The Olympics

AbsolutKazakh

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Showed her class there like, didn't speed up just to try and stay with richards. Well done Christine, lets hope Martyn Rooney can pull a blinder in the mens final and get a bronze (I think Merritt and Warriner will be running for gold and silver tbh)

Aye, you knew she'd have the usual kick over the last 100m, but once she was basically ahead halfway down the home straight I think even she was wondering what the fuck was going on. Class. B)

Brilliant interview with the high jump fella just now. Rough paraphrase:

"Andrey, are you surprised you only had to jump 2.36 to win?"

*dumb silence*

"Andrey, 2.36 was enough to win it. Are you surprised?"

*shorter dumb silence* "2.36....."

"Andrey, you jumped 2.36 and won the gold. Did you expect to have to jump higher?"

"Er.... yes." *walks off*

B)

I feel like I am in some sort of bizzarro world this Olympics. I think Ive seen ore Golds in the last four days than the rest of my life put together

Could we actually finish third in the medals table or are we likely to get overtaken once the cycling/rowing/sailing is finished

I think we look well set to come 3rd now.

I feel like I am in some sort of bizzarro world this Olympics. I think Ive seen ore Golds in the last four days than the rest of my life put together

Could we actually finish third in the medals table or are we likely to get overtaken once the cycling/rowing/sailing is finished

Thats absolutely astonishing. imo. I would genuinely have thought that was an utter impossibilty

Thats absolutely astonishing. imo. I would genuinely have thought that was an utter impossibilty

Me too. A lot has been made about beating Australia but beating Russia is something you would never have thought was possible. Also, I think we can about 35th in the medals table in Atlanta 12 years ago.

Edited by alex

Me too. A lot has been made about beating Australia but beating Russia is something you would never have thought was possible. Also, I think we can about 35th in the medals table in Atlanta 12 years ago.

See I don't get that, just on populations alone you guys should kick our arses every games.

Like in 1996 at the Atlanta Olympics where Australia did quite well in preparation for the 2000 Sydney event, someone in GB has realised it not a silly idea to do well the Olympics before your home event.

See I don't get that, just on populations alone you guys should kick our arses every games.

Like in 1996 at the Atlanta Olympics where Australia did quite well in preparation for the 2000 Sydney event, someone in GB has realised it not a silly idea to do well the Olympics before your home event.

I think you lot have made more of it to be fair, or your sports minister has. We're just enjoying doing well for a change.

I think you lot have made more of it to be fair, or your sports minister has. We're just enjoying doing well for a change.

Probably but that's not quite what I meant, I meant I've never understood why GB doesn't kick Australia's arse at each games just going on population differences, so it's about time. I'm ambivilant about the whole Ashes rivalry, unless I'm giving grief to an english mate.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Olympics (I spend all my energy and support on football) and I hate how Australia chucks so much money at it's team producing twats like Thorpie, etc.

If they spent half as much on the arts we might find this country has a little more culture than "football (AFL/league), meat pies, kangaroos and holden cars", fuck me stevie is right! :D

Probably but that's not quite what I meant, I meant I've never understood why GB doesn't kick Australia's arse at each games just going on population differences, so it's about time. I'm ambivilant about the whole Ashes rivalry, unless I'm giving grief to an english mate.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Olympics (I spend all my energy and support on football) and I hate how Australia chucks so much money at it's team producing twats like Thorpie, etc.

If they spent half as much on the arts we might find this country has a little more culture than "football (AFL/league), meat pies, kangaroos and holden cars", fuck me stevie is right! :D

To be honest mate, I think it's a good thing your country spends as much as it does on sport. I think it's good for the nation as a whole, in terms of feel good factor and overall health. Although you are getting a bit like America where people are either fit or fat with not much in between (but that's another issue). That money is the main reason why you do beat us mostly, along with the climate which cannot be underestimated in terms of lots of outdoors sports.

Also, I think you Aussies had a bit of a chip on your shoulder and an inferiority complex in a lot of ways towards Britain and England in particular. That's not meant to be a dig, it's just a fact that you're a relatively young country and so on that has been in the shadow of the 'motherland' for a number of reasons. One arena where that feeling of inferiority was banished was the sporting one. I think that's something that has changed over the last 20 years or so though and it's a good thing. By that I mean, you don't hate the English as much because culturally and so on you've grown as a nation and you're more self-confident.

I hope that doesn't come across as critical or sneering or anything because it wasn't meant to be.

It'll all end in tears. We can only do worse at home in 2012 and be seen as a failure.

I think it's inevitable we will do worse but so long as we do well it shouldn't be seen as a failure. But it probably will be.

The fact is Sammy no one cares about swimming in thsi country and we still piss on you.

They still pissed on us in the swimming though. They should do as well. I definitely put that down to climate.

There's your answer. UK sports funding is diabolical (it's better currently with the lottery, and because of 2012, but still pretty bad, especially in general facilities).

Also when you look at the UK population as a whole it gets even worse, something like 4 out of 5 UK women do no effective exercise after leaving school (and these days even in school there isn't the mandatory sports there once was - or often the sports fields as they've been sold off for housing).