Owen holding out on contract?

Park Life

By Telegraph staff

Last Updated: 10:22AM BST 07 Aug 2008

No hurry: Michael Owen believes contract negotiations will take time Photo: Getty

Michael Owen appears in no rush to sign a new contract at Newcastle, despite the fact his current deal will expire next summer.

The 28-year-old England international has had two meetings to discuss extending his stay, but believes negotiations will "take time".

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is looking to slash the club's £70 million annual wage bill, but Owen, who reportedly earns £115,000 a week at St James' Park, is unlikely to accept a pay cut.

"We have been opening contract negotiations, there have been a couple of meetings so far but it will take time," Owen told the Daily Mirror.

Owen has been frustrated by injury and the mumps ahead of the new Premier League season, which starts on August 16.

"It is certainly not the ideal build-up," he added.

"In the successful seasons in my career I have always had a good preseason, and when not I have struggled a bit."

Sneaky.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...-Newcastle.html

Edited by Park Life

I hate Owen, never wanted us to get him

too injury prone for his fee and wages..

I'm going assume they've tried to offer him a performance based deal

"If" they have offered him a lower wage deal but with the option of it being around the same pending on games played/goals scored/assists

and he's crying off and want's a straight 110k a week, he's a money grubbing little git

the amount of games he's played and goals scored for us vs the cash he's happily collected after wrecking himself rushing back to England duty is a disgrace

if he thinks hes worth the money and fit/upto scoring and being captain etc he should be taking the performance based deal.

Yet there's still a twenty foot likeness of him on the window of the club shop which shows it's not just about what he does on the pitch. He's worth an absoloute mint to us in terms of marketing. Once he goes I can't imagine Japanese kids buying a Newcastle top with 'Taylor' printed on it, or Cacapa getting on the cover of PES09.

Plus his recent form is seven goals in nine games. His fitness is the clubs responsibility as much as it's his.

Edited by Happy Face

"If" they have offered him a lower wage deal but with the option of it being around the same pending on games played/goals scored/assists

and he's crying off and want's a straight 110k a week, he's a money grubbing little git

the amount of games he's played and goals scored for us vs the cash he's happily collected after wrecking himself rushing back to England duty is a disgrace

if he thinks hes worth the money and fit/upto scoring and being captain etc he should be taking the performance based deal.

Yet there's still a twenty foot likeness of him on the window of the club shop which shows it's not just about what he does on the pitch. He's worth an absoloute mint to us in terms of marketing. Once he goes I can't imagine Japanese kids buying a Newcastle top with 'Taylor' printed on it, or Cacapa getting on the cover of PES09.

Plus his recent form is seven goals in nine games. His fitness is the clubs responsibility as much as it's his.

Here here

I hope he signs.

I never got this anamosity towards Owen. He's been very, very unlucky with injuries (that one against Sweden being a good example) and it was only due to the fact he's been a stalwart of the England side for so long he good picked for them by Sven/McLaren when he was 75% fit.

His conduct both on and off the field is fantastic, he changes the side when he plays in it and he always gives his 110%. Still, some of our fans just don't seem to be able to take him to their hearts as they do with more inconsistant and less talented players like Martins. It boggles the mind.

By Telegraph staff

Last Updated: 10:22AM BST 07 Aug 2008

No hurry: Michael Owen believes contract negotiations will take time Photo: Getty

Michael Owen appears in no rush to sign a new contract at Newcastle, despite the fact his current deal will expire next summer.

The 28-year-old England international has had two meetings to discuss extending his stay, but believes negotiations will "take time".

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is looking to slash the club's £70 million annual wage bill, but Owen, who reportedly earns £115,000 a week at St James' Park, is unlikely to accept a pay cut.

"We have been opening contract negotiations, there have been a couple of meetings so far but it will take time," Owen told the Daily Mirror.

Owen has been frustrated by injury and the mumps ahead of the new Premier League season, which starts on August 16.

"It is certainly not the ideal build-up," he added.

"In the successful seasons in my career I have always had a good preseason, and when not I have struggled a bit."

Sneaky.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...-Newcastle.html

sneaking ... always sneaking.

He's holding out for a hero.

... till the end of the night ...

Bonnie Tyler was as bad as Liverpool when it came to deadlines.

First it was the end of the night, then she was giving him till the morning light.

Too needy tbh, no wonder she could only fantasise about a white knight upon a fiery steed.

First it was the end of the night, then she was giving him till the morning light.

Too needy tbh, no wonder she could only fantasise about a white knight upon a fiery steed.

I'm sure it had more to do with the rhyming scheme rather than trying to be like Liverpool fans though.

I'm sure it had more to do with the rhyming scheme rather than trying to be like Liverpool fans though.

but surely the end of the night, and the onset of morning light are one and the same though? more to do with being technically correct than rhyming scheme or being like liverpool fans tbh :D

She had the hair do for it, well the males ones anyway.

Bonnie-Tyler-The-Greatest-Hits-366358.jpg

Ants ideal NUFC team :

Given

Given Given Given Given

Given Given Given

Given Given Given

She had the hair do for it, well the males ones anyway.

Bonnie-Tyler-The-Greatest-Hits-366358.jpg

I'd still have given her the best 5 minutes of her life though! :D

I'd still have given her the best 5 minutes of her life though! :D

Swapping make up tips? Singing falsetto? Or sexually? (is there a link between penis size and premature ejaculation? :) )

Two things - the injuries haven't been his fault and he's as good as any player we have or are likely to get any time soon. Those who 'hate' him and want him to leave should be careful what they wish for imo. Class player who still has a lot to offer I reckon.

Class player who still has a lot to offer I reckon.

if he plays and is injury free

Track record and odds of that happening? ... slim

And frankly the speed he rushed back to england before even kicking a ball for us to cripple himself again was his fault

He's likely to pick up hamstring niggles - aye. He isn't likely to pick up injuries like he did twice since he joined us - that was bad luck. You do realise the whole of the last sentence is inaccurate, don't you?

Edited by alex

Class player who still has a lot to offer I reckon.

if he plays and is injury free

Track record and odds of that happening? ... slim

And frankly the speed he rushed back to england before even kicking a ball for us to cripple himself again was his fault

The injury he had for us and the injury he got in Germany were not linked. The injury he got in the WC was a complete freak, a one in a million thing.

He probably did rush himself back to play in the World Cup as shown by his shite form in the little time he played, but name me a player who would've did different? There isn't one, ever player would've went to the WC had they been in Owen's position.

He's our best players by a country mile and his form was probably the main reason we pulled away from the relegation mire last season.

If you don't like him then fair enough, but don't talk shite to try and back your argument up.

Edited by Ketsbaia