Is it Scotch? Is it whisky? Is it Scotch whisky?

sammynb

Today's brought a bit of bad news, actually the world is fucked and life is a cunt, so I'm pouring myself my third Glenlivet this afternoon and I have to say there is nothing like a 10 year old Aberlour.

Got a preference?

Edited by sammynb

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, I do like a wee dram from time to time, but I'm no expert. There's a place back in Mainz called Kamin that has a roaring fireplace in the middle of the room, a list of whiskies as long as your arm and a gnarled old proprietor who'll happily talk you through them all. Lovely stuff.

Seriously though, I do like a wee dram from time to time, but I'm no expert. There's a place back in Mainz called Kamin that has a roaring fireplace in the middle of the room, a list of whiskies as long as your arm and a gnarled old proprietor who'll happily talk you through them all. Lovely stuff.

Sounds like paradise. :D

Sounds like paradise. :razz:

It would be if there weren't so many German students ruining the place. :D

You tried The Macallan Sammy? Bit like Aberlour but nicer imo.

I haven't Alex but I will when I get a chance.

To be honest I'm not a fan of the Glenlivet but I still have half a litre left, the Aberlour is unopened and I was more interested in the effect than the taste.

I've also got to work my way through a bottle of Glenfiddich before I can go Macallan'ning.

I'm still searching for waht is reputed to be the greatest of them all

It's in a bottle with a red, white and blue picture of Big Ben on the front and the name "Houses of Parliament Whisky"

and underneath the script "brewed in Buckingham Palace under the personal supervision of His majesty King George"

It could be found in India a while back...............

I'm still searching for waht is reputed to be the greatest of them all

It's in a bottle with a red, white and blue picture of Big Ben on the front and the name "Houses of Parliament Whisky"

and underneath the script "brewed in Buckingham Palace under the personal supervision of His majesty King George"

It could be found in India a while back...............

Dearest perhaps. Best? Unlikely.

Slightly dry on the finish for my liking. Nice stuff though. I've got a bottle of Cragganmore on the go at the minute (not literally btw).

I know what you mean, but it's so drinkable, doesn't have that harsh hotness some lesser whiskeys do. Or maybe it's just because I'm always sloshed when I get one....

I know what you mean, but it's so drinkable, doesn't have that harsh hotness some lesser whiskeys do. Or maybe it's just because I'm always sloshed when I get one....

Nah, it's fucking quality stuff is Oban. Another of my faves is Arran single malt. Also one of the few independent distilleries and it's made in the traditional way, i.e. non-chill filtered.