Sir Bobby: My sacking started the problems

Jimbo

Former Newcastle manager Sir Bobby Robson believes the club's problems can be traced back to his departure from St James' Park.

Robson was in charge for five years before being sacked after a poor run of results at the start of the 2004-05 season.

Graeme Souness and Glenn Roeder followed but failed to live up to expectations on Tyneside and now Sam Allardyce, only appointed in the summer, is the latest to feel the pressure.

After five games without a win Allardyce was said to be one more bad result from the sack before last week's creditable draw with Barclays Premier League leaders Arsenal.

Robson told Setanta Sports: "I took the club over when it was bottom of the league and in the last three years I was there it was third, fourth and fifth. We were in the top five for the last three years.

"I lost my job rather abruptly, I couldn't believe it. I was stunned, I couldn't believe it.

"I didn't lose two consecutive matches and I lost my job, it was crazy. Without being egotistical, the club has suffered ever since.

"They are a long way from where they were and where they should be."

Newcastle followed up their draw against the Gunners by beating Birmingham last weekend and Robson has seen signs of improvement.

The 74-year-old said: "They've had a very mixed season. They had a good start, some people say the best start in 10 years, but that's just a start.

"But in some cases they have played very poorly. Recently there has been a slight improvement, they just drew against Arsenal, but they could have won.

"For me that was their best performance yet, I was delighted about that. There was a fury and bite about the team and a real passion to win. I was delighted about that."

Newcastle face another of Robson's former clubs, Fulham, at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Robson began his playing career with the Cottagers and also had a short stint as their manager in the late 1960s.

Although things werent clearly right at the end of the Robson era I'm sure we would have stayed around the top six mark if Bobby didnt get the chop.

A few years later and some of usare thinking 10th would be a good finish.

Good or bad decision to sack him??

terrible sdecision to sack him, but he was clearly losing touch with little things on match day... players names.. tactics etc. :unsure:

still think he should have moved upstairs, can you think of a better man to oversee the club?

In my opinion he needed to go, but should have been moved upstairs with some dignity at the end of the previous season.

The way he was treated was nothing short of a disgrace.

He should have gone at the end of that season. The whole situation was handled badly right from when FFS announced to the world it was going to be SBR's last season before he'd told him. Bobby deserved a bit of respect.

should have been sacked, he couldsnt see the team was shite ie he had signed too many mediocre players and insisted on playing them eg milner/jenas/portugese flop etc

The 5-0 vs chelsea[think tinkerman was still manager] showed where we were at ie going downhill

should have been sacked, he couldsnt see the team was shite ie he had signed too many mediocre players and insisted on playing them eg milner/jenas/portugese flop etc

The 5-0 vs chelsea[think tinkerman was still manager] showed where we were at ie going downhill

He bought Milner the summer prior to him being sacked ffs.

The 6-2 home defeat or the Partizan CL elimination was the beginning of the end. Was the absolute correct decision for NUFC and Sir Bobby to part company at the time.

Basically, what Jimbo and 2J said :unsure:

`He bought Milner the summer prior to him being sacked ffs.`

well i dont think the 12 months improved his level of performance. Milner was not the oustanding talent sir bob was hoping for, he is workmanlike and a team player.....a fine addition to a midtable team!

`

`He bought Milner the summer prior to him being sacked ffs.`

well i dont think the 12 months improved his level of performance. Milner was not the oustanding talent sir bob was hoping for, he is workmanlike and a team player.....a fine addition to a midtable team!

`

Milner was bought in the summer of 2004, the same year Sir Bobby was sacked.

The 6-2 home defeat or the Partizan CL elimination was the beginning of the end. Was the absolute correct decision for NUFC and Sir Bobby to part company at the time.

Basically, what Jimbo and 2J said :unsure:

Solano's falling out with Sir Bobby and subsequent sale

Gary Speed being sold behind Bobby's back

Kieron Dyer not wanting to play at right midfield

Bobby getting sacked after the transfer window closed

SOUNESS?!?!?! Appointed

GS starting to fall out with key players who helped us reach such heights under Bobby => Bellend calls him wanker as subbed and liar in interview

GS spending 8 mill on Boumsong, a player who Bobby didn't sign when he could have for free that summer because he looked dodge to him

GS buying Babayaro =/

Bellamy => Celtic

GS falling out with Kluivert

GS falling out with Robert before important UEFA game

etc etc etc

calling this season a disaster would be an understatement, easily the reason we are where we are now

and to make things even rosier, who could forget that glorious summer spending spree of 2005 eh?

Bobby's position was undermined disgracefully by fat fred and for that runt Dyer to do what he did when he did it would have only hurried that pig to sack the great man there and then which was a disgusting decision considering who he had lined up =/

Right decision to sack him, wrong timing sacking him, wrong replacement brought in.

Spot on.

Liverpool were pretty much on a par with us in 2004, they sacked Houllier at the end of the season and appoint Benitez. By the following May they were Champions League winners.

We stuck with Robson in the summer, sacked him in August, appointed Souness and finished in the bottom half! It really grates me to this day.

Guest James_coDurham
imagine where we would be today if we had appointed someone like Hitzfeld who was available in the summer 04 =/

Same place that we are now. People expecting instant success would have caused him to be sacked at the first sniff of trouble.

imagine where we would be today if we had appointed someone like Hitzfeld who was available in the summer 04 =/

Same place that we are now. People expecting instant success would have caused him to be sacked at the first sniff of trouble.

Just remind me because I'm getting a bit confused, when was the last time we unreasonably sacked a manager at the first sniff of trouble due to the expectance of instant success ?

Just remind me because I'm getting a bit confused, when was the last time we unreasonably sacked a manager at the first sniff of trouble due to the expectance of instant success ?

Says the man who started an Allardyce Out thread after fifteen games of his reign. Thankfully the board aren't so rash. I'd say the board sacked Robson for not instantly being successful that season btw. If he was good enough to stay at the end of the previous season then they should have persisted with him through that patch of poor form.

Says the man who started an Allardyce Out thread after fifteen games of his reign. Thankfully the board aren't so rash. I'd say the board sacked Robson for not instantly being successful that season btw. If he was good enough to stay at the end of the previous season then they should have persisted with him through that patch of poor form.

The point I'm making is that we HAVEN'T got a track record of sacking managers "too soon", and suggestion that no top manager would come to us because of our "reputation" is mad, because in my view we have no reputation, Robson had near on 5 years in charge, and finished in the bottom half of the table in his first 2 seasons, so I can't see how he was sacked too soon for not being instantly successful.

The point I'm making is that we HAVEN'T got a track record of sacking managers "too soon", and suggestion that no top manager would come to us because of our "reputation" is mad, because in my view we have no reputation, Robson had near on 5 years in charge, and finished in the bottom half of the table in his first 2 seasons, so I can't see how he was sacked too soon for not being instantly successful.

I see what you're saying but Robson and Gullit, although at the club for five years and one year respectively, were sacked for not being instantly succesful in a particular season, which still demonstrates impatience. The case of Robson could be more worrying for potential managers, as it showed the board's disregard for 3 good seasons in the face of an early season wobble.

I see what you're saying but Robson and Gullit, although at the club for five years and one year respectively, were sacked for not being instantly succesful in a particular season, which still demonstrates impatience. The case of Robson could be more worrying for potential managers, as it showed the board's disregard for 3 good seasons in the face of an early season wobble.

Gullit wasn't sacked Luke, he was going to be sacked, but did the honourable thing and resigned, something which I always respected him for.

Gullit wasn't sacked Luke, he was going to be sacked, but did the honourable thing and resigned, something which I always respected him for.

You're quite right. As you say, was going to be sacked so doesn't change my point.