Villa favourites to sign Martins

Tribal

With Man City also interested.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/pr...icle3310047.ece

If this is true I'll be furious.

Sell our top goalscorer, leaving us with no pace apart from N'Zogbia in the side. Leaving us stuck with Viduka - who doesn't seem to have the motivation to jump and Michael Owen, who has a knack of picking up long term injuries after a few games.

Martins will be the onions in a team like City or Villa.

Edited by Tribal

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we get our money back and have a suitable replacement lined up then sell sell sell.

Kevin Davies??

The whole logic of selling our top goalscorer is baffling, his use of Martins has been baffling.

I doubt we'll recoup what we paid for him.

If we get our money back and have a suitable replacement lined up then sell sell sell.

Kevin Davies??

The whole logic of selling our top goalscorer is baffling, his use of Martins has been baffling.

Seeing as he's quite clearly proving himself NOT to be a £10m player, I agree with you....

Kevin Davies??

Seeing as he's quite clearly proving himself NOT to be a £10m player, I agree with you....

Understandable, being played right wing or up front on his own is not his game - never mind chasing aimless long balls down.

Kevin Davies??

Understandable, being played right wing or up front on his own is not his game - never mind chasing aimless long balls down.

He could make a barrel load more chances for himself if he used his pace more effectively and didn't have the first, second and third touch of a rapist.

Kevin Davies??

That's strange.... there's been plenty of matches this season where I've seen him play through the middle and fluff chance after chance. He's got a fierce shot on him and a decent amount of pace but his composure lets him down. The efforts against West Ham and Arsenal when he went round the keeper and still missed the target are a testament to this.

I don't think he's worth anywhere near £10m.

Just like he did last season, when he was in a team that played to his strengths.

He was average last season too in the league. Fact.

That's strange.... there's been plenty of matches this season where I've seen him play through the middle and fluff chance after chance. He's got a fierce shot on him and a decent amount of pace but his composure lets him down. The efforts against West Ham and Arsenal when he went round the keeper and still missed the target are a testament to this.

He didn't miss the target against Arsenal , it was cleared off the line.

West Ham was a bad one I agree.

As for Man City on Wednesday, if he had confidence he would have buried them chances. Last season he was the main reason we stayed up, this season he doesn't look half the player he was under Roeder.

Thanks, Sam.

Just like he did last season, when he was in a team that played to his strengths.

What? By being collectively shit so he looked good?

Bare in mind he didn't have a fantastic season last year either. His goal tally was impressive but there was patches where he'd go completely missing from games for weeks in a row.

Good riddance. What use is all your talent if you have a pea sized brain?

Martins' poor performances have less to do with being played out of position but rather with the fact that he is not able to get any of his decisions right.

He didn't miss the target against Arsenal , it was cleared off the line.

West Ham was a bad one I agree.

As for Man City on Wednesday, if he had confidence he would have buried them chances. Last season he was the main reason we stayed up, this season he doesn't look half the player he was under Roeder.

Thanks, Sam.

:dunno: That doesn't make it better. It was such a timid shot. He placed it when he should've wellied it and vice-versa.

I'd sell him so long as the money is used to sign a pacy forward who is a better footballer. It's imperative the player signed has pace though.

who would this 'suitable replacement' be then? Btw, I'm not going to argue that Martins is better than he is, but he's one of the few quick players we've got left. Strikers of that type without his flaws are usually way out of our price range and very, very hard to get.

I thought for his first season in the prem, under GR, in an average side, he done ok last year. This was the year for him to excel and improve. Instead, he has gone backwards imo. I think this is partly down to him and partly down to how he is being played. I'd sell him, hope to get £6M and try to buy Ashton (we wont get Anelka).

I've always maintained he did ok last season btw. It's when people say he was better than ok that I take issue with the comments. Iirc (research for my N-O article :dunno: ) he was joint 12th top scorer in the Premier League last season. Not too bad taking all things into account but hardly anything special either.

who would this 'suitable replacement' be then? Btw, I'm not going to argue that Martins is better than he is, but he's one of the few quick players we've got left. Strikers of that type without his flaws are usually way out of our price range and very, very hard to get.

When is Martins actually ever making use of his pace? He's hardly ever trying to run past defender - regardless of with or without ball. I'd rather have a player half as fast with actually some kind of decent movement.

Who will be our new scapegoat if Martins is sold ?

Martins isn't our scapegoat now. As Isegrim alludes too though, he has plenty fanboys, like you :dunno: