Tonight's match

The Fish

Bassong was head and shoulders above anyone else purely because he did what was asked of him. Because of the lack of fans, you could clearly hear Geremi shouting orders at everyone which explains why Keegan gave him the armband. I hadnt seen Smith finish a full 90 for some time and on the back of that, it really is embarrassing to see him play up front. On the basis that we've signed Collocini, I think we're still 2 players short for going into the new season. We really need another midfielder and ideally a striker who can be called upon to score goals. Smith & Ameobi should be sold off to the highest bidder which means we'll probably generate about £3m from them together if we're lucky.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Smith was a poor signing a year ago and I always suspected that we'd get nothing from him apart from silly tackles and '110 per cent effort', but he still manages to surprise me with just how shit he is. It's amazing he was still getting called up for England until a few months ago, but then again maybe it isn't, he was always ridiculously overrated.

I thought Smith was a poor signing a year ago.

You might have been in the minority there....

I'm loving the look of Smith in a Newcastle shirt.

ditto ^^ :D

Dare I say it he reminds me (particularly when he got back to the centre circle and was encouraging the others) very much of a certain welshman who used to play for us...

The fella is better though IMO :nah:

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...15216&st=80

:D

:razz:

Ahh, the joyous optimism of a succesful pre-season schedule.

In fairness to Smith I think he'd be a lot better at a club with a starting role where he played he favoured position all the time.

It's not the entire issue with him by a long chalk here, but he has had a very stop-start time, and had been played almost everywhere but defence, and didn't even have a run at Man U after his injury really either.

I don't think we should keep him, but no player is going to produce anything like their best under those conditions.