The Olympics

AbsolutKazakh

"There's never any graffiti in the hotel. Although in the Gents a couple of weeks a go I did see someone had drawn a lady's part. Quite detailed. The guy obviously had talent, that's the tragedy."

Did it have large flaps?

It could have been Alex reminiscing.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See I don't get that, just on populations alone you guys should kick our arses every games.

Like in 1996 at the Atlanta Olympics where Australia did quite well in preparation for the 2000 Sydney event, someone in GB has realised it not a silly idea to do well the Olympics before your home event.

I think you lot have made more of it to be fair, or your sports minister has. We're just enjoying doing well for a change.

Probably but that's not quite what I meant, I meant I've never understood why GB doesn't kick Australia's arse at each games just going on population differences, so it's about time. I'm ambivilant about the whole Ashes rivalry, unless I'm giving grief to an english mate.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Olympics (I spend all my energy and support on football) and I hate how Australia chucks so much money at it's team producing twats like Thorpie, etc.

If they spent half as much on the arts we might find this country has a little more culture than "football (AFL/league), meat pies, kangaroos and holden cars", fuck me stevie is right! :D

There's your answer. UK sports funding is diabolical (it's better currently with the lottery, and because of 2012, but still pretty bad, especially in general facilities).

Also when you look at the UK population as a whole it gets even worse, something like 4 out of 5 UK women do no effective exercise after leaving school (and these days even in school there isn't the mandatory sports there once was - or often the sports fields as they've been sold off for housing).

That is a problem within itself. Yes there is funding available but the majority of it will be thrown into 2012 and the 2014 Commomwealth Games in Glasgow rather than at grass roots and other levels, For 2014 we had to endure a huge campaign encouraging the whole country to get behind the bid when in reality it is going to result in a fair bit invested in Glasgow but shall be subsidised from other areas and those areas and the facilities etc will suffer...

It's not about funding the country breeds losers. It's alright to lose and winners are treated with suspicion.

Total cliched and baseless bollocks that. This games has shown funding in the right areas works. I suppose the Chinese were all losers before the massive funding increases which led to better training, facilities etc. Same goes for the reverse now with countries like Russia. And look at the massive positive reaction when people/teams are successful in England or other GB countries - it's euphoria rather than suspicion.

It probably is bollocks.

But my mate was saying that the sailing stuff is cause there are just so many sailing clubs (dinghy/laser) etc, combined with the fact half the planet aren't interested in it.

The cyclist are good cause they compete on a sponsored circuit all year round anyway....And we've always had good swimmers...

I take your point about Russia, as the state have backed off the money and organising just isn't there.

The acid test is track and field where we are nowhere.

The sailing stuff is because people in this country sail a lot and there are good facilities due to there being lots of clubs and the financial backing the top sailors get through funding which allows and helps them to compete all over the world. The cycling is because of funding and backing man. If there's a sponsored circuit how come we're better than all the other countries with access to the same circuit? And we haven't always had good swimmers at all, and certainly not in recent years. And we've done ok on the track and field side of things too actually. It isn't an exact science though where money and resources = results every time although a lot more money and resources probably is needed on that side of things. We've also performed better in other events than we ever have due to lottery funding and so on - first ever gymnastics medal and Beth Tweddle doing so well and coming very close to a medal. Look at the rowing as well - we've always had lots of rowing clubs but we've got arguably the best coach in the world now and we've had the best games in our history there too. I doubt he comes cheap. We've also done really well in the boxing - another area where funding has been increased. We had the most boxers we've ever had competing at the games since the qualifying criteria was changed (only 16 boxers can qualify in total for the 11 weights) and three of them have got a bronze at least.

The thing is though, funding in this country still isn't that great, which kicks into touch your idea that we breed losers in this country too.

I love the 800 metres. So much depth in the field this year and it's right on the dividing line between speed and tactics so every race ends up fairly unpredictable.

The speed they do it man. It's not that far off going all-out for two laps.

Howay Phillips, you can do it.

I have to admit I assumed he'd bottled it again, but that jump to take him back into the lead was lovely stuff. Hope he can hang on, but the Portuguese lad looks very useful.

Fuck's sake, I was going to put a bet on Merritt just now but I got there too late. :huh: The bookies always overrate Wariner, even if they've had grounds to do so over recent years.

:lol: Why didn't you stick it on online?

I have to admit I assumed he'd bottled it again, but that jump to take him back into the lead was lovely stuff. Hope he can hang on, but the Portuguese lad looks very useful.

I had him down as all edge and no bottle myself. He might have to better that jump to ensure gold though.

Fuck's sake, I was going to put a bet on Merritt just now but I got there too late. :huh: The bookies always overrate Wariner, even if they've had grounds to do so over recent years.

:lol: Why didn't you stick it on online?

That's what I wanted to do, everywhere I tried seemed to have shut up shop by the time the athletes were being announced to the crowd. Probably standard procedure but there you go. I'm a coward when it comes to the bookies so I'd have only put a fiver on at 7/2 anyway. I think I can cope with the loss. :(

Why are the American hurdlers making "I'm #1" gestures towards the cameras? They are quite clearly not.

They look happy about losing to a Cuban like.

I had him down as all edge and no bottle myself. He might have to better that jump to ensure gold though.

same again.... not quite good enough.

Olsson would have battered that lot if fit. he's a genuine 18metre + man....