Souness and the Sack

LeazesMag

As Shearer persuading Owen to sign has no doubt saved us from being bottom of the league tonight, and gave Souness more time :

How much longer do we think he will last ?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Shearer persuading Owen to sign has no doubt saved us from being bottom of the league tonight, and gave Souness more time :

41761[/snapback]

I think we'll see a switch towards the end of the season, and let whoever it is comnig in get his feet under the table as official manager. Unless of course we are chasing something in which case he'll last the season, but I can't help the feeling that we'll be drifting somewhere in the middle come March time.

41761[/snapback]

I think we'll see a switch towards the end of the season, and let whoever it is comnig in get his feet under the table as official manager. Unless of course we are chasing something in which case he'll last the season, but I can't help the feeling that we'll be drifting somewhere in the middle come March time.

41762[/snapback]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...rem/4277840.stm

post match interview on here ... apologies if it's somewhere else already.

I don't understand his views on injuries. Injuries are the norm- especially when some of those players are injury prone. Managers have to build a squad taking into account the liklihood that a few players will be injured. While we do have a long list at the moment and it's a bit unlucky, the argument that he can only be judged when we have a fully-fit squad is futile- having a 100% clean bill of health will only happen a couple of times a season at best.

I don't understand his views on injuries. Injuries are the norm- especially when some of those players are injury prone. Managers have to build a squad taking into account the liklihood that a few players will be injured. While we do have a long list at the moment and it's a bit unlucky, the argument that he can only be judged when we have a fully-fit squad is futile- having a 100% clean bill of health will only happen a couple of times a season at best.

41765[/snapback]

you're preaching to the converted mate...he's full of excuses, he's spent vastly more trying to improve a ready made top team than the vast majority of the premiership have spent in total...and still won't take responsibility or the flak for playing shit and performing like shit.

One day we will wake up and this nightmare will be ended and he will be gone.

Well he seems in pretty good spirits at least...

41768[/snapback]

On the Sky Sports interview he didn't look too chuffed. He said he was relatively pleased with a point but his body language suggests that he thought we should have gone out and got all three.

Well he seems in pretty good spirits at least...

41768[/snapback]

On the Sky Sports interview he didn't look too chuffed. He said he was relatively pleased with a point but his body language suggests that he thought we should have gone out and got all three.

41769[/snapback]

I think in the end though he may have been more relieved than anything that we got a point.

We had no Bramble, Dyer, Luque, Emre, Solano or Owen, then lost Babayaro to injury and got a 0-0 away.

Take Toure, Ljungberg, Pires, Gilberto, Hleb & Henry, and then Cole away from Arsenal and they'd have struggled.

Take Heinze, Ronaldo, Rooney, Keane, Scholes & van Nistelrooy, and then O'Shea and they'd have struggled. (well they lost 2-1 at home to Blackburn last week without a few of them).

Take King, Davids, Carrick, Jenas, Lennon & Defoe, and then Stalteri from Spurs and they'd have struggled.

Take Hyypia, Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Hamann & Cisse, and then Riise from Liverpool and they'd have struggled.

It's all very well people saying we should have the squad to compete, but our injury situation is beyond a joke, and any club barring Chelsea with the equivalent injuries would have been lucky to get a point today.

is it possible the present regime may have a bearing on the injury situation ????not having a go but does anyone know????

41827[/snapback]

Well the season just before Souness took over we had no Woodgate, Dyer, Jenas or Bellamy for important UEFA Cup Semi-Finals & Premiership games for Champions League qualification, so it's not as if injury plagues are a new thing under the new "regime".

We had no Bramble, Dyer, Luque, Emre, Solano or Owen, then lost Babayaro to injury and got a 0-0 away.

Take Toure, Ljungberg, Pires, Gilberto, Hleb & Henry, and then Cole away from Arsenal and they'd have struggled.

Take Heinze, Ronaldo, Rooney, Keane, Scholes & van Nistelrooy, and then O'Shea and they'd have struggled. (well they lost 2-1 at home to Blackburn last week without a few of them).

Take King, Davids, Carrick, Jenas, Lennon & Defoe, and then Stalteri from Spurs and they'd have struggled.

Take Hyypia, Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Hamann & Cisse, and then Riise from Liverpool and they'd have struggled.

It's all very well people saying we should have the squad to compete, but our injury situation is beyond a joke, and any club barring Chelsea with the equivalent injuries would have been lucky to get a point today.

41826[/snapback]

In total agreement....

We've now gone nearly 300 minutes without conceeding a goal. That's a defensive record that the likes of Keegan and Robson could only dream of, yet still he's not doing it right.... :lol:

Four of first choice forward 6 were not available today. We got a draw. Had we put out a full strength side and come out with that, I'd agree that it couldn't be classed as acceptable - but we're not going to win them all. If we draw those we don't win (and more importantly, keep a clean sheet), I'll accept it..

41826[/snapback]

Dyer has hardly played 50 percent of games for years, Emre wasn't here last year, neither was Owen. Luque has only just came, and in the brief viewing we have seen, for me, might have an application problem, however we will see. Babayaro wasn't here last year, and is a waste of space.

So. 50m quid to improve a SQUAD that Bobby Robson got to 4th, 3rd, 5th and 2nd phase of the Champions League.

Clubs like Portsmouth, bolton, Blackburn, West Ham, Villa, Wigan are all above us or on a par with our current league position, and all of these clubs have constructed their entire teams for less than that, never mind having the advantage of coming into a club with a ready made quality team as a head start.

Sorry matey, there is absolutely NO excuse for Souness. He is a shit manager, he always has been and always will be, and we will never fulfill the potential of players we have at the club while he is manager, plus the fact that his stupidity in telling the whole of football how desperate we are to sell players, and buy their replacements means we have been ripped off good and proper for at least 3 of his buys, such is the magnitude of his imcompetence and stupidity. For 50m quid to improve a top 5 team, we should have a team of racing certainties to get into the top 4, with plenty of players as back up to make up a quality squad to account for injuries.

Everyone has injuries, it is just an excuse peddled by Souness, but then we all knew when he came he would take the club downwards and make excuses for his and his teams ineptitude.

Take King, Davids, Carrick, Jenas,   Lennon & Defoe, and then Stalteri from Spurs and they'd have struggled.

41826[/snapback]

In total agreement....

We've now gone nearly 300 minutes without conceeding a goal. That's a defensive record that the likes of Keegan and Robson could only dream of, yet still he's not doing it right.... :lol:

Four of first choice forward 6 were not available today. We got a draw. Had we put out a full strength side and come out with that, I'd agree that it couldn't be classed as acceptable - but we're not going to win them all. If we draw those we don't win (and more importantly, keep a clean sheet), I'll accept it..

41833[/snapback]

I don't think any of either Robson or Keegan will be casting nervous glances at Souness equalling their POINTS total, or getting near their league positions.

Any team who puts 7 or 8 men behind the ball and spends 40m+ on 4 or 5 players should at least have a few points on the board and a decent defensive record. Shame we didn't have a shot on goal today though ..... hey, but I'm sure you like some of the others will look back when Souness has gone and quite rightly abuse the whole concept of a team playing in such a way..not that you will admit anything other than Souness was "unlucky"..... [ replace with any excuse of your choice rather than admit you backed him and were wrong to do to]

To compare Souness with Robson never mind Keegan, is mind boggling. Football is about scoring goals not just conceding and to suggest Souness will EVER get anywhere near the TEAM and RESULTS Keegan did is quite honestly one of the most deluded things I've ever read.

You all said, that Souness time starts when he had his team...well he has it now, and if his BACKROUND team can't train the players properly..........then it is his responsibility. We are playing like a poor side and you know it.

You are falling into the same hole as the others. Lower expectations, excuses...

By putting Jeanarse in Spurs important players, now that really is taking the piss ....

Edited by LeazesMag

is it possible the present regime may have a bearing on the injury situation ????not having a go but does anyone know????

41827[/snapback]

Well the season just before Souness took over we had no Woodgate, Dyer, Jenas or Bellamy for important UEFA Cup Semi-Finals & Premiership games for Champions League qualification, so it's not as if injury plagues are a new thing under the new "regime".

41832[/snapback]

thats a good point but Im not sure its the one you are trying to make. All clubs get injuries and the tend to add up towards the end of the season were players who haev been playing with little knocks will be more likely to break down. To have the number of injuries we do at this stage in the season some serious questions need to be asked. Do you think its just coincidence that they are all hamsring injuries? The manager has to take responsibility as its his decisions and undoubtedly his training methods that are contributing to this. Im sick to death of hearing about how many players we have injured as being an excuse for piss poor after piss poor performance.

Craig you might be happy with a clean sheet, you might have been ecstatic with a 3 nil win over Blackburn but the level of performance and quality of football we have been playing is shocking. Its ok to be happy with winning or getting positives when you can but this has been going on for to long, if it wasnt for Given yesterday we'd have been battered by a poor , underperforming Portsmouth team, Portsmouth ffs! If you want NUFC to be successful Souness need to bugger off and fuck another club up. You've got to look past the result and look at the bigger picture. The man can not build, train, or set up a decent footballing side. I dont expect him to be performing miracles I expect to see signs that he's doing things right, I expect to see a side that has a plan and a system, we have neither. His coaching staff alone should set the alarm bells ringing. Saunders , Murray and McDermott ....its fucking comical.

Portsmouth are a team of journeymen footballers who are struggling. Take out their fluke win at Everton and things would be even worse for them.

Their two best players (probably) were out.

Yes, we had injuries, but Shearer still has it (Souness must think so because he talked him into doing another season) and Shola 'can be a 20 goal a season player', according to Souness.

Surely, SURELY we have a squad of players, regardless of injuries, who could have at least threatened Portsmouth????

We hardly threatened them at all. Is this not concerning to all of us?? :lol:

You all said, that Souness time starts when he had his team...well he has it now, and if his BACKROUND team can't train the players properly..........then it is his responsibility.

41845[/snapback]

How many times was Shearer injured under SBR? To my knowledge, he's yet to suffer one under Souness. If his team can't train the players properly and cause injuries, why hasn't one of the most injury-prone players of recent NUFC times, in the twilight of his career (therefore more susceptible to injury) been living on the treatment table?

Another example is Jonathan Woodgate. If Souness' team has got it so wrong, and so different to SBR, why was Woodgate always injured under SBR?

You all said, that Souness time starts when he had his team...well he has it now, and if his BACKROUND team can't train the players properly..........then it is his responsibility.

41845[/snapback]

How many times was Shearer injured under SBR? To my knowledge, he's yet to suffer one under Souness. If his team can't train the players properly and cause injuries, why hasn't one of the most injury-prone players of recent NUFC times, in the twilight of his career (therefore more susceptible to injury) been living on the treatment table?

Another example is Jonathan Woodgate. If Souness' team has got it so wrong, and so different to SBR, why was Woodgate always injured under SBR?

42063[/snapback]

As you are intent on arguing Souness case until the end matey, can I just say that if not for Souness "improving the team by selling a player he didn't want" we could have been playing Bellamy and Owen up front.

Can I also say that I have never made a point of mentioning specific injuries to specific players, there are always swings and roundabouts, the same as motivation factors in players ie it's all well and good pointing out that players like Bramble have improved, it doesn't in any way compensate for the fact that others have gone backwards,. it just negates it.

BUT - at the end of the day, my point is as it has always been. Results. Where were we in the league, where are we now. How were we playing, were we playing like a good side, do we now ?

In both cases, the answer is that we have gone backwards. And are millions of quid worse off as well.

Last 4 games, no goals conceded, 4 scored, 8 points gained......

..... of course its on results, and our results are improving.

And that was without..... Owen, Bramble, Dyer, Luque, Solano and Emre. In fact, apart from Parker our entire first team midfield is out injured.

Not bad under the circumstances, but I guess never will be good enough for the whiners.

Last 4 games, no goals conceded, 4 scored, 8 points gained......

..... of course its on results, and our results are improving.

And that was without..... Owen, Bramble, Dyer, Luque, Solano and Emre. In fact, apart from Parker our entire first team midfield is out injured.

Not bad under the circumstances, but I guess never will be good enough for the whiners.

42555[/snapback]

Did you watch any of those games? Because if you did you would know that, first half against Man City excepted, we were completely shit and very fortunate to get more than 3 points.

You've just proved how well Souness has lowered expectations - this shit we are forced to endure is good enough for you and if you disagree you are then a whiner. :lol: