Nice Article

Wavey Davey

from billyfurious.co.uk:

Due to the lunchtime kick-off, Liverpool at St James’ last season was the first game after England failed to qualify for The European Championships. Steven Gerrard was, somewhat surprisingly, given a very hostile reception and later across the country other members of our “Golden Generation” of international representatives were also abused. Naturally the media were horrified and Newcastle fans in particular were scolded for their impertinence – how dare they? – (Nowhere was it reported that Peter Crouch was applauded when he came on as sub because he actually played like he gave a crap while McClaren watched from beneath his brolly).

But oh how we were punished as Gerrard and Torres pulled down Sam Allardyce’s tactical trousers and exposed our big bare arse in a 3-0 win for the Reds. That put us in our place didn’t it? Gerrard, motivation called into question, going up the gears to put in an unstoppable performance to shut us up? He who laughs last – and all that.

Really?

Or did the massive leap in performance level and drive from Gerrard actually prove those who chose to boo him right? Only a fool would suggest Gerrard is a poor player and we haven’t got enough fools in our number to make that much noise – so the only conclusion is that Newcastle fans thought Gerrard and many of his pampered and over-hyped international team mates had let their country down. Which of course they had and beating up on a shambolic Newcastle side didn’t change that.

Last laugh? Don’t make me. Were the England players who came up so pitifully short still laughing when the European Championships were on – we fans were because they were great fun and the Championships are over now which makes the last laugh ours.

Ha!

How many people have you spoken to in recent weeks have said “I really enjoyed it,” when talking of The European Championships, a note of surprise in their voice like they didn’t expect to? That’s because football is brilliant and we’d forgotten how much we love it under the weight of all the hateful people, greed and bullshit normally attached to the game – no England meant no Sun wallcharts, no J.T., Stevie G, Lamps, WAGS and drunk people from Essex throwing chairs at policemen. No Scotland, Irelands or Wales meant the media couldn’t assume we English would all happily support teams we actually dislike the most. In fact the best way to savour the Championships was to have even less British football involved in them. No papers, no build up – flick in and out of the games as you like and straight over to Springwatch or a National Geographic documentary on snow leopards for twenty minutes during halftime. Re-charge your glass and open another bag of nibbles for the second half, then at full-time - away round the channels in search of Family Guy.

Making the mistake of turning up early or sticking around for expert analysis could only induce bitter abuse – especially on the BBC where the whole lot of them (and I include Alan Shearer) only seemed to be there to look smug and play golf (sorry those things automatically go together – you don’t need to say them both – one follows the other as does the word “cun-(bomb-noise!)”). Any football that may or may not need commentating on was clearly of secondary importance.

It was no better if you went for the radio option where Chris Waddle still can’t say “penalty” (what’s a pellanti Chris?) and Alan Green has descended to a level where he now seems to find watching football physically painful. If it’s so hard Alan – f*** off and we’ll all be happier.

With the commentary off altogether (replaced by spikey guitars in our house) you had no pathetic grasping for any English connection (Fabregas’ first name is not Arsenal’s) and the European Championships were thrilling, exciting, annoying, disappointing, hilarious and fun – in short - a laugh.

What was Steven Gerrard doing while we were laughing? 1. wishing he’d got his damn finger out when playing for his country. or 2.Stropping round his (undoubtedly) tasteless house, shouting at the gardener, demanding Gareth Barry signs for Liverpool and wondering what him and his shark-eyed wife would wear for the Rooneys’ wedding. The answer will tell you everything you need to know about top flight football in this country.

Edited by Zebra

Billy Furious isn't a bad writer and he usually calls it right. Very true about the Euros.

Anyway, I was surprised when the booing started in that match and it took me a few minutes to work out why. A bit pantomine matinee imo.

Billy Furious isn't a bad writer and he usually calls it right. Very true about the Euros.

Anyway, I was surprised when the booing started in that match and it took me a few minutes to work out why. A bit pantomine matinee imo.

Wasn't that the game when the muppets were chanting "Big Sam For England" can't remember if it was that game of the Pompey one.

Wasn't that the game when the muppets were chanting "Big Sam For England" can't remember if it was that game of the Pompey one.

Think it was that match. Started by the Livepool fans and continued by a few fuckwits amongst our own lot.

My memory is shit then as i was talking about that last night and said it was the city game just after xmas. I think you're right, it was the Liverpool game as some were claiming the scousers started the chant...

Guest Stevie
Newcastle fans really do love a good 'boooooooooooooooooooooo' ... spent most of last season at it.

None as big as the boos when Marseille turned you over at Anfield. Liverpool fans are fuckin shit, I think I've mentioned it before though.

Think it was that match. Started by the Livepool fans and continued by a few fuckwits amongst our own lot.

I can't blame them for making such a suggestion like, I mean such genius tactics were deployed such as playing Geremi as a wing-back.

Newcastle fans really do love a good 'boooooooooooooooooooooo' ... spent most of last season at it.

We did? ;) Odd that, as I only missed one home game last season and dont recall that many?

None as big as the boos when Marseille turned you over at Anfield. Liverpool fans are fuckin shit, I think I've mentioned it before though.

Didn`t spend all season at though ;) ... you racist tool.

Didn`t spend all season at though ;) ... you racist tool.

Well you can't boo and wear black armbands tbf, it's one or the other. :razz:

Not like you to exaggerate is it Ian Paisley/Rab C wannabe? There were boos at the Marseille game but no more than a handful doing it. Booing isn't something we do as a rule, that's why we're fuckin shit fans.

Not like you to exaggerate is it Ian Paisley/Rab C wannabe? There were boos at the Marseille game but no more than a handful doing it. Booing isn't something we do as a rule, that's why we're fuckin shit fans.

To be honest redshadow, if the plastic scouser torres hadn't typed another moment of wit from his pathetic yank mind, none of us would have to put up with stevie's shite ramblings.

To be honest redshadow, if the plastic scouser torres hadn't typed another moment of wit from his pathetic yank mind, none of us would have to put up with stevie's shite ramblings.

I know he's far from representitive of fans on this board sammy, even when the Liverpool comments are negative they're usually said in self defence or a smugness that it's happening somewhere else. All fans do that about all clubs, and if you go on another clubs forum you don't expect to read too many good things about your club. I have no problem with that at all.

I can understand the hate of Liverpool as a football club from fans of clubs who haven't been as successful, not sure I wouldn't hate them too if I was born somewhere else, but this guys obsessive hate and jealousy goes way beyond all of that, right through from football, to city, to people, even to the point of telling outright lies at times. Liverpool is top of his hate list by a long way but he doesn't like anywhere that has a bit of success or character.

He even discriminates in his own area ffs. The man's a bigotted loser and is guaranteed to provide a reason for the likes of Torres to raise the banter stakes.

Edited by Redshadow

I know he's far from representitive of fans on this board sammy, even when the Liverpool comments are negative they're usually said in self defence or a smugness that it's happening somewhere else. All fans do that about all clubs, and if you go on another clubs forum you don't expect to read too many good things about your club. I have no problem with that at all.

I can understand the hate of Liverpool as a football club from fans of clubs who haven't been as successful, not sure I wouldn't hate them too if I was born somewhere else, but this guys obsessive hate and jealousy goes way beyond all of that, right through from football, to city, to people, even to the point of telling outright lies at times. Liverpool is top of his hate list by a long way but he doesn't like anywhere that has a bit of succress or character.

He even discriminates in his own area ffs. The man's a bigotted loser and is guaranteed to provide a reason for the likes of Torres to raise the banter stakes.

Redshadow, I highly doubt you'd find to many on here arguing with you about the worth of stevie but if you read the "school teachers you think were cunts" thread in GC it answers a lot about the man's lack of intelligence.

Torres on the other hand is just stevie by another name/club.

I like Billy Furious, he's usually pretty entertaining. I got his 'Quest for the Intertoto' as a prezzie, it's perfect reading material for the smallest room in the house

I like Billy Furious, he's usually pretty entertaining. I got his 'Quest for the Intertoto' as a prezzie, it's perfect reading material for the smallest room in the house

I was disappointed by it tbh. had its moments but it was very average in the main. A Mag For All Seasons was good though.

If you look at the core point, I completely agree.

Euro 2008 didn't miss England at all. It was actually pleasant to be able to watch the games and support the team that simply played the best football. And being realistic, it's impossible to argue that our England team would have done much had we qualified. Spain, Russia, Holland all put in performances that I haven't seen in a long time from an England side.