Prince Harry fighting in Afghanistan

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Prince Harry fighting in Afghanistan

Prince Harry has been fighting the Taleban on the front line in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.

Harry, 23, who is third in line to the throne, has spent the last 10 weeks serving in Helmand Province.

"I finally get the chance to do the soldiering that I want to do," the prince said ahead of his deployment.

It comes after the prince's planned tour to Iraq last year had to be cancelled because of a security risk.

The deployment was subject to a news blackout deal, but the arrangement broke down after it was leaked on the US website the Drudge Report.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7269743.stm

Good for him doing what he wants to do, at least he's not wasting the countries money by training to become a pilot despite the fact he will never use any of that, very expensive, training like his brother. Disappointed for him that some nobs broke the news about him at least he got 10 weeks.

Edited by Barton7

He shouldn't be treated differently from any other soldier, if thats what he signed up for then he should face the same risks, but having him on the frontline makes him a target and that might cause more danger for those around him, and if he were to be killed it would be a huge morale boost for the enemy.

Looking on the BBC video he's definately not just sitting in Bastion it's a good video actually, the media blackout was a good idea shame someone broke it that stopped the worry of Taliban increasing pressure in his area but I wonder what they would have done had he been killed. Hopefully he can put the case forward for better equipment (unless he hasn't noticed and has been getting all the good stuff), seems like a decent bloke on that video.

By the way putting him with the Gurkhas was an odd choice he must stick out a bit. <_<

Did anyone hear that twat jon snow before on c4 btw? likening the media blackout to soviet/chinese censorship what a cock :razz:

Edited by Barton7

I'm with you Mr Hips....good on him I say, doing what he was trained for iyam and rightly so

You know it makes sense <_<:razz:

Better stop now before the 'crowd' roll their eyes again at my slavvapatta :woosh::D

:) take no notice Mr Hips...the "children" ...they know nothing these days...

He can't win, can he? Criticised for not going and now, in some quarters, criticised for going. I hope all the lads and lasses over there get back safe and sound. Unfortunately, they won't.

He can't win, can he? Criticised for not going and now, in some quarters, criticised for going. I hope all the lads and lasses over there get back safe and sound. Unfortunately, they won't.

To be fair to him, I dont think it was his choice he didnt go last time. I think the fact he's ended up going out there is down to his perseverance. Also, I think the fact he's gone out there, with no fanfare and just quietly slipped in and gotten on with his job is commendable. He's not asked for special treatment and from the report I was listening to this morning, he's not really gotten any.

I'm sure the moral boost for the others with have been significant also. If he can come out and fight for his grandmother and his country alongside the common man it speaks volumes.

I take the point about it being a big victory for the enemy if they killed him but I'm sure we'd have a contingency plan for that. My biggest gripe is with the poxy yank rag that leaked the story. They can't understand why we'd let someone like him go out.

We're British FFS, we have a sense of honour and commitment. I hope MI6 launch a plan to cripple the newspaper through some International scandal. Or maybe I've been watching Spooks too much <_<

I wasn't suggesting it was his choice mate. I meant he was criticised because people said 'what's the point in him being in the army if he can't go and fight?' etc. Now he has gone some people are saying it's endangering his fellow soldiers and so on. He obviously wanted to go from day one.

Ah sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were saying people had been criticising him for not going before Christmas. I meant it wasn't his choice he didnt go as he clearly wanted to.

Anyway, I think you and I are on the same page <_<

Edited by maggiespaws

Looking on the BBC video he's definately not just sitting in Bastion it's a good video actually, the media blackout was a good idea shame someone broke it that stopped the worry of Taliban increasing pressure in his area but I wonder what they would have done had he been killed. Hopefully he can put the case forward for better equipment (unless he hasn't noticed and has been getting all the good stuff), seems like a decent bloke on that video.

By the way putting him with the Gurkhas was an odd choice he must stick out a bit. <_<

Did anyone hear that twat jon snow before on c4 btw? likening the media blackout to soviet/chinese censorship what a cock :razz:

I don't think he was in that dangerous a role (I think much of that footage was a) staged and :D probably the only time he did some of that stuff), as he's a JTAC I think.

Having said that I doubt anywhere in in Afghanistan is exactly safe never mind a forward base.

I must admit I was impressed the media managed to restrain itself for 10 weeks (and would have for longer but not for that one site publishing), just goes to show how much the modern media can invent and sustain a story, or in this case stop there being one at all (for 10 weeks).

I may have said this before but if I was a general and could find a way to make sure all of my enemies energies would be concentrated in one area where I would know where they are and plan for that I would be very happy.

but you're not fighting a conventional force, their energies could consist of three blokes in a jeep... not exactly putting a dent in their personnel levels...

well I'm sure that looking after the enemies feelings is high on the agenda...

Are we ignoring the thousands of innocents that get murdered every year? 'Accidental' shootings, bombings, rapings etc.

I just cant get my head round the 'atrocity' that is 9/11 that we will be mourning til the end of time, yet the US/UK kill more innocent people than that every year and its classed as collateral damage.

I couldnt give a flying fuck if Harry wants to feel like one of the boys over there. Hes not. He is a danger to whoever is in his troop and if he bites a bullet I dont think the BBC have enough channels to cover him and Diana at the same time.