Spurs report Liverpool and Manchester United for tapping up

Douggy B

As much as I don't like to see players being tapped up, how hilarious would it be to see Spurs lose their first choice strike partnership?

And turn 18 mil expediture into 50mil?

I would be more worried about the strengthening we could do with that kind of dough.

£50m? You'd be very, very lucky to get that.

Thats how much we value two players on long term contracts at.

They can pay or fuck off. Simple as.

Unsettled players go in the end, it's why the biggest clubs get who they want 9 time out of 10, even Man U isn't immune. £50m is an insane valuation for those two though. £30m maybe.

Fergie goes to war over Berbatov allegations

Sir Alex Ferguson is considering legal action against the Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy as Berbatov row continues

Jonathan Northcroft in Cape Town

SIR ALEX FERGUSON is considering legal action against the Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy as the row over Manchester United’s pursuit of striker Dimitar Berbatov threatens to escalate into an ugly confrontation between the clubs. Ferguson is incandescent about a statement by Levy in which he branded the United manager “unbelievably hypocritical” and accused him of “sheer arrogance”.

Levy has also made a complaint to the Premier League regarding Ferguson’s conduct in his attempts to sign Berbatov, for whom United have bid £20m. United indicated last night that this would be vigorously contested.

At the centre of the argument are quotes attributed to Ferguson in The Sun, which he categorically denies having given. The newspaper quoted Ferguson as saying he was confident of signing Berbatov. Levy interpreted this as “interference” with regard to his player, labelling it “probably one of the worst offences by any manager in the Premier League to date”.

However, Ferguson, speaking in Cape Town after United drew 1-1 with Kaizer Chiefs in the first game of their South African tour, hit back in the strongest terms. “It is going to be very embarrassing for Tottenham because they have based their complaint on a story in The Sun. I don’t know where they got these quotes from, but it certainly wasn’t me,” Ferguson said.

“I haven’t seen [Levy’s statement] yet. I have just been given the gist of it by our press officer. But I’m sure our legal people will be looking at it.”

Unless it can be proved that Ferguson made the comments in dispute, Levy could find himself defending a defamation case. However, last night Tottenham said that they stood firmly by the statement.

In all likelihood, the row has strengthened United’s chances of signing Berbatov, who joined Spurs in May 2006 for £10.9m. Levy was determined to play hardball over the 27-year-old Bulgarian striker, for whom he is thought to be seeking £30m, but he may have to be more accommodating should he find himself trying to persuade Ferguson not to sue.

Barcelona are also interested in Berbatov and are reported to be ready to offer Tottenham £24m for his services.

Spurs prepare fans for Keane sale

By Matt Ladson On July 19, 2008 Top Story, Columnist Articles | Comments Disabled

Tottenham’s announcement that they are to report Liverpool - and Manchester United - for their pursuit of Robbie Keane - and Dimitar Berbatov - is merely their way of preparing fans for the exit of two key players.

Reports on Friday suggested Keane’s arrival at Liverpool is close, with some claiming personal terms had been agreed and all that remained was the players’ medical. The fee is said to be close to £18m for the record Republic of Ireland goalscorer.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy’s comments regarding the breach of rules with regards Rafa Benitez’s public statement of interest to sign the player seem more likely to be a PR stunt designed to prepare their own supporters and make it appear they had no option but to sell the players once we had “illegally” acted.

Levy said:

“The behaviour of both clubs has been disgraceful. We told both clubs very early on that we had no interest in selling Robbie or Dimitar, respectively, and that they should refrain from pursuing the player. Both clubs arrogantly chose to ignore this request and we now have evidence that both clubs have systematically been working to prise the players away from us, outside of PL rules of conduct.”

Yet Spurs manager Juande Ramos had just a day earlier said:

“The idea is to sign good young players with quality and a good future and if we get good offers for older players to study them to see if it benefits the club. At the moment they [Keane and Berbatov] are both with us, but whatever happens, the idea is to have a squad with the potential to improve on last season.”

If ever a manager was preparing for the exit of a player it is surely there.

Furthermore, Spurs should maybe take a look at themselves having recently been in the news after ‘persuading’ John Bostock to leave Crystal Palace at the age of 16.

Or how about former Spurs manager Martin Jol’s public comments about David Bentley being their “number one target” last summer? Or Tottenham’s alleged illegal approach for coach Gus Poyet from Leeds. Or what about, most famously, the dirty way they sacked Jol and approached Ramos? Take this line from The Telegraph from the time “It is not the first time Tottenham have been caught out in clandestine talks with a candidate for the manager’s chair at White Hart Lane.”

That report continued: “Just over three years ago the Spurs chairman Daniel Levy was pictured leaving the Hilton Hotel near Heathrow Airport after meeting former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri as the club sought a successor for Glenn Hoddle.

At least Spurs had a vacancy to fill back then, having sacked Hoddle 10 months earlier.

This time around Martin Jol is still very much in the hot seat. But it is growing abundantly clear that he is facing the same fate as the former England manager. The meeting with Sevilla coach Juande Ramos, at the Hotel Rey Alfonso last Friday is the firmest indicator yet that Jol’s days are numbered.

A club spokeswoman insisted yesterday that Tottenham were not in “negotiations with anybody in respect to replacing Martin Jol”.

Tottenham were unable to provide any satisfactory explanation yesterday for the pictures of the meeting between Spurs vice-chairman Paul Kemsley, club secretary John Alexander, Ramos and his agent Alvaro Torres, published by Seville newspaper Estadio Deportivo on Saturday.”

Hypocrisy stinks?

Old whisky face can fuck off. The quotes were directly attributed to him in the screws, if he has a problem he needs to take it up with them.

His arrogance and hypocrisy knows no limits.

I hate him with a passion.

Old whisky face can fuck off. The quotes were directly attributed to him in the screws, if he has a problem he needs to take it up with them.

What about your tapping up of Ramos?

Haha, Fergie dismissing Levy with ease.

:jesuswept:

It will come back to bit him in the arse, Levy is a stuborn bugger. I would be surprised to see him sold abroad cut price now.

We were reported for it and rightly so. We ended up paying compo through the nose for him and united should do the same.

They're hypocrites.

They're hypocrites.

Yup Liverpool, Man U and Spurs are all hypocrites. Who would have guessed? :jesuswept::D

They're hypocrites.

Yup Liverpool, Man U and Spurs are all hypocrites. Who would have guessed? :jesuswept::D

Welcome to reality.

They're hypocrites.

Welcome to reality.

Welcome to Sarcasm, Population 3301. :D

Danny Boy,

I know this may come as a complete shock to you but believe it or not, not all quotes attributed to people in the screws, were actually made by them.

Ferguson gave an interview where he confirmed they had lodged a bid for an unamed player and they expected that bid to be accepted in time. Everybody may 'think they know' that player is Berbatov (and that would be my guess) but Fergie was very deliberate in not naming him.

Our esteemed journalist, Mr Custis, writing in 'The Sun' then printed the story that the player was indeed Berbatov. Allegedly he has since confirmed that he actually took that story from a Nowegian fan site :headphonedance:

Journalist in trawling fan sites for a story shocker ;)

My guess is nearly every club has been guilty of tapping up players in the past but I sincerely hope your chairman has more evidence than the Custis quote or I suspect it's going to cost him a lot of money. Fergie is a greedy man and has shown his willingness to take things to court in the past to try and get a few bob (witness the infamous racehorse case).

Danny Boy,

I know this may come as a complete shock to you but believe it or not, not all quotes attributed to people in the screws, were actually made by them.

Ferguson gave an interview where he confirmed they had lodged a bid for an unamed player and they expected that bid to be accepted in time. Everybody may 'think they know' that player is Berbatov (and that would be my guess) but Fergie was very deliberate in not naming him.

Our esteemed journalist, Mr Custis, writing in 'The Sun' then printed the story that the player was indeed Berbatov. Allegedly he has since confirmed that he actually took that story from a Nowegian fan site :headphonedance:

My guess is nearly every club has been guilty of tapping up players in the past but I sincerely hope your chairman has more evidence than the Custis quote or I suspect it's going to cost him a lot of money. Fergie is a greedy man and has shown his willingness to take things to court in the past to try and get a few bob (witness the infamous racehorse case).

The actually origination of the story was from a Norwegian journalist called Morten Olsen writing on behalf of the Manchester United scandanavion supporters trust. has now retracted his quotes saying

He has just remembered that despite being the only journalist interviewing Sir Alex at the time, the room they were in was a bit noisey and it was difficult to hear what was actually said.

Now I am aware that every club does it but SAF is worse than most. There was a great story on 365 about his antics in the stam / RVN and Robben fiascos that highlights his past dealings.

And then what happens today?

The ever quiet Carrick comes out with "The best thing I ever did was sign for united". That's convenient.

The best thing you managed to do Michael was convince Jol to play you in front of Mendes and give you the chance you ungrateful ****.

Guest Stevie

Danny Boy,

The actually origination of the story was from a Norwegian journalist called Morten Olsen writing on behalf of the Manchester United scandanavion supporters trust. has now retracted his quotes saying

He has just remembered that despite being the only journalist interviewing Sir Alex at the time, the room they were in was a bit noisey and it was difficult to hear what was actually said.

Now I am aware that every club does it but SAF is worse than most. There was a great story on 365 about his antics in the stam / RVN and Robben fiascos that highlights his past dealings.

And then what happens today?

The ever quiet Carrick comes out with "The best thing I ever did was sign for united". That's convenient.

The best thing you managed to do Michael was convince Jol to play you in front of Mendes and give you the chance you ungrateful ****.

Carrick was always too good for Tottenham, you seriously believe in your heart you could hang on to the likes of him or Berbatov for more than 3 years?

:headphonedance: Stevie you schizo, other teams fans love to have their cake and eat it.

When he played for us he was rubbish and overated, now he was always too good for us.

We turned him from a 3.5m player into an 18m player and it sickens you doesnt it?