Is it Scotch? Is it whisky? Is it Scotch whisky?

sammynb

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be partial to a drop of Glenmorangie bought at the duty free. Sadly good whisky is too pricy to buy in NZ, but that's probably better for my health anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm a big fan of ardberg. some might find it a bit too petey but if that's how you like your scotch, this one is hard to beat

ardbeg.jpg

i'm more of a bourbon man myself though. love a drop of wild turkey or maker's mark me.

wild_turkey.jpg

src_000225001.jpg

Edited by Dr Gloom

That's where Nashville surprised me. Every bar had decent stuff like Maker's Mark behind the bar, but most of the blokes were drinking Bud Light. :lol:

i don't get why americans don't like nice lager. i just got back from vegas, it's light beer all the way out there.

Guest alex
That's where Nashville surprised me. Every bar had decent stuff like Maker's Mark behind the bar, but most of the blokes were drinking Bud Light. :o

i don't get why americans don't like nice lager. i just got back from vegas, it's light beer all the way out there.

I don't think their taste in lager is any worse than most British people's like, do you? Even Bud Light is nicer than Carling.

That's where Nashville surprised me. Every bar had decent stuff like Maker's Mark behind the bar, but most of the blokes were drinking Bud Light. :o

I don't think their taste in lager is any worse than most British people's like, do you? Even Bud Light is nicer than Carling.

Aye. They have lovely stuff such as Leffe and Old Rasputin too.

Guest alex

They make some nice stuff in America at 'boutique' / micro breweries. Goose Island, Sierra Nevada etc.

That's where Nashville surprised me. Every bar had decent stuff like Maker's Mark behind the bar, but most of the blokes were drinking Bud Light. :D

:angry:

As for British taste, I don't know, has it not improved like? You still see piss like Fosters all over the place, but - and maybe it's just my exposure to wanky Lahndahn types talking here - I get the impression we've at least evolved to a point where something like Kronenbourg or Stella is more the standard pint. I realise it's not the same as hops lovingly cultivated by trappist monks, but still, compared with Bud/Miller/Corona Light... :o

Guest alex
That's where Nashville surprised me. Every bar had decent stuff like Maker's Mark behind the bar, but most of the blokes were drinking Bud Light. :D

:angry:

As for British taste, I don't know, has it not improved like? You still see piss like Fosters all over the place, but - and maybe it's just my exposure to wanky Lahndahn types talking here - I get the impression we've at least evolved to a point where something like Kronenbourg or Stella is more the standard pint. I realise it's not the same as hops lovingly cultivated by trappist monks, but still, compared with Bud/Miller/Corona Light... :o

Aye, it's a lot better than it used to be I reckon. You see a canny few places making a bit of an effort. Still room for improvement like. I bet Carling's the best seller though.

:D

I should have said "sell". I know it's Belgian.

• 1 month later...
That's where Nashville surprised me. Every bar had decent stuff like Maker's Mark behind the bar, but most of the blokes were drinking Bud Light. :scratchchin:

carling's piss though isn't it? i don't know anyone who drinks it, or many pubs that even sell it on draught anymore. british beer is all about real ales, not crappy lager.

premium strength, continental lagers on the other hand are different gravy, and pretty much all you can get on tap in london bars. i can't understand why they don't stock them in most american bars. serioulsy, i just got back fromt he states and it's miller and bud light all the way over there. no nice, strong european lagers anywhere

Edited by Dr Gloom

Carling is the biggest selling beer in England isn't it?

maybe in the provinces. not down here in the smoke, i'd wager. it's budvar, stella, kronenberg etc all the way down here.

The charvas love it all over tbh. And they don't necessarily do most of their drinking in bars. They buy it by the case.

can't argue with that. i'm sure it sells like hotcakes down here in places like croydon and canning town.

The charvas love it all over tbh. And they don't necessarily do most of their drinking in bars. They buy it by the case.

can't argue with that. i'm sure it sells like hotcakes down here in places like croydon and canning town.

You see less and less of it in pubs up here now but you still see the chavez carry it roond by the case. I think it's improving in bars all over as they have to make a bit of an effort. I was in the Lakes recently and it was great to see loads of places selling stuff from local micro breweries etc.

That's a bourbon isn't it? I keep meaning to give some 'proper' bourbon a go. I occasionally like a JD/Jim Beam and coke (1/2 & 1/2). I know JD isn't actually a bourbon btw.