How important is pace?

Big TRon

in light of the Dean Ashton rumours which are admitterdly probably made up, I wouldn't want him because he'd add to a team which is increasingly made up of plodders, although as a centre forward in his own right I quite like him.

We have in recent years lost Dyer, Bellamy and Robert who were quick, and formed a big part of SBR's success at it's peak. I know it's not the be-all and end-all but if you don't posess it in some key positions I think you lose so many options. For example, Allardyce's results would probably be transformed if he could get Anelka in, or a player of that type.

in light of the Dean Ashton rumours which are admitterdly probably made up, I wouldn't want him because he'd add to a team which is increasingly made up of plodders, although as a centre forward in his own right I quite like him.

We have in recent years lost Dyer, Bellamy and Robert who were quick, and formed a big part of SBR's success at it's peak. I know it's not the be-all and end-all but if you don't posess it in some key positions I think you lose so many options. For example, Allardyce's results would probably be transformed if he could get Anelka in, or a player of that type.

I would prefer that to happen by him fucking off.

being an old fashioned playmaker, you don't need it in my position. pretty much every where else you do though. especially full back, wide and through the middle up front.

without decent technique (martins for example), outright pace is often wasted.

it's essential you have pace in areas of your team. I'd be more than happy if we bought Ashton though for what he is, the fact he isn't the quickest doesn't bother me though as i think we need to reshape our entire forward pattern/players/balance anyway.

it's essential you have pace in areas of your team. I'd be more than happy if we bought Ashton though for what he is, the fact he isn't the quickest doesn't bother me though as i think we need to reshape our entire forward pattern/players/balance anyway.

Do we need Ashton in light of the fact we already have Viduka? I think there'd only be room for one of those two alongside a quicker player ideally.

I see them as different players. Ashton has some pace while Viduka has none.

He's definitely more mobile. Not fast or anything but he'll cover a lot more ground. The trouble is, were he to sign, we'd have zero pace upfront and I could see Smith being deployed in midfield again. If Martins goes, he has to be replaced with a like-for-like type of player (not exactly the same obviously, I'd like someone who can at least trap a bag of cement). If we can't get a similar type of forward I'd hang fire until the summer.

I would prefer that to happen by him fucking off.

who will you blame for all our glorious trophy winning past ie the old 2nd division title, coming to an end, when Sam has gone along with the fat bastard ?

Do we need Ashton in light of the fact we already have Viduka? I think there'd only be room for one of those two alongside a quicker player ideally.

No. I suppose if we bought Ashton, we would play him alongside Martins or Owen in the short term.

When I say re-structure our attack, I'm talking about shipping out 3 or 4 players and bringing in quality replacements with different attributes, 2 of who at least should have good pace, one a wide player and one a front player.

I think that Viduka is just a short term stop gap, like Cacapa at the back. I've no problem with doing this provided they are recognised as such by the management at the club. Same as Sibierski and Rossi last year, in fact we would be better off now if we had brought in a couple of players like those of half decent quality, with the same intent on deadline day last august. I would get rid of Viduka, Martins, Owen, Ameobi and Milner in the long run, all for different reasons. The only player I would have a slight reservation about selling is Martins, but I don't think he will be top player but is definitely worth a good fee and playing in a more positive team would score his share of goals.

At the moment, we have very little mobility, pace or genuine desire in our forward positions and the whole thing needs an overhaul.

Look at the thread about Martins and how his pace is useless because he's thick, just look at the players we've let go in the last few years:

Robert

Bellamy

Dyer

Martins (possibly)

All fo them have come in for tremendous stick for one reason or another, but when their gone, the football inevitably becomes turgid and pedestrian. SBR used to shield Robert from criticism by arguing you had to look at what he brought to the team, not just look at the negatives. I think we are gradually losing are dynamism and replacing it with solid, dependable drudgery.