Indian billionaire revives interest in Newcastle - and could hire Kevin Keegan

Scottish Mag

I think - or rather I hope - that as more people buy into the premiership, that its only a matter of time.

We are however the club most ripe for a sale, apart from Everton.

I only hope that, when it happens, we get good people, and by that I mean people who want to run a good club aiming for success and know whats needed.

Only the good people will survive the bad one's will get turfed out as we are about to witness.

Maybe it could actually be worse under this Indian or the Abu Dhabi lot.

Ashleys worth 1.4billion or so, a sustained period of boycott, bad press etc could actually affect his business and make it worth his while to get out. Imagine if Fat Ash had 25billion, he could easily just cast us aside without giving a fuck of the consequences. :lol:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think - or rather I hope - that as more people buy into the premiership, that its only a matter of time.

I only hope that, when it happens, we get good people, and by that I mean people who want to run a good club aiming for success and know whats needed.

Only the good people will survive the bad one's will get turfed out as we are about to witness.

Ashleys worth 1.4billion or so, a sustained period of boycott, bad press etc could actually affect his business and make it worth his while to get out. Imagine if Fat Ash had 25billion, he could easily just cast us aside without giving a fuck of the consequences. :lol:

At this time I'm willing to take that risk... though I can't see anyone buying us out any time soon, face it we're the plaything of Fat Cunt and his London goblins now.

Wouldn't reflect very well on the rest of his business life though and as we all know these days it is really all about confidece and branding. Once people stop believing in Sports direct it becomes another Joe Bloggs jeans or whatever they were called. A man or an owner can't destroy a club like Newcastle cause it is an idea and a sense of belonging that will outlive all our future owners. :woosh:

I see the MA episode where we as supporters are through the experinece developing and becoming stronger and have further entrenched what the club means to us. This episode will make us stronger and in return the club.

At this time I'm willing to take that risk... though I can't see anyone buying us out any time soon, face it we're the plaything of Fat Cunt and his London goblins now.

I predict they will be gone by the end of Jan. :woosh:

Aye if you look at Man City and what happened then NUFC has to be an attractive proposition, at least for someone with Man City-esq ambitions.

I agree with this, I do think Everton will be next to go

Well, Everton would cost less than us, but they don't have a ground like us and need a new one.

Newcastle also have a massively superior brand name, for instance the one club city, Newcastle brown ale, and bigger support and at the moment anyway, they can appoint any manager they please.

Fear is that someone good would come along and bid less than Ashley wants and they bugger off somewhere else, like Everton.

Everton have won titles in the past, nine league titles they've won which is more than us and the mackems, Chelsea and Spurs. However, no one really classes them as a big club in the modern game.

Their fanbase is very much on the decrease, 20 years ago, Everton had more fans on Merseyside than Liverpool, because of the fickle nature of new football fans, Liverpool seem to be garnering a lot of young fans in the area these days due to their success and big umph factor than Everton. They are dying as a club. If you look at realistically across the country, would you say Everton are in the top ten supporters in England? I certainly wouldn't. It's not like I'm stuck in the North East, when I'm working in London I see fans of every club, you come across so many toon fans in London, and I'm not just saying it, Fulham away there's as many southern accents in the toon end as geordie.

Everton have a mediocre fanbase, and it's largely centred on Merseyside which is the most deprived area in Britain. Their most expensive tickets are THIRTY FOUR QUID, they have three executive boxes, they've just come fifth in the league and last week they had only 34,000 paying people there. Now if they put prices up to our level, which I believe are extortionate, I think they'd struggle to get 25,000.

I know an Everton fan, and he agrees the prices are low because it's in a very deprived area of the country. Liverpool's match going support, 40% of them aren't from the area so they can cope overall with higher prices. I think of all of the clubs Everton would be the worst investment, you might get them for £150m less than us, but you'd have to build a new ground which would be full twice a season, and be stuck with a mediocre fanbase, and a club who the media just are not bothered about. It's true what people say about them, they're just plain old Everton. If I was an investor they'd be the last team I would buy.

Now every point of listed there for Everton, is 100% different with Newcastle, in everything apart from their four extra trophies, they are incomparable to us even at this stage, and I think anyone that's been involved with Newcastle knows we have fulfilled not even half of our potential on and off the park.

Newcastle fans aiming to hit chairman Mike Ashley in the pocket

George Caulkin

As Newcastle United continued their purge of Kevin Keegan's influence at St James' Park, removing Terry McDermott from his post as assistant manager, supporters were asked yesterday to channel their fury at the club's hierarchy by shunning official merchandise. The assessment of recent events on Tyneside from fanzine editors was withering: “gross incompetence and mismanagement”.

During another day of bloodletting, McDermott, a long-time acolyte of Keegan, and Adam Sadler, the reserveteam coach, left. Chris Hughton, previously the first-team coach, will serve as caretaker manager while a permanent appointment is sought and is expected to take charge of the team at home to Hull City on Saturday. He will be assisted by Richard Money and Alan Thompson, who have been working with the club's academy.

For many fans, the identity of Keegan's successor is of less importance - Gustavo Poyet is the bookmakers' favourite - than securing the departure of Mike Ashley, the Newcastle owner. While the sports retail luminary has consistently denied speculation that he is prepared to sell the club he bought last year, that is the widely desired outcome.

After a disappointing summer in the transfer market and Keegan's resignation last week, Ashley has been told that his continued tenure on Tyneside is intolerable. In a passionate, eloquent statement, The Mag and true faith fanzines rejected a proposed boycott of the match against Hull but called for Ashley's business interests to be targeted.

“Like many Newcastle United supporters, we have been sickened by the events of the last week and the departure of Kevin Keegan from his position as manager of our club,” they said. “We believe Kevin had little alternative but to resign, given the gross incompetence and mismanagement of Dennis Wise, executive director of football, and Derek Llambias, managing director, who, like Kevin, were appointed by Mike Ashley.

“While Kevin Keegan remained at Newcastle, the fans trusted that the club was moving forward at last. With Keegan's departure, all trust has gone. Both The Mag and true faith believe there has been a fundamental break in trust between board and the support.”

In requesting “an immediate and indefinite boycott of Newcastle United merchandise”, from replica shirts to patronage of club bars and catering outlets, as well as Ashley's Sports Direct empire, supporters hope to make a financial impact that the billionaire businessman will feel directly. The match against Hull and those that follow will also feature a release of anger.

“We advocate supporters vocally expressing their disgust against the current regime, whether they are at the match or not, which will act as a clear demonstration of the antipathy of supporters towards Ashley, Llambias and Wise,” the statement read. “There should be no abuse directed at any Newcastle United player.

“We insist that Mike Ashley does not attend away games among the travelling support. He is not a Newcastle United supporter and as far as true faith and The Mag are concerned he is not welcome among our ranks. If any effort is made by Ashley to attend future away games, we would recommend the away support to vocally remind him he is not wanted among us. We do not advocate violent disorder of any description.”

A long campaign is expected. The chances of Ashley being forced out appear mixed, but one prospective bidder for Newcastle - as revealed in The Times on Saturday - offered a glimmer of optimism last night with a denial of an earlier report that ruled out the possibility.

Gaurav Wahi, the vice-president of Reliance Communications - whose majority stakeholder, Anil Ambani, is claimed to be the world's sixth-richest person - denied describing the story as inaccurate. Wahi stated: “The quote attributed to me surprised me as I have not spoken to anybody.”

While Wahi would add nothing further, representatives of Ambani's are said to be in London to discuss the possible purchase of a Barclays Premier League club.

Alan Shearer, Slaven Bilic and Marcelino García Toral, the Real Zaragoza coach, have ruled themselves out of the running to replace Keegan.

Well, Everton would cost less than us, but they don't have a ground like us and need a new one.

Newcastle also have a massively superior brand name, for instance the one club city, Newcastle brown ale, and bigger support and at the moment anyway, they can appoint any manager they please.

Fear is that someone good would come along and bid less than Ashley wants and they bugger off somewhere else, like Everton.

Everton have won titles in the past, nine league titles they've won which is more than us and the mackems, Chelsea and Spurs. However, no one really classes them as a big club in the modern game.

Their fanbase is very much on the decrease, 20 years ago, Everton had more fans on Merseyside than Liverpool, because of the fickle nature of new football fans, Liverpool seem to be garnering a lot of young fans in the area these days due to their success and big umph factor than Everton. They are dying as a club. If you look at realistically across the country, would you say Everton are in the top ten supporters in England? I certainly wouldn't. It's not like I'm stuck in the North East, when I'm working in London I see fans of every club, you come across so many toon fans in London, and I'm not just saying it, Fulham away there's as many southern accents in the toon end as geordie.

Everton have a mediocre fanbase, and it's largely centred on Merseyside which is the most deprived area in Britain. Their most expensive tickets are THIRTY FOUR QUID, they have three executive boxes, they've just come fifth in the league and last week they had only 34,000 paying people there. Now if they put prices up to our level, which I believe are extortionate, I think they'd struggle to get 25,000.

I know an Everton fan, and he agrees the prices are low because it's in a very deprived area of the country. Liverpool's match going support, 40% of them aren't from the area so they can cope overall with higher prices. I think of all of the clubs Everton would be the worst investment, you might get them for £150m less than us, but you'd have to build a new ground which would be full twice a season, and be stuck with a mediocre fanbase, and a club who the media just are not bothered about. It's true what people say about them, they're just plain old Everton. If I was an investor they'd be the last team I would buy.

Now every point of listed there for Everton, is 100% different with Newcastle, in everything apart from their four extra trophies, they are incomparable to us even at this stage, and I think anyone that's been involved with Newcastle knows we have fulfilled not even half of our potential on and off the park.

It's much harder for teams with other large teams in a city to become a global brand. Infact Man City will be a test case.

It's much harder for teams with other large teams in a city to become a global brand. Infact Man City will be a test case.

I agree but there's something about City which makes them more attractive than Everton.

I agree but there's something about City which makes them more attractive than Everton.

Nuff said. :lol:

City aren't in Liverpool?

City aren't in Liverpool?

Just when I think it's not possible for a person to be any more irrelevant, you never fail to surprise me.

Just when I think it's not possible for a person to be any more irrelevant, you never fail to surprise me.

Fucking hell, I was agreeing with you, you ornery obtuse nonce. :lol:

That is absolute poppycock and you know it. Liverpool do have a very large world wide fanbase but the majority of match going reds are from the L postcode area. The percentages are slightly more than Everton, but still pretty much in line in line with both clubs attendances.

Why do you continue to make up things up, your lying is quite pathetic now? Out of the last 70 years Everton have only had a higher average than Liverpool 14 times. That’s 14 against 56. Yes, that's 70 years, not 20, you stupid numbnuts.

They don’t come much more hypocritical than you. One minute you tell everyone that Newcastle is supported by 99% Newcastle people, and here you are getting quite horny about having so many Southern speaking Toon fans.

A football club is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and Everton have a lot going for it in terms of a buyer coming in. They have a world wide fanbase, not nearly as big as Liverpool and Man U, but big enough. They have two sites offered by the city council for a new ground and they have a great history and tradition. A new ground would see any investor, willing to wait a few years, gaining a good return on their money. Building a new ground where there is almost guaranteed planning permission is very attractive to big money investors. I admit that being in the same city as Englands most decorated club is a bit of a drawback for investors, but not to very rich Arabs as it can be overcome, much as we did to Everton when Shanks built his dynasty.

Liverpool will cost around a billion for Dubai if their deal ever comes off and they build the new ground, that must make you feel really sick.

If you wrote your little piece as some kind of wind up, I'm afraid you've failed, it just comes across as your usual lying bollicks and blind belief that Newcastle is the biggest club in the world. Try and learn from Park Life, he's an excellent WUM because he does it with humour and intelligence.

Edited by Redshadow

Fucking hell, I was agreeing with you, you ornery obtuse nonce. :lol:

Nonce. You don't go round calling people nonces mate unless you have a death wish. Are you going to this gathering on Saturday?

That is absolute poppycock and you know it. Liverpool do have a very large world wide fanbase but the majority of match going reds are from the L postcode area. The percentages are slightly more than Everton, but still pretty much in line in line with both clubs attendances.

Why do you continue to make up things up, your lying is quite pathetic now? Out of the last 70 years Everton have only had a higher average than Liverpool 14 times. That’s 14 against 66. Yes, that's 70 years, not 20, you stupid numbnuts.

They don’t come much more hypocritical than you. One minute you tell everyone that Newcastle is supported by 99% Newcastle people, and here you are getting quite horny about having so many Southern speaking Toon fans.

A football club is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and Everton have a lot going for it in terms of a buyer coming in. They have a world wide fanbase, not nearly as big as Liverpool and Man U, but big enough. They have two sites offered by the city council for a new ground and they have a great history and tradition. A new ground would see any investor, willing to wait a few years, gaining a good return on their money. Building a new ground where there is almost guaranteed planning permission is very attractive to big money investors. I admit that being in the same city as Englands most decorated club is a bit of a drawback for investors, but not to very rich Arabs as it can be overcome, much as we did to Everton when Shanks built his dynasty.

Liverpool will cost around a billion for Dubai if their deal ever comes off and they build the new ground, that must make you feel really sick.

If you wrote your little piece as some kind of wind up, I'm afraid you've failed, it just comes across as your usual lying bollicks and blind belief that Newcastle is the biggest club in the world. Try and learn from Park Life, he's an excellent WUM because he does it with humour and intelligence.

I knew you'd reply. You are a sad bastard, in every sense I'm not even going to read it. Leicester University go and do some research, that;s alll I'll say.

Edited by Stevie

Fucking hell, I was agreeing with you, you ornery obtuse nonce. :woosh:

Nonce. You don't go round calling people nonces mate unless you have a death wish. Are you going to this gathering on Saturday?

Fucking Hell, you of all people should not be offended by anything written or read on an internet message board. :lol:

and Yes I am.

Why do you continue to make up things up, your lying is quite pathetic now? Out of the last 70 years Everton have only had a higher average than Liverpool 14 times. That’s 14 against 66. Yes, that's 70 years, not 20, you stupid numbnuts.

:lol:

:lol:

Oops :woosh:

It would be so typical if the press, having been pretty spot on (it would seem) about the ongoings inside SJP over the past few months turned out to be 'wide of the mark' about ultra-rich billionaires wanting to take us over and make us the next Chelsea whilst re-installing KK etc.

It would be so typical if the press, having been pretty spot on (it would seem) about the ongoings inside SJP over the past few months turned out to be 'wide of the mark' about ultra-rich billionaires wanting to take us over and make us the next Chelsea whilst re-installing KK etc.

I could take typical.

Indian group dismiss United reports

Sep 9 2008 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

INDIAN billionaire Anil Ambani has not ruled out the possibility of buying Newcastle United after another confusing day of rumours from the Asian sub-continent.

The Journal contacted Gaurav Wahi, the vice-president of Reliance Communications, the main arm of the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, and he refused to deny reports the world’s sixth richest man was looking to takeover at St James’s Park.

Instead, of ending the speculation linking Ambani with an interest in Newcastle, Wahi appeared to fuel it by denying he had ever said his boss was not looking to buy the club.

Reports in India had quoted Wahi as saying the group had no intention of taking control of Newcastle, but his vice-president was adamant that was inaccurate. He said: “I don’t know who has put it in my name, but I have not given a quote to anyone. The quote attributed to me surprises me as I have not spoken to anyone about this.”

Whether that means Ambani will firm up his tentative interest this week remains to be seen, although sources claiming to act for the businessman also told The Journal last night that his representatives are due to meet Ashley in London this week.

With Newcastle’s owner facing a rebellion on Tyneside following the shock resignation of manager Kevin Keegan which is shaking the football club to its core, the Magpies do look ripe for a takeover.

Given his sudden unpopularity among United fans following Keegan’s revelation last week that he was forced to quit as he was unable to manage the team

because of boardroom interference in transfers, most fans are hoping Ashley will sell as quickly as possible.

However, The Journal revealed on Saturday this is unlikely to be the case with the regime he appointed already indicating privately they intend to ride out the storm.

Although supporters’ groups are attempting to co-ordinate the opposition to Ashley and his cohorts, the board feel it will die down once a new manager has been appointed.

Their stubborn stance either illustrates their bravery or their ignorance. There has rarely been so much open hostility directed at a Newcastle board, but as both Tony Jimenez and Dennis Wise have not been in the city since the row with Keegan began, they are probably not fully aware of its intensity.

That is likely to change on Saturday when fans will get the first real opportunity to vent their anger in the home game against Hull City.

Meanwhile, the fall-out from Keegan’s dramatic exit continued yesterday with the news his assistant Terry McDermott and reserve-team manager Adam Sadler have also left the club.

McDermott earned the nickname “Black Box” behind the scenes at St James’s Park as a result of his ability to survive management crashes at the club, but he appears to have walked of his own accord in protest at the treatment of his friend.

With McDermott and Sadler out of the way, first team coach Chris Hughton has been put in temporary charge of team affairs ahead of the visit of newly-promoted Hull.

The Journal understands that, while the search for a new manager is well under way, the Magpies hierarchy does not expect to make an appointment until next week at the earliest.

Academy director Richard Money and youth team coach Alan Thompson are also expected to be in the dug-out on Saturday. They and Hughton were recommended and appointed by Wise.

Meanwhile, Deportivo La Coruña coach Miguel Angel Lotina has revealed there has been contact from someone claiming to be involved with the Magpies about the vacant manager’s post – but says he has no intention of leaving Depor.

He said: “I don’t give it too much importance. I had a call, I don’t know if it was from someone very close to the club (Newcastle) or not because there are so many businessmen that you never know, to see if I would be interested and I told them no because I have a contract and I’m not thinking of any other team.

“I’m happy at Depor and my intention is to continue here until June 30,” added Lotina, who joined the Galician outfit last summer and led them to a ninth-place finish in La Liga. Newcastle signed two of Depor’s players this summer in £10.3m Fabricio Coloccini, who became the Magpies’ most expensive defender, and striker Xisco.

See, the bastards are just taking the piss out of the fans and there's fans out there that will take it.