Snooka

luckyluke

Not quite what happened (unless it's a different anecdote like). Match between Maguire and Murphy (who've never liked each other) was about to start when Maguire realised he'd forgot his chalk. Asked the ref if he could go and get it. While he was away back to his dressing room, Murphy called the tournament director out and insisted Maguire was docked a frame for not being ready to start the match on time (it would have took him about a minute to retrieve his chalk for fuck's sake). Ref had no choice, as technically it was an infringement, but it was an absolute cunt's trick, something no other snooker player has ever or will ever do.

Fucking wanker. The good news is Maguire beat the fat snivelling arsehole 5-2 :D

Not quite what happened (unless it's a different anecdote like). Match between Maguire and Murphy (who've never liked each other) was about to start when Maguire realised he'd forgot his chalk. Asked the ref if he could go and get it. While he was away back to his dressing room, Murphy called the tournament director out and insisted Maguire was docked a frame for not being ready to start the match on time (it would have took him about a minute to retrieve his chalk for fuck's sake). Ref had no choice, as technically it was an infringement, but it was an absolute cunt's trick, something no other snooker player has ever or will ever do.

Fucking wanker. The good news is Maguire beat the fat snivelling arsehole 5-2 :D

Maguire should have asked Murphy "What would Jesus do?"

:D

I came across an interview of his with some fellow god-bothering type, and he really is a full-on Christ-botter like. Keeps referring to the moment 'I was saved' and shit :razz:

:razz: I was just thinking the other day that you never hear that word and its derivatives in that context now.

Fucking wanker. The good news is Maguire beat the fat snivelling arsehole 5-2 :)

That must have been the story, I doubt Maguire would have forgotten his chalk again. :nufc:

Heard his wife has left him and may serve him with divorce papers during a match at Sheffield. I hope Terry Griffiths is commentating, "oho, you've been 'snuckered' there laddo". :(

Hendry's just knocked a 147 in :unsure:

What a player. Ten years past his best and still competitive. I can't see it but I'd love him to win it again. He's got more bottle than the rest of them put together, a born winner.

Hendry's just knocked a 147 in :unsure:

What a player. Ten years past his best and still competitive. I can't see it but I'd love him to win it again. He's got more bottle than the rest of them put together, a born winner.

Turned over from the game at half time to see 90% of his break. A fantastic break by the old crater face.

Aye he's never been blessed in the complexion department. I don't know how he manages to shave without endangering his health :unsure:

I remember seeing him interviewed when he was about 17. Asked what his ambitions in the game were he shot back with: 'to beat (the almost unbeatable at the time) Steve Davis as many times as I can'. Which, over the course of the next few years, he proceeded to do. I've always felt he finished Davis as a major player through sheer force of will. The only player I've seen come close to matching his temperament under pressure is Alex Higgins, though obviously not as consistently.

Snooker changed in the '80s and then again in the '90s, with Davis and then Hendry not just dominant but actually changing the way players approached and played the game. One by-product of this was that the older generation of players stopped being competitive. You had the odd exception like Mountjoy's brief revival but overwhelmingly the game became a young man's game, and things like Fred Davis reaching the World semis in his fifties just didn't happen anymore. It's quite remarkable that between the two of them the same two players are actually reversing this trend (not entirely but to an extent). Ten years ago I'd have said it's impossible for a forty-year-old to win the World title; if Hendry continues in this form he has a serious chance.

It's clash of the titans in the final, literally. I don't think I've ever seen two fatter finalists than Higgins and Murphy. And thankfully ol' baby face has the edge over epic cunt Murphy.

Big O, I think Hendry's days of winning the World Championship have ended, he just doesn't seem to have the stamina for the long matches anymore. He did manage to get to the last four last year, but he was then obliterated by Ronnie in the most one-sided semi final of all time. Even though I don't particularly like him his record speaks for itself and he simply is the best player ever.

You're probably right that Hendry won't win another one. I still think his form this year is comfortably better than it was last, and it took some tremendous form from Murphy to see him off - fat cunt was cueing incredibly well that match. Up until the last third of the match Hendry's long-potting had been better than I've seen it for years, which is almost always the part of the game declining/ageing players lose first. What I was getting at I suppose is that the sheer class of Davis and Hendry has meant they've stayed competitive for far longer than could have been expected.

Anyway, it's not over but Higgins has a good lead so hopefully the weekend won't be spoiled by the sight of Murphy lifting the trophy.

Final session just started, Higgins wins the first frame to go one away from the title. Although I hope he wins I'd like to see Fatty Arbuckle to put up a bit of a fight. I love the world's final, one of my non-footballing sporting highlights of the year. I think I've watched every one since 1994, except 2006, Dott vs Ebdon, which apparently turned into the inveitable, tedious, claw your eyes out borefest it was always going to be.

• 1 year later...
Ronnie O'Sullivan fired a remarkable 147 break at the World Open in Glasgow after halting play when on eight points to check the prize for a maximum.

He was told there was no separate purse but cleared up to beat Mark King 3-0.

The 34-year-old appeared content to end on the pink in the final frame and had to be persuaded to pot the black.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...ker/9016342.stm

Link includes video

:)

Good lad.

"Jan talked me into it [potting the black]. My whole thing was I was going to make 140 and leave the black What's the point of making a 147 if they're only going to give you four grand for it?

"I'm surprised. They're getting stingier. I thought Barry Hearn was supposed to be putting more money into the game, not taking it out.

"I've had loads of 147s so I don't really get excited by it and thought I needed to give myself something to go for. I just thought 'why not?'"

I know he's got his problems but what a depressing cunt he is.

"Jan talked me into it [potting the black]. My whole thing was I was going to make 140 and leave the black What's the point of making a 147 if they're only going to give you four grand for it?

"I'm surprised. They're getting stingier. I thought Barry Hearn was supposed to be putting more money into the game, not taking it out.

"I've had loads of 147s so I don't really get excited by it and thought I needed to give myself something to go for. I just thought 'why not?'"

I know he's got his problems but what a depressing cunt he is.

He always has and always will be a complete and utter tool, but being talented at a sport is usally enough to excuse you in this country and still have all the fans up your backside.

He's acting just like the Ashley Cole's of this world, while people have no money and are worried about losing their livelyhoods he's unwilling to pot a black ball because £4000 is such a disgrace to offer him for sticking some balls in a pocket, he's a prick.

i used to always think steve davies was more of a smug twat than hendry. but then davies turned shit and became popular. hendry's been shit for a while now and never gained the cult status davies has in his latter years, which categorically proves he's more of a cunt.

• 5 years later...