Should Sam be allowed to spend big?

Big TRon

Those who reckon that he needs time to turn things round what do you say? It's all very well saying that he needs a 5 year plan or 2 seasons to turn things round, but for me it's pointless aiming for Europe, then tying a manager's hands through lack of funds. Personally, I don't believe he should get any serious money because I'm not convinced he's going to sign the type of players we need if Barton and Smith are anything to go by.

But then what's the point in giving a manager 3 years without backing him with the cash needed?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im split on this tbh, if we give him funds and he doesn't deliver then everyone will want his back as soon as possible, even worse than what the case is now. If he does get the funds he might make panic buys and put us in the shit. He could find some real gems and finish in the top half and push on for next season.

However, after looking at our remaining games i don' t think we will do too well and 10th-13th looks more and more guaranteed. So would buying players who will be thrown into games in the middle of a season against top teams (looking at up and coming fixtures) be any good for their newcastle careers. With the acquisition of one or two top players, we could push on to top 7 but we shouldn't expect immediate top form from them. This has puzzled me for the last month at least lol.

Define "spend big"? He's only spent £9m so far.

I said at the start of the season that this year was going to be a write off, and after the shite Souness/Roeder left us in on and off the pitch(only one scout), that this would be a season of consolidation, and no more. Fatty has always said his methods would take time to get through to the players(the sports science stuff), so I hoped for a top half finish this season at best.

As somebody noted in another thread, the only way Sam should lose his job is if we are in a relegation fight for a chunk of the season. I'd give him what he wants this January(there's not much available in Jan, typically anyway) and next summer to spend and see how it goes from there.

I'd define 'spending big' as competing on a level playing field with your rivals, which I would assume are Aston Villa, Everton, Tottenham and the like if Europe is the aim. Sam says he has given a list of players to Mort so should Mort attempt to sign them?

I'd define 'spending big' as competing on a level playing field with your rivals, which I would assume are Aston Villa, Everton, Tottenham and the like if Europe is the aim. Sam says he has given a list of players to Mort so should Mort attempt to sign them?

Well Ashley should throw some cash out there and if Sam still doesn't deliver then he's got no excuses

Well Ashley should throw some cash out there and if Sam still doesn't deliver then he's got no excuses

No he'll blame the ref, the players and sooner or later, you and me. Probs hold off on the Zep' till after he's sacked. :dunno:

No he'll blame the ref, the players and sooner or later, you and me. Probs hold off on the Zep' till after he's sacked. :dunno:

;)

Yes but then the cash is gone. If Ashley really believes in Big Sam I think he would make the money available, but I'm not sure he does.

Yes but then the cash is gone. If Ashley really believes in Big Sam I think he would make the money available, but I'm not sure he does.

There will still be cash there man.

Billionaires never run out. :dunno:

Spurs spent £120m what did Villa spend?

I would back him, we need to.

Spurs spent £120m then sacked Jol which is a bit pointless. I've feeling we are going to fiddle by till the summer and see if there's any sign of progress. If not, Allardyce will probably get sacked and money will be made available to a manager of Ashley's liking.

Spurs spent £120m then sacked Jol which is a bit pointless. I've feeling we are going to fiddle by till the summer and see if there's any sign of progress. If not, Allardyce will probably get sacked and money will be made available to a manager of Ashley's liking.

Cause the players turned shit overnight? :dunno:

I wouldn't trust him with money to spend in Clough's sweet shop tbh. I've decided to switch myself off from the whole sack sam thing for a while because it just ends up boiling my piss.

Give him until the end of the season and if there's still no signs of improvement then have him shot and put in the boot of a car destined for the Tyne. This will ensure we've got more money to spend on players close season and the rest of his staff will probably resign in fear.

Cause the players turned shit overnight? ;)

No, because the next manager might not think Barton and Smith were worth £12m for example? Souness probably thought Boumsong was a quality player :dunno:

'Big' has nothing to do with it. The question will be, in the club's current state, will Mort and Sam present a united front to persuade players that here is where they should be, as I guarantee, the only players that see NUFC as first choice are going to be ones who like Sam, and I don't think that's going to be Deco or the like.

And if a player is available, and wants to come, and is then vetoed for money reasons, you can guarantee BSA will let it be known to the press. He can't help himself.

This thread is moo, it is a moo point.

'Big' has nothing to do with it. The question will be, in the club's current state, will Mort and Sam present a united front to persuade players that here is where they should be, as I guarantee, the only players that see NUFC as first choice are going to be ones who like Sam, and I don't think that's going to be Deco or the like.

And if a player is available, and wants to come, and is then vetoed for money reasons, you can guarantee BSA will let it be known to the press. He can't help himself.

This thread is moo, it is a moo point.

:dunno:

If any player we approach has seen anything of us this season we might as well give up hope of us signing him - fact. Also you can't tell me that stories do the rounds on the players grapevine about what goes on in each club and I can't imagine anything coming from our players at the moment is encouraging.

1. He's playing us out of position

2. Every cunt is sick of it and him

3. He's more interested in stopping the opposition

4. His team talks are like sleeping tablets

5. We talk more about the opposition's game plan than ours

6. There's that many back room staff we have to wear name tags to avoid embarrassment when bumping into each other in the corridors

The list of moans must go on and on

If any player we approach has seen anything of us this season we might as well give up hope of us signing him - fact. Also you can't tell me that stories do the rounds on the players grapevine about what goes on in each club and I can't imagine anything coming from our players at the moment is encouraging.

6. There's that many back room staff we have to wear name tags to avoid embarrassment when bumping into each other in the corridors

at least 32..

Definitely not.

1) He's only named one unchganged team since August. The last thing we need is more players to tinker with the mix.

2) We're in a position to be arse raped by clubs charging stupid money...like we were for Owen.

3) He's under a lot of pressure and I get the impression he's arrogant enough to think he'll spend his way up the league (like Souness) rather than hedging his bets to ensure he doesn't make a mistake (like Roeder) with our money.

4) He had good reason to leave Bolton, he took them to a position where they could have backed him to take it to the next level and they didn't match his ambition with cash. Allardyce is in no position to make such demands on us until he takes us to a position that warrants faith in him spending big.

5) Good players generally aren't available during the window.

If he wants more strength for the African Nations they should be loan deals (he should have a bit more forthought in the first place). If he wants to trade with his current players I wouldn't be averse to a few million here and there on a good bargain, but not stupid money.

Edited by Happy Face

at least 32..

:dunno:

I remember when the complaint was that our scouting team was one man and his dog. People were creaming themselves over Allardyce's behind the scenes work.

Maybe Michael Henderson is on to something in his own racist small minded way.