US Election 2008

Douggy B

I think the only way he would use "Muslim" appeal to Muslim voters would be in the way my Mam would still have described me as a Catholic even though she knew that I didn't believe and from what age - an implicit "he's one of us" even if he isn't really.

I too was moved by his speech but then I remember being moved by Blair's speech in 97 - unfortunately being in the same camp as SpongeBob I've been disappointed by what has happened since from a left wing perspective - I hope Obama can do a bit more.

He's got an awful lot in common with Blair IMO. Both very clever operators that will only show a perfectly manicured public persona and will (and do) have very strong spin teams.

Which is self evidently an absolute necessity in modern politics - I would also say they both are attempting to provide a progessive liberal government for their country, rather than purely lusting after power for its own sake

Er... you're saying Blair or Brown didn't lust after power? :scratchchin: Where have you been exactly for the last 12 years?

Also "progressive liberal"? By ever moving the Goverments into peoples lives, curtailing all manner of freedoms and making "anti-terror" law a Carte blanche for everything from seizing Iceland assets to making spying on your bins or making sure your kids live in the right address.

Aye, "liberal". :woosh:

Progressively neo-fascist with good camouflage and spin machines maybe..... or I suppose liberal in the context that everyone is equally oppressed. :D

No I didnt say Blair or Brown didnt lust after power, I said they didnt purely lust after power. I think they had a desire to acheive power because they wanted a better fairer form of government.

As for progressive liberal government - I agree its an easy phrase to mock and the anti terror stuff I have big problems with. By progressive I was meaning mainly a redistributive tax and social policy - which to some extent was acheived.

You seem to beleive a politician by definition is out for power and nothing else. I disagree

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only way he would use "Muslim" appeal to Muslim voters would be in the way my Mam would still have described me as a Catholic even though she knew that I didn't believe and from what age - an implicit "he's one of us" even if he isn't really.

I too was moved by his speech but then I remember being moved by Blair's speech in 97 - unfortunately being in the same camp as SpongeBob I've been disappointed by what has happened since from a left wing perspective - I hope Obama can do a bit more.

He's got an awful lot in common with Blair IMO. Both very clever operators that will only show a perfectly manicured public persona and will (and do) have very strong spin teams.

Which is self evidently an absolute necessity in modern politics - I would also say they both are attempting to provide a progessive liberal government for their country, rather than purely lusting after power for its own sake

Er... you're saying Blair or Brown didn't lust after power? :D Where have you been exactly for the last 12 years?

Also "progressive liberal"? By ever moving the Goverments into peoples lives, curtailing all manner of freedoms and making "anti-terror" law a Carte blanche for everything from seizing Iceland assets to making spying on your bins or making sure your kids live in the right address.

Aye, "liberal". :D

Progressively neo-fascist with good camouflage and spin machines maybe..... or I suppose liberal in the context that everyone is equally oppressed. :D

No I didnt say Blair or Brown didnt lust after power, I said they didnt purely lust after power. I think they had a desire to acheive power because they wanted a better fairer form of government.

Better and fairer for them. Much like Miliband waiting in the wings with a sharpened knife just in case. :woosh:

As for progressive liberal government - I agree its an easy phrase to mock and the anti terror stuff I have big problems with. By progressive I was meaning mainly a redistributive tax and social policy - which to some extent was acheived.

Aye, the removal of the lowest tax band worked so very well (and they've still ran away from hitting the super rich and big companies as much as they should), not to mention car tax raises have helped out those less well off no end.

But you can't just ignore the "anti-terror" stuff it is quite literally everywhere..... actually it'll be interesting with Obama if he reduces and stops a lot of the Homeland stuff, I suspect he won't.

You seem to beleive a politician by definition is out for power and nothing else. I disagree

Well you're wrong. :scratchchin:

Fop, i've never met anyone as full of shit as you :D Absolutely class.

Unification of diverse ethicities and demographics has been the strategy from the outset.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/0...nalysis-results

I'm not saying his aim (successfully achieved) wasn't to do that, clearly it was. It was his ticket to power why would he not play to that?

I'm saying it wasn't achieved in a "colourless" brotherhood of man way, quite the opposite in fact, rather than being all things to all people, he was/is/maybe will be whatever he needed to be to specific groups of people.

Like I said just wait and see.

Doesnt make sense, to do the former you have to be the latter.

No you don't, and frankly you shouldn't need to or want to if you actually believed in the prior. But he's a politician and ends justify the means, so what are you going to do? :woosh:

You have to be the latter otherwise you dont win the election. I think you agree with that though.

Yes, probably (unless you are the second coming), but that makes you a consummate politician, not crusader or anything like it. A politician will sell (or use) their Granny to get the power they want, but that doesn't make it right or them anything else other than a clever and ruthless politician.

Some politicians can have a modicum of principle. Personally I like Tony Benn.

I saw Tony Benn speak a couple of times in the eighties. He was magnificent, cogent persuasive inspiring. In hindsight I think he convinced me black was white to a large extent - but I still view the old nutter with a lot of affection

Fop, i've never met anyone as full of shit as you :D Absolutely class.

Unification of diverse ethicities and demographics has been the strategy from the outset.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/0...nalysis-results

I'm not saying his aim (successfully achieved) wasn't to do that, clearly it was. It was his ticket to power why would he not play to that?

I'm saying it wasn't achieved in a "colourless" brotherhood of man way, quite the opposite in fact, rather than being all things to all people, he was/is/maybe will be whatever he needed to be to specific groups of people.

Like I said just wait and see.

Doesnt make sense, to do the former you have to be the latter.

No you don't, and frankly you shouldn't need to or want to if you actually believed in the prior. But he's a politician and ends justify the means, so what are you going to do? :woosh:

You have to be the latter otherwise you dont win the election. I think you agree with that though.

Yes, probably (unless you are the second coming), but that makes you a consummate politician, not crusader or anything like it. A politician will sell (or use) their Granny to get the power they want, but that doesn't make it right or them anything else other than a clever and ruthless politician.

Some politicians can have a modicum of principle. Personally I like Tony Benn.

I saw Tony Benn speak a couple of times in the eighties. He was magnificent, cogent persuasive inspiring. In hindsight I think he convinced me black was white to a large extent - but I still view the old nutter with a lot of affection

Yup. :scratchchin:

Yes, I mean the Muslim populations. Where are you quoting those figures from? I'm not arguing it is difficult to estimate. I'm merely asking where you are quoting those figures from as I suspect you made them up. Wikipedia would tend to back that up. It may not be the most definitive of sites on this matter but at least the figures they give are referenced, unlike yours. You made a big deal out of the numbers btw. I'm only asking where they came from. You still haven't answered.

There's a load of estimates, ranging from that to much, much higher (the wiki one seems to be a very specific one based on pretty hardcore practising muslims - which clearly is about as representative as the non-alcohol drinkers don't live as long statistical analysis).

Yes there are vague and at times contradictory, but the weight of evidence (as well as just basic immigration maths) comes down on at least 8m and possibly up to double that.

Don't you think most 'African-Americans' are of mixed race anyway? It hardly means they don't share common experiences does it? It doesn't mean they are less likely to experience racism if they have one white grandparent etc. On top of which you haven't demonstrated how Obama has manipulated how he is perceived. You've just kept repeating the notion he has.

Out of interest (and don't look it up) just how "white" or "black" do you think he is?

I know he is of mixed race because his Dad was from Africa and his Grandmother (who just died) was white. I thought it was obvious he was of mixed race.

I note you still avoided supplying a source for your figures which only reinforces my view you made them up.

Yes, I mean the Muslim populations. Where are you quoting those figures from? I'm not arguing it is difficult to estimate. I'm merely asking where you are quoting those figures from as I suspect you made them up. Wikipedia would tend to back that up. It may not be the most definitive of sites on this matter but at least the figures they give are referenced, unlike yours. You made a big deal out of the numbers btw. I'm only asking where they came from. You still haven't answered.

There's a load of estimates, ranging from that to much, much higher (the wiki one seems to be a very specific one based on pretty hardcore practising muslims - which clearly is about as representative as the non-alcohol drinkers don't live as long statistical analysis).

Yes there are vague and at times contradictory, but the weight of evidence (as well as just basic immigration maths) comes down on at least 8m and possibly up to double that.

Don't you think most 'African-Americans' are of mixed race anyway? It hardly means they don't share common experiences does it? It doesn't mean they are less likely to experience racism if they have one white grandparent etc. On top of which you haven't demonstrated how Obama has manipulated how he is perceived. You've just kept repeating the notion he has.

Out of interest (and don't look it up) just how "white" or "black" do you think he is?

I know he is of mixed race because his Dad was from Africa and his Grandmother (who just died) was white. I thought it was obvious he was of mixed race.

I note you still avoided supplying a source for your figures which only reinforces my view you made them up.

Like I said "how much"?

The ethnicity of Obama is significant because of the recent history of the country he is now president-elect of, don't you think?

It actually is, but IMO he's polarised into what people want (and he plays to that), rather than what he is (or should be).

I actually think he's doing more to sustain racism (perhaps not in the "traditionally" Western perceived way) than he is to destroy it.

Could you actually put that into plain English please?

The ethnicity of Obama is significant because of the recent history of the country he is now president-elect of, don't you think?

It actually is, but IMO he's polarised into what people want (and he plays to that), rather than what he is (or should be).

I actually think he's doing more to sustain racism (perhaps not in the "traditionally" Western perceived way) than he is to destroy it.

That would be racist. :D

Like I said "how much"?

I'd assumed half and half (-ish). Not sure in all honesty. Your point? (Being hopeful, obviously given you couldn't supply the source for your made-up stats).

Thought not.

Better and fairer for them. Much like Miliband waiting in the wings with a sharpened knife just in case. :D

I dont really know what that means

Aye, the removal of the lowest tax band worked so very well (and they've still ran away from hitting the super rich and big companies as much as they should), not to mention car tax raises have helped out those less well off no end.

They did bring in the minimum wage, and have given tax cuts and credits to the worse off - a system whch could have undoubtably been better but we now have a more progressive and more redistributive system than they inheritted

But you can't just ignore the "anti-terror" stuff it is quite literally everywhere..... actually it'll be interesting with Obama if he reduces and stops a lot of the Homeland stuff, I suspect he won't.

I am not ignoring the anti terror stuff -whilst not quite as all ecompassing as you make out - I do think we need to as vigilant about our freedoms as a perceived terrorist apocolypse. At least the fundamentalism has been calmed down somewhat in America now - I hope Obama is more interested in peace than victory

I am more concerned with Obama's protectionist economic policies than anything else

Well you're wrong. :woosh:

Its long been a tactic of the powerful and rich to promote a cynical outlook, much easier to keep hold of the strings if everybody beleives change is impossible. People like yourself to maitain the status quo, spewing the same old crap and thinking your clever doing it

Aye a viewpint of total cynisism (sp??) is nice and easy. The self rightous smugness it breeds not so attractive.

Like I said "how much"?

I'd assumed half and half (-ish). Not sure in all honesty. Your point? (Being hopeful, obviously given you couldn't supply the source for your made-up stats).

Like I said what I stated is quite within the weight of evidence, but you're right I've not personally checked how many muslims currently live in the USA. :D

However plenty of others have. :scratchchin:

Thought not.

I can't put it any plainer than that, it's not my fault if you no comprende, :woosh: you should have done an English degree or something. :D

Would love to see Fop try and get away with putting the question to Obama on Newsnight:

"How black are you?"

"So can you give a percentage?"

"Thought not!"

*Turns to camera wearing smug grin. Cut to producer, mortified*

Obama can't destroy racism, he's not trying to either.

The fact that he was even able to run and has succeeded shows that race is now a small enough issue that the fight is already won. Oba has bigger fish to fry now, whatever kind of percentile you insist should be applied to his 'brother' credentials.

Like I said "how much"?

Like I said what I stated is quite within the weight of evidence, but you're right I've not personally checked how many muslims currently live in the USA. :D

However plenty of others have. :scratchchin:

Thought not.

I can't put it any plainer than that, it's not my fault if you no comprende, :woosh: you should have done an English degree or something. :D

Still no source for those figures then? Thought not.

I ask you to provide an explanation for the other bit in plain English because I genuinely don't know what you meant by it. It's pretty easy and lazy to just say I'm stupid in response to that but it doesn't answer the question or fool anyone into thinking you know what you're on about.

Edited by alex

Like I said "how much"?

However plenty of others have. :woosh:

Must be fellow freemasons as you are so coy to actually name them...

So assuming for a minute that Obama has finally acheived his goal of acheiving power, using his Afro American/White/Christian /Muslim perceived appearance and backround in a totally cynical fashion. Appearing as a race warrior and pioneer to those who seek one, an Uncle Tom to those who dont want to be threatened, an intellectual crusader to those searching for a humanist hero (I guess this is your point even though you same incapable of expressing it)

wtf does

actually mean

Better and fairer for them. Much like Miliband waiting in the wings with a sharpened knife just in case. :woosh:

I dont really know what that means

It means that Miliband (like Brown, Blair, or any of the other that have been in similar positions) will quite happily do most anything to get to the power, even if it's to the general detriment.

They did bring in the minimum wage, and have given tax cuts and credits to the worse off - a system whch could have undoubtably been better but we now have a more progressive and more redistributive system than they inheritted

Aye, but at best they've just treaded water over all.

I am not ignoring the anti terror stuff -whilst not quite as all ecompassing as you make out - I do think we need to as vigilant about our freedoms as a perceived terrorist apocolypse. At least the fundamentalism has been calmed down somewhat in America now - I hope Obama is more interested in peace than victory

I am more concerned with Obama's protectionist economic policies than anything else

If anything it is actually MORE encompassing than I've said, it's hard to find an area of Law that anti-terror legislation hasn't wheedled it's tentacles into.

Obama will do whatever he thinks will get him re-relected.

Well you're wrong. :scratchchin:

Its long been a tactic of the powerful and rich to promote a cynical outlook, much easier to keep hold of the strings if everybody beleives change is impossible. People like yourself to maitain the status quo, spewing the same old crap and thinking your clever doing it

Aye a viewpint of total cynisism (sp??) is nice and easy. The self rightous smugness it breeds not so attractive.

:D Just because I don't agree Obama isn't the second coming doesn't mean I'm "the establishment", it just means I actually have some perspective.

You quickly fell into stereotypes and bigotry though. :D

My personal highlights from the speech.

It's the answer that led those who have been told for so long by so many to be cynical, and fearful, and doubtful of what we can achieve to put their hands on the arc of history and bend it once more toward the hope of a better day.

It was built by working men and women who dug into what little savings they had to give five dollars and ten dollars and twenty dollars to this cause. It grew strength from the young people who rejected the myth of their generation's apathy; who left their homes and their families for jobs that offered little pay and less sleep; from the not-so-young people who braved the bitter cold and scorching heat to knock on the doors of perfect strangers; from the millions of Americans who volunteered, and organized, and proved that more than two centuries later, a government of the people, by the people and for the people has not perished from this Earth. This is your victory.

He nailed it.

Would love to see Fop try and get away with putting the question to Obama on Newsnight:

"How black are you?"

"Thought not!"

I'd never ask him that question. In fact I don't even think there should be a question.

But yet again you make my point for me. :D

"How black are you?"

"Thought not!"

I'd never ask him that question. In fact I don't even think there should be a question.

But yet again you make my point for me. :D

Why did you ask me that question about Obama then (more or less)? You didn't tell what your point was when I answered it either.

My personal highlights from the speech.

It's the answer that led those who have been told for so long by so many to be cynical, and fearful, and doubtful of what we can achieve to put their hands on the arc of history and bend it once more toward the hope of a better day.

It was built by working men and women who dug into what little savings they had to give five dollars and ten dollars and twenty dollars to this cause. It grew strength from the young people who rejected the myth of their generation's apathy; who left their homes and their families for jobs that offered little pay and less sleep; from the not-so-young people who braved the bitter cold and scorching heat to knock on the doors of perfect strangers; from the millions of Americans who volunteered, and organized, and proved that more than two centuries later, a government of the people, by the people and for the people has not perished from this Earth. This is your victory.

He nailed it.

Fop even gets a namecheck. Can't say fairer than that tbh.