Alan Shearer

Tribal

I'm amazed that the man who was considered 'Tyneside's favourite son' less than 2 years ago at his testimonial is being hammered for the way he conducted himself during his time here.

At the time we signed him, he was considered one of the best (if not THE best) striker in Europe. So he managed to negotiate himself a clause in his contract to state that he was the highest paid player - good on him, it was well deserved!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Keegan is the one man who can not be overshadowed by Al. I'm a bit sick of him tbh....he's done a lot less for the club than Keegan did in that Keegan left when he thought he'd taken us as far as he could. Shearer stayed on and made it difficult for anyone to do something for the good of the team that didn't involve him.

:icon_lol:

Insisting on being the highest paid player?

Not allowing Gullit to get on with the job?

Reacting badly to Robson dropping him?

He was a great player but I didn't like EVERYTHING he did.

Insisting on being the highest paid player? - That would just be par for the course really and no one was on "bad" wages really.

Not allowing Gullit to get on with the job? - If anything Gullit seemed to WANT to commit suicide by Shearer by the end, but it was the pressure that got to him not Shearer.

Reacting badly to Robson dropping him? - Yup that's a real and genuine criticism of him, and I suspect added to the whole Robson undermining and out thing in the end.

I think Keegan is the one man who can not be overshadowed by Al. I'm a bit sick of him tbh....he's done a lot less for the club than Keegan did in that Keegan left when he thought he'd taken us as far as he could. Shearer stayed on and made it difficult for anyone to do something for the good of the team that didn't involve him.

Insisting on being the highest paid player? - That would just be par for the course really and no one was on "bad" wages really.

Not allowing Gullit to get on with the job? - If anything Gullit seemed to WANT to commit suicide by Shearer by the end, but it was the pressure that got to him not Shearer.

Reacting badly to Robson dropping him? - Yup that's a real and genuine criticism of him, and I suspect added to the whole Robson undermining and out thing in the end.

Following on from the Robson thing, AF is making it sound like Shearer was the 'black sheep' in the club at that time. Compared to what some of the players were reportedly like towards SBR, reacting badly to being dropped was positively angelic.

Anyway, isn't it something to be welcomed? Showed that he was passionate about playing for the club.

Looks positively drugged up in the last pic - how bloodshot are his eyes? :icon_lol:

Give him a chance to come down man. Remember where he's been living!

B)

Following on from the Robson thing, AF is making it sound like Shearer was the 'black sheep' in the club at that time. Compared to what some of the players were reportedly like towards SBR, reacting badly to being dropped was positively angelic.

Anyway, isn't it something to be welcomed? Showed that he was passionate about playing for the club.

Look, all I'm saying is that there were times when Shearer was a mixed blessing. When Beckham got too big for ManU, Fergie got rid. I know Shearer is a legend and all that but his influence has not always been positive or altruistic.

He will have taken at least £30m from NUFC and we as fans are entitled to have an opinion other than the man is God.

I never understood the various claims made in support of him being made manager about motivational skills, man management and tactical/attacking football knowledge/instinct, when he was club captain for long periods of inept and demoralised football, and gave public support to Souness and Roeder, contrasted to his lack of with Gullit. And I though the Bellamy and Gillespie fights were unseemly for a club captain. Keano would have kept that shit in-house.

Really think he should get a managerial job somewhere else. In the next couple of weeks it's more than likely either the Motherwell or Southampton jobs will become available, he should go for either one.

I suppose he's got a link to Southampton. Can't see it though. His family won't wan't to go down there just as much as Redknapp's didn't want to move up here. (Although having said that, isn't Lainya a Southampton girl?)

Really think he should get a managerial job somewhere else. In the next couple of weeks it's more than likely either the Motherwell or Southampton jobs will become available, he should go for either one.

I suppose he's got a link to Southampton. Can't see it though. His family won't wan't to go down there just as much as Redknapp's didn't want to move up here. (Although having said that, isn't Lainya a Southampton girl?)

Interesting point. Is Shearer the type to expect his family to uproot and follow him around on the manager merry-go-round? Woould he want to? He must do a lot of flying for MOTD, wasn't there uproar recently about the bills for his taxi fares?

He turned down Man Utd to try and win things with the club he loved, and they're still bitter about it to this day. He stayed with us for ten years, and won fuck all, and still wants to be associated/involved with the club. The man is a legend.

While it's all down to opinion and interpretation at the end of the day, I'm actually starting to feel that it shows a level of disrespect from him if he's not prepared to go and cut his teeth elsewhere first. Particularly now given that KK is here for 3.5 years (theoretically). He's said he wants the job-well it isnt' currently on offer any longer and shouldnt be the subject of speculation again for a fixed term, so go and do something which demonstrates your credentials rather than just expecting us to be handing it on a silver platter one day when theres potentially other promising managers with practical experience worthy of consideration.

He turned down Man Utd to try and win things with the club he loved, and they're still bitter about it to this day. He stayed with us for ten years, and won fuck all, and still wants to be associated/involved with the club. The man is a legend.

Agreed but still stand by my points above.

While it's all down to opinion and interpretation at the end of the day, I'm actually starting to feel that it shows a level of disrespect from him if he's not prepared to go and cut his teeth elsewhere first. Particularly now given that KK is here for 3.5 years (theoretically). He's said he wants the job-well it isnt' currently on offer any longer and shouldnt be the subject of speculation again for a fixed term, so go and do something which demonstrates your credentials rather than just expecting us to be handing it on a silver platter one day when theres potentially other promising managers with practical experience worthy of consideration.

He's practically said he would come as number 2 as well. Bit daft given all the previous comments about not wanting to move into coaching yet, concentrating on media etc.

I hadn't heard that Rico, mate. I'd only heard that generally speaking he 'didn't see himself as a number 2'. Must have re-considered his position since last night on MOTD, though that is understandable given that nothing could have prepared anyone for the events of this week. It's still very surreal and feels like all previous bets are now off.

I hadn't heard that Rico, mate. I'd only heard that generally speaking he 'didn't see himself as a number 2'. Must have re-considered his position since last night on MOTD, though that is understandable given that nothing could have prepared anyone for the events of this week. It's still very surreal and feels like all previous bets are now off.

I was going off of MOTD really, it seemed like diplomatic speak for, yeah ask me and I'd come.

Totally agree. I said a little while back that I thought Southampton was a good shout.

I was going off of MOTD really, it seemed like diplomatic speak for, yeah ask me and I'd come.

What else could he say though when asked? "Nah, I want the no.1 spot or they can fuck off". Hardly going to say that, is he?

What else could he say though when asked? "Nah, I want the no.1 spot or they can fuck off". Hardly going to say that, is he?

I still think if he'd really wanted that FFS would have given it too him.

Which isn't to say he doesn't/didn't want it eventually, just that I don't really think he's been on a campaign to get it (when he could have had it as recently as 8 months ago).

If keegan wants Sheaer as no 2 then why not?

I think all that Shearer is guilty of is being excited about the return of Keegan as we all are!

Will Keegan work out second time around who knows but one thing for sure is that 95% of people including Shearer can't wait to find out.

Sounds more like a loser. :icon_lol: