The Wire

sh0ttie

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished the last episode. :)

I feel you man. Like a little part of what became 'my world' for a bit just disappeared. :D

When Omar departed us all man. <_<

watched the episode with the second video in it, last night. Very funny.

just getting into this now. Top bombing :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Seth Gilliam, star of gritty US drama The Wire, has criticised the Emmys for being obsessed with sex and violence.

The actor, who plays Sergeant Ellis Carver, spoke out after the critically acclaimed programme received only one nomination for September's award show.

Talking to on BBC 5 Live, Gilliam said: "The show deals with inner city civil servants and the Emmys would rather fantasise about lawyers and romance."

Each season of The Wire focuses on a different facet of urban life.

While critics have praised the show's complex drama - Entertainment Weekly called it "the smartest, deepest and most resonant drama on TV" - it has repeatedly failed to be nominated for any major award.

Its sole nod in this year's Primetime Emmy Awards comes in the category of Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series.

The show has received this nomination once before, in 2005, but has never been recognised in the main acting categories.

Gilliam put the lack of recognition down to the show not being sexy enough. "It's a show about a blue collar town," he said.

"It's not very flashy and glamorous."

"There aren't a lot of shootings in every episode and there isn't a lot of flesh and nipples," he added.

Gilliam, who had initially been looking forward to the Emmys said the cast and crew had now turned their backs on the awards.

"The Emmys will in no way validate the quality of the material we put out there.

"We take a little pride in not being nominated."

The Wire premiered in the States in June 2002 and came to an end in March this year. The fifth and final series is currently airing on FX in the UK.

Asked whether the show would ever come back, Gilliam said: "The writers and producers have moved on to other things."

"The toll taken on them to fight to have a comeback on television after each season has left them exhausted."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7529559.stm

What a guy Carver is. Sorted himself out good and proper.

:icon_lol: 2J in Eastend Gangster shocker

I always knew you were one of that lot :icon_lol:

• 2 weeks later...

series 2 clip

:icon_lol:

I finished season 5 yesterday, it will be a long time, if ever, that I will see anything as good as the Wire again

Nothing I have seen or read has changed the way I view the world quite as much as this program

4>1>3>2>5 >>> twin peaks>>>sopranos>>>>>>>>>everything else

Edited by spongebob toonpants

the last episode of season 4 that I acquired is missing the final 5 or ten minutes I reckon... it just abruptly ends with the Mayor walking to a big pair of wooden doors (I assume the governor)

:icon_lol:

I see Stringer is in the new Guy Ritchie film.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Wire acted as a spring board for a lot of young black actors. Bodie and Carver spring to mind.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Wire acted as a spring board for a lot of young black actors. Bodie and Carver spring to mind.

The new Guy Ritchie movie will be a significant step down though.

The new Guy Ritchie movie will be a significant step down though.

:shades:

useful in terms of raising profile though, you objectionable twerp.

Not seen Oz like? As they were in that before The Wire. :shades:

Not seen Oz like? As they were in that before The Wire. :shades:

Not seen it, no. :good: