Am i the only one ?

duckerDavies

The lift it will give the players, fans and club as a whole just by him being here is enough that it won't be a mistake considering the atmosphere of depression that has hung around for so long now dragging everything down with it.

How well he does down the line and how close he could get to matchign what he did last time, who knows, he's certainly going to need backing from Ashley to have any chance of chasing the top 4 as they're streets ahead of the rest at the moment.

So he dropped a 12 point lead.

Did shit for England.

Took Fulham up from a lower league.

Took Man City up from a lower league then nearly took them down again.

And didn't he resign for a short while due to lack of funds? Meaning he can't do shit without the dosh.

And he'll take us forward.

Fuck sake i can see why the club never wins shit.

We still won't win anything, but at least we'll play some entertaining football whilst losing

i think he'll just knacker the image he had with Newcastle by being a major flop

Edited by duckerDavies

I can think of two much, much, much bigger mistakes...

00073296-53FE-13E3-AF290C01AC1BF814.jpg

graeme_souness_300x300.jpg

Will Keegan be as good as he was last time? No. Is he at least a short term tonic for this club? Yes. Does he have what it takes to get us into the top 8? Who knows.

Will Keegan be as good as he was last time? No. Is he at least a short term tonic for this club? Yes. Does he have what it takes to get us into the top 8? Who knows.

If Kevins just short term we shouldn't of sacked Sam he could of done it until the end of the season.We have just wasted 6 million getting rid of Sam and co and now on Kev who'll do no matter?

Don't put words in my mouth.

If Kevins just short term we shouldn't of sacked Sam he could of done it until the end of the season.We have just wasted 6 million getting rid of Sam and co and now on Kev who'll do no matter?

ashley's a billionaire man. who gives a fuck that he's spunked a bit more money away? he'll get over it.

and it doesn't sound like it'll mean keegan won't have any funds. in fact i'm sure he only took the job because there was a guarantee from ashley of significant backing in the transfer market.

how are you not getting carried away on this wave of mindless optimism? i'm the miserable one round here and even i'm getting caught up in it.

Did shit for England.

And didn't he resign for a short while due to lack of funds? Meaning he can't do shit without the dosh.

We still won't win anything, but at least we'll play some entertaining football whilst losing

i think he'll just knacker the image he had with Newcastle by being a major flop

Who else would you have got? (given how many had turned us down or were disappearing over the horizon when we approached them?)

Given funds he should at least do ok, he'd have won something in 97 or 98 IMO if he could have handled the pressure better and if the board issues that later became apparent weren't already beginning to undermine him. (Fulam, Man City [both where he did ok with the time and funds he had IMO] and England [which was a pressure issue IMO] were different kettles of fish).

Either way he's here now and acting like sulky child about it isn't going to help anyone.

I do think it is apparent he overachieved here, which meant expectations and pressure was on him to work the same magic at every club he went. At Fulham it worked. At Citeh it worked to an extent but he stayed too long which did tarnish his reputation. I don't think he was ever happy managing England because of some of the stipulations the FA put on who he could and couldn't bring in as his backroom staff.

He really is an unknown quantity. If the rumours that he's got as much as he wants/needs to spend are true then it's not entirely inconceivable he could get us into the top six or seven. Either way, I think he's got enough in his locker to avoid dragging us down into a relegation battle. I mean for fucks sake, at least he'll play people in their right positions! :icon_lol:

Did shit for England.

Who else would you have got? (given how many had turned us down or were disappearing over the horizon when we approached them?)

Given funds he should at least do ok, he'd have won something in 97 or 98 IMO if he could have handled the pressure better and if the board issues that later became apparent weren't already beginning to undermine him. (Fulam, Man City [both where he did ok with the time and funds he had IMO] and England [which was a pressure issue IMO] were different kettles of fish).

Either way he's here now and acting like sulky child about it isn't going to help anyone.

Even Mr Logic is optimistic, look out Man Utd! :icon_lol:

I do think it is apparent he overachieved here, which meant expectations and pressure was on him to work the same magic at every club he went. At Fulham it worked. At Citeh it worked to an extent but he stayed too long which did tarnish his reputation. I don't think he was ever happy managing England because of some of the stipulations the FA put on who he could and couldn't bring in as his backroom staff.

He really is an unknown quantity. If the rumours that he's got as much as he wants/needs to spend are true then it's not entirely inconceivable he could get us into the top six or seven. Either way, I think he's got enough in his locker to avoid dragging us down into a relegation battle. I mean for fucks sake, at least he'll play people in their right positions! :icon_lol:

I think He could keep us out of relegation without spending a penny tbh, just by (assuming He still has the passion) breathing life and enthusiasm into the bunch of competent, mid-table players that we currently have.

What happens beyond that and beyond the end of the season is the bigger question. I wonder what He honestly, in His heart of hearts thinks He can achieve because that will ultimately communicate to the players, particularly given his method of management. When and at what level (in terms of league placing) that limitation becomes apparent it will be time for Ashley to move swiftly to look at the next phase. That might mean a quick and clean kill is needed where a new manager has been identified that can carry on the work. As long as that is all done above board, up front and cards-on-the-table from everyone's point of view I think Kev would accept that with good grace and we'd be indebted to Him once more. That's my best-case-realistic-scenario and I've got my fingers crossed. In the meantime, all the best to Him!

The only downside is if it doesn't produce a trophy this time, the come down post-Keegan could be even worse than last time. But it's exactly like Shearer too, good or bad it needs to be got out of the collective system of this club. He surely couldn't come back a fourth time could he? But then of course we have to deal with Shearer too. Could be disastrous if Keegan flounces out and Shearer tries to hard to rebuild the team a la Dogleash and puts us even further back. Shit, all this is pie in the sky anyway, let's make hay while the sun shines :icon_lol: .

Logic-wise a lot of folk have reservations, but there's no need to put the blerk down.

Three promotions with three different teams, all in a season or two.

Got England into Euro and was two minutes off the second round before that mong Neville dived in.

Got Newcastle higher up the league than anyone could have hoped, and made that big stadium we have possible. Established us as a team that can sign much bigger names than before.

That's not failure.

The big criticism you can make is that he jumps ship when he feels like it. You don't have to pay him off though.

After being high as a kite, now every time I remember he's back, I get this wierd feeling in the pit of my stomach. Not sure if it's fear, foreboding, worry, or what. It's getting on my nerves. It's like remembering a bad fight with a lass from long ago. Wierd.

After being high as a kite, now every time I remember he's back, I get this wierd feeling in the pit of my stomach. Not sure if it's fear, foreboding, worry, or what. It's getting on my nerves. It's like remembering a bad fight with a lass from long ago. Wierd.

Same here. Although i'm still hopeful.

I think it's just nerves. A comfortable win against Bolton will settle me.

Logic-wise a lot of folk have reservations, but there's no need to put the blerk down.

Three promotions with three different teams, all in a season or two.

Got England into Euro and was two minutes off the second round before that mong Neville dived in.

Got Newcastle higher up the league than anyone could have hoped, and made that big stadium we have possible. Established us as a team that can sign much bigger names than before.

That's not failure.

The big criticism you can make is that he jumps ship when he feels like it. You don't have to pay him off though.

Aye the biggest failure with Keegan is not any perceived tactical weakness (there's plenty of managers that don't exactly make incisive killer substitutions or worry about playing exactly the right way to put opposition off - I'd say Ferguson is arguably another one to a certain degree [look at his initial attempts at his CL winning formation] where as Allardyce was arguably more the other way inclined and look where it got him), or even that he can't build a team that can defend (possibly one of the biggest myths around), but rather if he can/will handled the pressure.

If he can this time and he has money, things should at least go ok.

Not that my opinion matters a toss to NUFC supporters B) but I've changed my opinion over the last couple of days.

When I first heard the news on Wednesday I thought it was a truly bizzare decision and quite frankly a bad one given:

a) His time out of the game

b ) The fact that he was never able to truly replicate his acheivements with NUFC elsewhere and was even in danger of takies the berties down

c) Most importantly, I think you need long term stability now and don't think you'll get that with KK. He has a habit of walking away at the first murmurings of discontent and even if he brings success he's unlikely to stay beyond 3 seasons which throw the club into turmoil once more

Let's be honest, leaving the Keegan 'emotion' out of it, there were far better candidates out there based on his managerial record. If it was anybody else with his managerial record, at his age, that hadn't won a single trophy as a manager you'd all be suicidal at the appointment :)

But.... after reading threads on here and seeing the excitement it's generated then I'm changing my mind somewhat. The club and supporters quite obviouly need a massive boost and this appointment has generated a massive 'feelgood' feeling again. For a short time at least the fans will all be optmistic and full of hope again which I don't think can be underestimated. Personally, I can't see the appointment being succesful if you are going to judge success as winning trophies during his leadership but as somebody said previously on here.... fuck it, let the rollercoater begin :icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

Good lad.

Personally I won't judge Keegan's tenure a failure if we win nowt. It'll be a success as long as I don't hate the manager, the backroom staff, the players, the board, the stewards and the ballboys with every fibre of my being and always have that lingering thought that I could be in the pub rather than putting up with playing 10 defensive players on a sub-zero night.