US Election 2008

Douggy B

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK then! :D

The fact is people noticed he was black and voted him in regardless, where this would just never have happened in the past.

As to the rest you're basically just criticising him for being a polititican and playing the game. I don't think he's going to be a superman, I think he's just a politician, but rightly or wrongly (wwhich is a completely different debate) he's regarded as a black politician and now a black president. That is his real victory and that is why it represents history making.

Clearly you've missed the point of this entire thread. Not that I'm especially surprised. :D

You're not the US electorate so don't presume that you are tbh.

Again what has that to do with anything in this thread?

you are just trying to argue (as you do), where as I'm trying to put across a point. But it's all fun anyway. :D

Honestly Fop. I'm perfectly willing to debate any points on here. You aren't even kidding yourself man. You've ducked virtually every question that's been asked about the ambiguous statements you've made by saying 'I've already answered that' when you patently haven't. I don't think I've ducked a single question you've asked me however. You know this is true and so does everyone else on here.

But that's the difference here, you are just trying to argue (as you do), where as I'm trying to put across a point.

Ahh, it's time for the ill-founded relationship spat tactics. "I'm not arguing, I'm having a discussion. I'm perfectly calm, thank you. There's no need to snap at me. No, you calm down." :D

Obama missed an opportunity for a big step in that direction

Obama missed an opportunity? He turned the most socially conservative democracy on the planet from voting republican (again) by the skin of his white teeth and he missed an opportunity?

Nonsense, he had to fight tooth (white) and nail (pink) just to get his ass (black) in the door.

How man Foppy, I think you might as well hoist yerself on your shoulders and carry yourself round the room because you will never be able to top that line. Absolutely magnificent.

Genius

This reminds me of a teacher at school who gave us a talk on race in assembly. She told the story (probably made up) of her young daughter, who was pointing out a friend to her at the swimming pool. She went through everything "The one with black hair", "the one with long hair", "the short one", "she's limping a bit". Finally the teacher realised she meant the black lass. And she held this up as some sort of paragon, her daughter's color blindness was supposed to be something she could be proud of.

Utter bollocks, the kid was black, it's her most distinguishing feature, it's the first that would sensibly be used to identify her. The bint of a teacher had taught her kid that race was tabboo, something shameful and not to be mentioned, unlike hair colour or length, or height, or disability.

I suppose that was the olden days, but it amazed me even as a kid myself.

Racist. :D

But what I find most interesting in this thread is the way you lot perceive people, at what point they become "black", it's really quite intriguing.

Maybe we should try to find out about the East Asian perception here too. :D:D

This reminds me of a teacher at school who gave us a talk on race in assembly. She told the story (probably made up) of her young daughter, who was pointing out a friend to her at the swimming pool. She went through everything "The one with black hair", "the one with long hair", "the short one", "she's limping a bit". Finally the teacher realised she meant the black lass. And she held this up as some sort of paragon, her daughter's color blindness was supposed to be something she could be proud of.

Utter bollocks, the kid was black, it's her most distinguishing feature, it's the first that would sensibly be used to identify her. The bint of a teacher had taught her kid that race was tabboo, something shameful and not to be mentioned, unlike hair colour or length, or height, or disability.

:D Lily-livered liberalism at its most cringeworthy.

But what I find most interesting in this thread is the way you lot perceive people, at what point they become "black", it's really quite intriguing.

what I find most interesting in this thread is the way you lot perceive people, at what point they become "wum", it's really quite intriguing

At what height does somebody become tall?

Make that linear assembly of 10 words have some basic significance by explaining what your view is then.

Fop utterly trounced once again tbh.

That's exactly how he'd expect you to perceive things. Or something.

He actually already said you would, several pages ago. You won't be able to find it though.

Make that linear assembly of 10 words have some basic significance by explaining what your view is then.

And don't say 'I already have'.

Obama missed an opportunity? He turned the most socially conservative democracy on the planet from voting republican (again) by the skin of his white teeth and he missed an opportunity?

Nonsense, he had to fight tooth (white) and nail (pink) just to get his ass (black) in the door.

Hilary would have likely won. Anyone but Bush would have likely won.

His biggest fight of the Presidential campaign was versus Hilary, after than he just didn't have to make any massive mistakes.

But all that's fairly irrelevant to missing his opportunity.

Wll you've learnt nothing from the analysis then, most political commentators are putting the victory down to the huge investiments spent in tactical county battles in the key states. The sound-biters are talking credit-crunch/Palin. 48% of the country still voted Republican after the almighty mess they created and taking the hit for the financial collapse. 48%!

Obama had a huge task and if he had tried to appear anythign other than a centrist american politician he could have lost the election. This wasnt the same for Clinton whose political equity and ground-level constituency are completely different to Obama's.

What did this opportunity look like? What were the practical steps he could have taken to realise this?

:D

you are just trying to argue (as you do), where as I'm trying to put across a point. But it's all fun anyway. :D

Honestly Fop. I'm perfectly willing to debate any points on here. You aren't even kidding yourself man. You've ducked virtually every question that's been asked about the ambiguous statements you've made by saying 'I've already answered that' when you patently haven't. I don't think I've ducked a single question you've asked me however. You know this is true and so does everyone else on here.

I've answered everything, as I always do, you just don't like the answers (as usual). :D

But that's the difference here, you are just trying to argue (as you do), where as I'm trying to put across a point.

Ahh, it's time for the ill-founded relationship spat tactics. "I'm not arguing, I'm having a discussion. I'm perfectly calm, thank you. There's no need to snap at me. No, you calm down." :D

I think it's fun, I just not pretending I don't is all. :)

How man Foppy, I think you might as well hoist yerself on your shoulders and carry yourself round the room because you will never be able to top that line. Absolutely magnificent.

Genius

Again he had to fight hard to beat Hilary which was his biggest hurdle in his way to the Presidency. After he beat her the smart money was always on him. So what do you mean?

Where? :panic: You do seem to enjoy trying to live vicariously though. :D

(and I note this thread has now devolved fully into attack the poster and not the argument :D)

what I find most interesting in this thread is the way you lot perceive people, at what point they become "wum", it's really quite intriguing

Indeed. :D

At what height does somebody become tall?

That is the question. :D

"You lot"? Racist.

It's always the same ones, so prejudiced perhaps. :D

You know it's true. :)

You've proven that 10 word would be beyond your limited attention span. :panic:

He actually already said you would, several pages ago. You won't be able to find it though.

If only they looked. :D

Too late I already did pages ago. :D

Wll you've learnt nothing from the analysis then, most political commentators are putting the victory down to the huge investiments spent in tactical county battles in the key states. The sound-biters are talking credit-crunch/Palin. 48% of the country still voted Republican after the almighty mess they created and taking the hit for the financial collapse. 48%!

Obama had a huge task and if he had tried to appear anythign other than a centrist american politician he could have lost the election. This wasnt the same for Clinton whose political equity and ground-level constituency are completely different to Obama's.

What did this opportunity look like? What were the practical steps he could have taken to realise this?

As you know money makes the world go round, $600m to $300 was never going to be a fair fight. :D

He just had to not lose after Hilary.

Even with your clearly desperate need to argue with me, your arguing yourself into a ridiculous position now. :D

Obama's larger campaign budget was obviously a factor in his winning too. I doubt anyone could deny that. I don't think anyone is denying that though.