No rushed return for Barton

bawan

Joey Barton will not play for Newcastle until 16th January at the earliest, according to the therapist treating the midfielder.

The player is currently residing at the Sporting Chance Clinic in Hampshire, after being released from prison, where he had been remanded after being charged with assault after a night out in Liverpool.

Peter Kay, the therapist treating Barton, has said his patient will not be available to Sam Allardyce until his next court appearance in Liverpool on 16th January.

"Until the 16th of January, Joey will be with me 24 hours a day," Kay told The Guardian.

"As for him playing, it will not be happening in the near future. There are bail guidelines we are adhering to and we're concentrating on the work we need to do, which is going well."

Newcastle have been keen to keep Barton fit within the confines of his bail conditions but Kay insists the player's mental rather than physical health is his immediate concern.

He added: "We do not play keepy-uppy in the garden; we do work of a different nature.

"We are getting on with the work we need to do, which is separate from football, and I could not hope for anything better than what is happening."

Regardless of what you think of him it's good to see the club looking after him instead of washing their hands of him. I realise the motives may not be purely philanthropic.

Regardless of what you think of him it's good to see the club looking after him instead of washing their hands of him. I realise the motives may not be purely philanthropic.

Agreed.. I think in the Shepherd days he'd probably have been left to rot.

leave him to rot i say. he's bad news

Arguably what he deserves but I fail to see what good that does the club, which is my primary concern.

Arguably what he deserves but I fail to see what good that does the club, which is my primary concern.

i can only see him getting into more trouble in the future if we hang on to him. he looks a serial offender to me and he's not even looked a good player. if it was maradona you could make an exception but i think we're better off getting rid. even if he does do the whole reform thing at tony adams' place and we keep him on, i still fully expect him to attack a teammate with a cigar or something at some stage

We know he's bad news... but he's OUR bad news. We abandon him it hardly gives the impression of a decent club who looks after their employees and therefore we look an even less attractive prospect to potential signings.

These days, employers have a duty (possibly only moral) to assist troubled members of staff in any way they can. You wouldn't think much of a company who sack someone or let them 'rot' because they're an alcoholic, would you?

i can only see him getting into more trouble in the future if we hang on to him. he looks a serial offender to me and he's not even looked a good player. if it was maradona you could make an exception but i think we're better off getting rid. even if he does do the whole reform thing at tony adams' place and we keep him on, i still fully expect him to attack a teammate with a cigar or something at some stage

In that case surely you must think we need to make him an attractive prospect so that someone comes in and splashes the cash on him? I fail to see what good 'letting him rot' would do NUFC.

Getting rid is different to letting him rot though, make your mind up.

get rid or let him rot in the reserves. i'm not fussy.

The latter is madness, totally to the detriment of the club. Throwing money away.

The latter is madness, totally to the detriment of the club. Throwing money away.

Agree totally... I really can't understand that mentality. How would we benefit as a club?

Agree totally... I really can't understand that mentality. How would we benefit as a club?

By setting a good example to every kid and club out there? Im not sure how we benefit having a criminal on the books whilst we continue to pay him £40k pw. Its not even as if hes got the skill of say bellamy or mutu.

I cant see what benefit there is in keeping him!? No-one above the championship is going to pay more than £1mil for him.

This is ridiculous, one minute it is OK to delay a trial until the end of the season to allow him to play football, then all of a sudden not playing football is part of the bail guidelines. Once again NUFC is at the forefront of farce.

By setting a good example to every kid and club out there? Im not sure how we benefit having a criminal on the books whilst we continue to pay him £40k pw. Its not even as if hes got the skill of say bellamy or mutu.

I cant see what benefit there is in keeping him!? No-one above the championship is going to pay more than £1mil for him.

That's what Craig and Alex are saying though...'letting him rot' means paying him £40k a week to do fuck all.

That's what Craig and Alex are saying though...'letting him rot' means paying him £40k a week to do fuck all.

Thought that was obvious lyke :D

Thought that was obvious lyke :D

It was, but J69 has got his wires crossed I think.

Thank god it's obvious to some - cheers Luke.

Basically what you're saying is that because he's a criminal, we'll throw money away... Jesus! Tell you what, we'll have no money but at least our morals will be intact... :D

Thank god it's obvious to some - cheers Luke.

Basically what you're saying is that because he's a criminal, we'll throw money away... Jesus! Tell you what, we'll have no money but at least our morals will be intact... :D

Upholding the good moral standing that we already have.