Brazlian Soccer School Founder To Head Up Toon Youth Development

wykikitoon

From what I said here Simon Clifford who set up the Brazilian Soccer Schools has been approached by NUFC to head up youth development. Great bloke and is shit hot with kids.

Take from Garforth Town Webby here

ICFDS founder linked with Newcastle role

Thursday, 02 October 2008

Source: Daily Mail

By Chris Wheeler

The South African consortium bidding to take control of Newcastle United believe they are emerging as the likely successors to Mike Ashley.

Seven groups are in the running to buy out the Sports Direct billionaire, but the 'Bok Consortium' are confident they have the clout and the plan to head off rival interest from Nigeria, China and America.

Sportsmail can reveal the group are headed by Jonathan Cleland - a South African-raised Scot whose career has been based around developing major brands - with the backing of billionaires Johan Rupert, Brian Gilbertson, Vivian Imerman and Brian Joffe

Cleland said: 'Now is the time to reveal who we are out of respect for the supporters. The people of Newcastle deserve better. We are not in any way criticising Mike Ashley's running of Newcastle United. 'However, quite simply we have in our consortium the world class skills and talents to achieve the footballing and commercial success required and deserved.'

Each member of the consortium has a history of reviving troubled businesses. Rupert is the man behind Swiss-owned luxury goods company Richemont, and Imerman transformed Whyte and Mackay.

Any bid for control is not expected to reach its conclusion until the end of the month. Key to Cleland's vision of transforming the club will be the appointment at youth level of Simon Clifford, whose Brazilian Soccer Schools have more than two million members.

'We will invest in youth to build a club,' said Cleland. 'Simon Clifford is an integral part of our consortium. Players like Micah Richards have come through his system.'

Ashley is expected to seek around £300million after paying £133m to buy the club last summer and spending about £100m clearing unforeseen debts.

What sort of track record has he got?

I know Redknapp wasn't impressed.

Never heard of the bloke but that's a plus point for starters.

Not really.

Harry Redknapp was at West Ham when they had one of the best academy's in the country so I think he knows a thing or two about youth set ups and if he wasn't impressed with this Clifford bloke then I don't see it as a plus.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2005/no...ory.southampton

Not really.

Harry Redknapp was at West Ham when they had one of the best academy's in the country so I think he knows a thing or two about youth set ups and if he wasn't impressed with this Clifford bloke then I don't see it as a plus.

Redknapp's a cockend and I should think he had very little to do with the youth setup at West Ham tbh.

Not really.

Redknapp's a cockend and I should think he had very little to do with the youth setup at West Ham tbh.

So you don't think he had any idea how the youth set up worked while he was manager there? :lol:

Strange that he would watch the Clifford train the young lads when at Southampton even though he was only there for less than a year yet have little to do with the West Ham set up in 7 years, apart from bringing the likes of Ferdinand, Lampard and Cole up through into the first team.

Not really.

Baggio's a cockend and I should think he had very little to do with football, full stop.

Seriously Baggio are Mike Ashley's lips wrapped around you big cock because mate, you need to remove them and re-adjust your tie!

Not really.

So you don't think he had any idea how the youth set up worked while he was manager there? :lol:

Strange that he would watch the Clifford train the young lads when at Southampton even though he was only there for less than a year yet have little to do with the West Ham set up in 7 years, apart from bringing the likes of Ferdinand, Lampard and Cole up through into the first team.

Out of interest: How is the youth setup at Pompey? There isn't a player on the current squad that has come through the ranks iirc, and he has had plenty of time to set it up the way he would like (even with his stint at Southampton)...

I've come to conclusion that all this "investing in the academy" is bollocks - by all means appoint a good coach but it's all down to luck - is there any team who've consistently produced top level players over a reasonable period?

Man U had one fantastic batch (as West Ham possibly did) but virtually nothing since and have started to sign foreigners just like Arsenal and the rest.

I've come to conclusion that all this "investing in the academy" is bollocks - by all means appoint a good coach but it's all down to luck - is there any team who've consistently produced top level players over a reasonable period?

Man U had one fantastic batch (as West Ham possibly did) but virtually nothing since and have started to sign foreigners just like Arsenal and the rest.

I've come to the conclusion that all this shite Baggio comes out with is bollocks tbh :lol:

I've come to the conclusion that all this shite Baggio comes out with is bollocks tbh :lol:

:)

I think there there is a degree of luck to it, but things such as picking up on other teams' castoffs, bringing players through, encouraging the right attitude etc. is more judgement than luck - just look at Crewe. Still easier to harvest the best 16-year-olds like Arsenal though.

Not really.

Tbf Redknapp wouldn't have supported anything to do with Woodward so I wouldn't put too much faith in his assessment.