Boilers

Jill

We moved into a new flat recently and have had a problem with the boiler ever since. We can only get it to stay on for 30-40 mins then the pilot goes out and the warning LED comes on. If I press the reset button (as advised in the manual when the red light comes on) it makes a bit of noise for about 5 seconds then the warning light comes back on and it can't be reset unless the boiler is switched off for a few hours and we try again later.

The landlord is aware of the problem and is apparently sending someone out tomorrow but as they sent someone yesterday and it still has the same problem I'm not confident. As I'm fairly clueless with this sort of thing I wondered if anyone had any ideas.

It's an Ariston Eurocombi boiler - the manuals (A23/A27) are here: http://www.centralheating.co.uk/index/fuse...ctoryGroup/5344

I've found a few places on the net which indicate people have had similar problems but no definite fixes..

Any help appreciated..

Sounds like it could be problem with the gas supply, possibly the main gas soleniod valve or pressure switch.

the gas supply? The solenoid? the pressure switch?

that's quite a range...

Jill, I had bother with the boiler at my place which culminated in me getting home from a weekend away to find that it had completely packed in. Anyway what I did was ring the British Gas Homecare or whatever the fuck it's called line - basically you pay a certain amount a month and they will come out and sort out the boiler if there's ever a problem with it. All parts and labour of them fixing any problems with your boiler are covered by this monthly payment (think it's £18) which was clearly going to work out cheaper than actually paying a plumber to fix it on a one-off, as it was completely fucked.

So within 24 hours they sent someone out to sort it and we've had no bother since. Still paying the monthly, but tbh it's worth it just to know that if something goes tits up again it can be sorted, and besides I bet the cost of fixing the initial problem is still now greater than what I've paid them in monthly ££s.

Don't know if any of this is an option to you though if you have a landlord? ;)

Quite gutted the way this thread has turned out I must admit.

Stop hoping for a hijacking. :aye:

Thanks for your replies. Just heard back off the landlord to say the contractor is waiting for "a part" and they will ring later. It's a fucking pain in the arse having to keep chasing them like. Only moved in 3 weeks ago and they've blatantly already pegged me as the annoying one. :icon_lol:;)

Jill, I had bother with the boiler at my place which culminated in me getting home from a weekend away to find that it had completely packed in. Anyway what I did was ring the British Gas Homecare or whatever the fuck it's called line - basically you pay a certain amount a month and they will come out and sort out the boiler if there's ever a problem with it. All parts and labour of them fixing any problems with your boiler are covered by this monthly payment (think it's £18) which was clearly going to work out cheaper than actually paying a plumber to fix it on a one-off, as it was completely fucked.

So within 24 hours they sent someone out to sort it and we've had no bother since. Still paying the monthly, but tbh it's worth it just to know that if something goes tits up again it can be sorted, and besides I bet the cost of fixing the initial problem is still now greater than what I've paid them in monthly ££s.

Don't know if any of this is an option to you though if you have a landlord? ;)

It should be the landlords responsibility to get it fixed and working tbh. You can only get British Gas Homecare if you own you own home, or at least that was the case when I worked for them.

• 4 weeks later...
Got a brand new one installed today. :victory::cuppa:

Well done ! did you find out what was wrong with the old one ?

Got a brand new one installed today. :icon_lol::cuppa:

Nope, they kept sending a different set of muppets out each time, one lot tried a new part of some sort, one lot flushed the system out them another lot knocked on the door this morning with a shiny new one. Got the heating on and I'm fucking roasting. :victory:

Got a brand new one installed today. :blush::victory:

Nope, they kept sending a different set of muppets out each time, one lot tried a new part of some sort, one lot flushed the system out them another lot knocked on the door this morning with a shiny new one. Got the heating on and I'm fucking roasting. :icon_lol:

Crazy woman. :cuppa:

Nope, they kept sending a different set of muppets out each time, one lot tried a new part of some sort, one lot flushed the system out them another lot knocked on the door this morning with a shiny new one. Got the heating on and I'm fucking roasting. :icon_lol:

nice one...glass of wine is called for to celebrate I reckon :cuppa:

Got a brand new one installed today. :tumbleweed::icon_lol:

Nope, they kept sending a different set of muppets out each time, one lot tried a new part of some sort, one lot flushed the system out them another lot knocked on the door this morning with a shiny new one. Got the heating on and I'm fucking roasting. :blush:

The Radgi portion, although not looking so rough these days. :victory:

neilbigglassur3.jpg

Got a brand new one installed today. :):blush:

Nope, they kept sending a different set of muppets out each time, one lot tried a new part of some sort, one lot flushed the system out them another lot knocked on the door this morning with a shiny new one. Got the heating on and I'm fucking roasting. :tumbleweed:

The Radgi portion, although not looking so rough these days. :victory:

neilbigglassur3.jpg

:rip: more white wine person myself :icon_lol: but the glass is about right...

Had a crate of 13 bottles delivered last Thursday and I've drank 3 already so I'm trying to resist the temptation..

Got a brand new one installed today. :tumbleweed::victory:

Had a crate of 13 bottles delivered last Thursday and I've drank 3 already so I'm trying to resist the temptation..

your slipping Jill :blush: only 3 !!

So as well as an anger management problem, Jill also now has a drinking problem. :blush:

your slipping Jill :blush: only 3 !!

They were expensive ones, I'm not made of money!

Work night out tomorrow, all paid for, so a few bottles of wine and some mojitos will be in order. I can wait till then.....

So as well as an anger management problem, Jill also now has a drinking problem. :victory:

It's heading that way like. :icon_lol:

Just change your name to Simone. :cuppa:

So as well as an anger management problem, Jill also now has a drinking problem. :victory:

It's heading that way like. :icon_lol:

we could form a support group :cuppa: