Given - We are not safe

bawan

Shay Given has admitted he fears Newcastle will be sucked into a Premier League relegation battle.

Tuesday's 3-0 defeat to Arsenal ensured Newcastle, who sit 12th in the league, remain without a win or a goal after three games under new manager Kevin Keegan.

Given confessed the Newcastle squad are concerned by their flagging form and the goalkeeper insists the Magpies must quickly reach the 40-point mark which is commonly associated with top flight security.

Newcastle currently have 27 points and still face a trip to Liverpool and a home fixture with Manchester United, while they must also take on local rivals - and fellow strugglers - Middlesbrough and Sunderland.

"We're not safe by any means," Given told the Newcastle Chronicle.

"There's still a lot of hard work to do before we can think we're safe. If you look at our run-in, there are a lot of tough games.

"Of course we're looking over our shoulders. We need to get some points on the board."

Given has also revealed his disappointment at Newcastle's 3-0 FA Cup elimination at the hands of Gunners on Saturday, but admits his side were well beaten.

"We were beaten by the better team on both occasions," Given added.

"It's extremely frustrating. The cup was our last chance of winning something, but we lost that game and we've lost again.

"They (Arsenal) are streets ahead of us at the minute, and you've got to hold your hands up."

To be fair we've played Bolton who played the 10-0-1 formation and then Arsenal twice in a row at the Emirates, which they are unbeaten in (I think).

We aren't safe at the minute but I doubt we will go down there are plenty of teams much worse than us and we've still got 4 players to come back.

To be fair we've played Bolton who played the 10-0-1 formation and then Arsenal twice in a row at the Emirates, which they are unbeaten in (I think).

We aren't safe at the minute but I doubt we will go down there are plenty of teams much worse than us and we've still got 4 players to come back.

Did West Ham not beat them, Zamora scoring.

Should read: Given - we are not safe when I'm in goal because my confidence is shot to bits, see my kicking for evidence

almost back heeled it into his own net last night. 'what the facks that all about'/Terry Tibbs.

(my eyes, my eyes!)

Should read: Given - we are not safe when I'm in goal because my confidence is shot to bits, see my kicking for evidence

almost back heeled it into his own net last night. 'what the facks that all about'/Terry Tibbs.

(my eyes, my eyes!)

I would give Harper a run out if i'm honest

A few seem to think that :icon_lol: but this is coming from someone that actually plays in the team, i bet the fans of Leeds and Forest also thought they wouldn't go down aswell.

A few seem to think that :icon_lol: but this is coming from someone that actually plays in the team, i bet the fans of Leeds and Forest also thought they wouldn't go down aswell.

People are saying it's unlikely rather than saying it's impossible. Given is only saying it's a possibility and we aren't safe. I don't think anyone thinks we are safe. Would bet a canny bit of money on us staying up though.

Did West Ham not beat them, Zamora scoring.

Ah right is that their only loss?

As for going down I just see those below us as being alot worse I know we haven't bought but look at the players the clubs below us have brought in.

Derby are gone for sure, Fulham only have 16 points and Wigan + Birmingham have 20 each I don't see them catching that 7 point gap. Obviously we shouldn't just assume that we are staying up and get complacent but I am confident that we can avoid being relegated as we do have alot of the teams below us to play at home.

unlikely that we'll go down but it's not going to be a pleasant end to the season. we need points on the board pronto. i can't even remember the last time we won back to back games. was it this season?

unlikely that we'll go down but it's not going to be a pleasant end to the season. we need points on the board pronto. i can't even remember the last time we won back to back games. was it this season?

About 6 weeks ago (Birmingham then Fulham) iirc. Only time this season I think.

Imagine the tension for the derby v. the Mackems if it's a relegation six-pointer too.

4th last game of the season then...

West Ham - away

Chelsea - Home

Everton - Away

fuck me we need some points on the board sharpish. boro is must win

If we go down the season ticket prices better be getting slashed like.

Do you think they'll have a realistic chance of the play offs next season?

:icon_lol:

Edited by @yourservice

Imagine the tension for the derby v. the Mackems if it's a relegation six-pointer too.

4th last game of the season then...

West Ham - away

Chelsea - Home

Everton - Away

fuck me we need some points on the board sharpish. boro is must win

I pointed this out in another thread where people were being a little nonchalant about getting a couple of players in. I can see the Boro game as a draw which will solve nothing. Hoping otherwise mind.

If we go down the season ticket prices better be getting slashed like.

Do you think they'll have a realistic chance of the play offs next season?

:icon_lol:

Dont know :nufc: