has got only one aim and that is to win.

"I would say that his credentials are incredible. If the class of Fabio Capello fails then it is very worrying for the England national team."

Capello was sacked by Real in June, despite guiding them to La Liga crown and since then, he has been working as a commentator for Italian television company RAI.

According to BBC sources, RAI have already begun the search for his replacement, seemingly convinced he is about to be given the England job.

Former Chelsea star Gianfranco Zola has voiced his support for Capello, saying he "possesses the ideal pedigree to create a new era of success for England".

He added: "Even when Jose Mourinho was in the running I believed that Capello had even more charisma, talent and experience for a challenging job like this one."

McClaren was sacked on 22 November after England failed to qualify for next year's European Championship.

Apparently between him and Lippi. Although I would prefer the latter owing to his international experience (especially as it includes winning last year's world cup!), Capello seems like a good choice.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's the best club manager of the past 15 years.

Won the domestic title at every club iirc. Mental. Also, I think the ideal international manager should be a 'wily old fox' as it were rather than someone learning their trade.

It's not like they've got a lot of choice really.

As for not speaking English, well if he just takes to wacking them with a stick when they aren't doing what he wants he may well gets some decent results. :unsure:

As for not speaking English, well if he just takes to wacking them with a stick when they aren't doing what he wants he may well gets some decent results. :unsure:

Tbh for such a nightmare job there's no shortage of candidates - Lippi, Capello, Mourhino and Klinsmann have all expressed interest in the post in some way or another.

Tbh for such a nightmare job there's no shortage of candidates - Lippi, Capello, Mourhino and Klinsmann have all expressed interest in the post in some way or another.

The xenophobic nature of our countrymen may just accept Klinsmann as he's more of an American than a Kraut now anyways.

That's the problem like. When McLaren went and Lippi and Capello were supposed to be interested, I thought either would be ideal despite their lack of English, given there's plenty of time and they're intelligent guys etc. You just know however, that the press will use their nationality etc. as a stick to beat them with as soon as they don't perform miracles.

Edited by alex

That's the problem like. When McLaren went and Lippi and Capello were supposed to be interested, I thought either would be ideal despite their lack of English, given there's plenty of time and they're intelligent guys etc. You just know however, that the press will use their nationality etc. as a stick to beat them with as soon as they don't perform miracles.

That's why I'm not sure the likes of Mourhino were necessarily ever really interested. Probably more interested in seeing if they could get an amazing pay deal or using it to boost their chances of other jobs.

The England job is one where you've got to either have nothing to lose or want it for some very specific reason (be it sheer cash or allowing you to do it with other commitments etc.).

That's why I'm not sure the likes of Mourhino were necessarily ever really interested. Probably more interested in seeing if they could get an amazing pay deal or using it to boost their chances of other jobs.

The England job is one where you've got to either have nothing to lose or want it for some very specific reason (be it sheer cash or allowing you to do it with other commitments etc.).

Mourinho's agent / spokesman said on Radio 5 that he thought it was an old man's job too. I think he's more interested in managing club sides for now.

You just know however, that the press will use their nationality etc. as a stick to beat them with as soon as they don't perform miracles.

Given the contrasting successes of Sven and McClaren I doubt that will happen so much now, one of the silver linings in the dark cloud that was the McClaren era. Although when did logic ever have anything to do with what the Sun printed?

You just know however, that the press will use their nationality etc. as a stick to beat them with as soon as they don't perform miracles.

Given the contrasting successes of Sven and McClaren I doubt that will happen so much now, one of the silver linings in the dark cloud that was the McClaren era. Although when did logic ever have anything to do with what the Sun printed?

Who ever gets the job has a golden opportunity now after McClaren, anything short of another total failure should keep most of the heat off them.

I know where Luke and you are coming from but anything short of qualifying for a tournament and (at the very least) glorious failure will see the press baying for blood imo.

Jeff Powell in the Daily Mail will be livid about this.

Best thing about appointing Capello IYAM. :unsure:

And Alex, I agree really. We've already seen that picking the best English option is stupid, so although it should, it won't stop Powell, the Sun, Ian Wright, etc.

I think capello's favoured style of football could work well for us, I'm all for it

Yep, his defensive style of football should be well suited. He'll also keep in line players who have big egos as well as the big salaries. I'm all for the appointment.

We've already seen that picking the best English option is stupid,................................

I don't agree with that statement Mr. Luckyluke!!

If you're referring to picking McClaren, he was in no way the best English option.

Is it 3-5-2 or 2-5-1 Capello favours?

I remember at Real they speculated he'd immediately adopt his favoured formation with 2 holding midfielders, and sure enough, Emerson and Diarra played there. The Real fans didn't like it as they found it far too cautious, especially at home.

Is it 3-5-2 or 2-5-1 Capello favours?

I remember at Real they speculated he'd immediately adopt his favoured formation with 2 holding midfielders, and sure enough, Emerson and Diarra played there. The Real fans didn't like it as they found it far too cautious, especially at home.

Thats only 8 outfield players man.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2226020,00.html

1 He is a winner

Wherever he has gone as a manager Fabio Capello has won trophies. Through 16 seasons at Milan, Real Madrid, Roma and Juventus he has accrued nine domestic titles - albeit that the 2004-05 and 2005-06 Scudettos he won with Juventus have since been revoked in the fallout from the Calciopoli match-fixing scandal - and a Champions League. That said, his record in knockout competition is not great. Aside from that 1994 European Cup triumph with Milan his only cup wins have come in that year's Uefa Super Cup and the Italian Super Cup (equivalent to the Community Shield).

2 He does not take friendlies lightly

Do not expect to see Capello sending on Franny Jeffers the next time Australia come to town. During Milan's money-spinning tour of China at the end of the 1996 season he deployed a three-striker formation in a friendly against a China XI, but then pulled Paolo Di Canio for a midfielder at half-time to protect a 1-0 lead. When Di Canio asked why he cared so much about the result of a friendly, Capello shot back with a barrage of expletives and added: "Your face looks like a penis." Di Canio never played for Milan again.

3 He knows how to win at Wembley

Back in his less feted playing days, Capello was a rather handy midfielder, winning the Italian title three times with Juventus and once with Milan. His own personal highlight, however, came against England at Wembley on November 14 1973, during one of 32 appearances for Italy. "The best moment of my career," he says of the 85th-minute strike with which he secured a 1-0 victory for Italy, their first ever away win against England.

4 Before he was a manager he was ... a manager

When his playing career came to an end, Capello did not slide seamlessly into the first vacant Serie A hotseat. In fact, although he began working with Milan's youth team almost immediately and was given a six-game stint at the end of the 1986-87 season, he landed the Rossoneri job long-term only in 1991 - having retired from playing in 1980 - after he had impressed Silvio Berlusconi with his work in a series of managerial roles for the Fininvest business empire.

5 He is a bit of an art buff

"In my house there are no pictures of me with trophies or cups," Capello has said. "Those sorts of things are closed away inside boxes." Easy to say when you have a £10m private art collection.

6 He is not as boring as some people think

The former Italy manager Arrigo Sacchi once said, "for Capello, football is all about winning. He does not see beauty in the game", but though many Real Madrid fans might agree, Capello is no committed dullard. It was he who brought Gabriel Batistuta to Roma and adjusted his favoured 4-4-2 into a 3-4-1-2 to ensure Batistuta, Francesco Totti and Vincenzo Montella could play together - even if not in every game. Much like Jose Mourinho, Capello sees winning as the first priority, but is not adverse to doing so attractively.

7 He will not bow to the big names

There's only ever been room for one ego in Capello's squads, and that's his. A man who has dropped and fallen out with Totti, Alessandro Del Piero and Edgar Davids is hardly likely to be lose his nerve at the prospect of a Gary Neville-led uprising. Sick of perceived laziness from Ronaldo at Real Madrid he resorted to asking him "Aren't you ashamed of being so fat?" in front of his team-mates as he left the showers. The striker was sold to Milan the next month.

8 You might not want to boo him

Capello's temper is notorious. "People say I'm impatient when it comes to football and they're right," said a man who has made abusive gestures at fans more than once, most recently in Real Madrid's 1-0 win over Real Zaragoza in January. "Why should I waste my time listening to people who are clearly less intelligent than me?"

9 He does not dwell on his mistakes

Capello may have backed down last season on his claim that David Beckham would never play for Real Madrid again but he's not generally one for excessive reflection. "I never watch matches I played in or coached," he has claimed. "I only look ahead."

10 His image rights are probably worth more than Steve Bruce's

Those natty specs don't just look good - they're a tidy little earner for Capello, who is sponsored by Zeroh+. According to the Zeroh+ website, they "match the style and infinite attention to detail plus the drive and sporting vitality that epitomises him in every aspect of his life". Right.

:unsure: