If you were manager, what would you have done?

sammynb

After watching that poor excuse for a game on Saturday it confirmed what many of us have known for a long while, with Souness running the team and Ameobi in the team we will never win anything.

The decision to replace Bowyer with Ameobi was mindless. The fact Ameobi is still chosen for the bench is a joke. With Bowyer on the right we have no natural width but watching him on Saturday he covered well, moving wide when necessary. The choice of Ameobi to replace him meant we had no-one on the right with the midfield going from 4 to 3. This then left the team with no hope of controlling the centre of the park which meant no service for our forwards or when by chance a ball did fall for Owen or Shearer, Ameobi was in the way.

So this got me thinking, what would you have done if you were manager on Saturday?

Using what we had available on the bench, I would of brought Ramage on as RB and moved Carr to RM, that way giving us a natural right flank player, who also knows how to defend.

What would you have done?

Or is Souness god and I'm mistaken?

I would have played 3 at the back.

Kept Parker in front of them.

Boyer and N'Zogbia given the license to attack with Emre playing centrally between Parker and the front 2

---------------------------Given

-------Taylor-------------Elliott------------Carr

---------------------------Parkar

------Boyer---------------Emre--------------------N'Zognia

----------------------------Sherar

--------------Owen----------------------Ameobi

-

I dont understand how Boumsong even makes the French side, and to accommodate him as CB, Gallas has to play LB. Gallas having to play out of position for Boumsong!?!? Thats ridiculous. I think Souness needs to sit him out for a few games and have him man mark Sherar in training. Once Sherar teaches him a lesson or two he might get upto mark.

I agree with you about Ameobi, I dont think he should be in the first 11 or even in the reserves, IMO he just isnt good enough to play football and would get lucky to play for a 2nd or 3rd division side. He has no natural footballing instincts and cannot even run with the ball - forget score.

I dont understand what Souness is upto, perhaps he was the wrong pick. Freddy Shepp has put in a lot of money and its sad to see the team lose. Many might say that he doesnt have his first 11, but using Luque and Solanos absence as an excuse for a loss is not the done thing.

He better turn things around otherwise I can see the sack coming soon.

I would have played 3 at the back.

Kept Parker in front of them.

Boyer and N'Zogbia given the license to attack with Emre playing centrally between Parker and the front 2

---------------------------Given

-------Taylor-------------Elliott------------Carr

---------------------------Parkar

------Boyer---------------Emre--------------------N'Zognia

----------------------------Sherar

--------------Owen----------------------Ameobi

-

I dont understand how Boumsong even makes the French side, and to accommodate him as CB, Gallas has to play LB. Gallas having to play out of position for Boumsong!?!? Thats ridiculous. I think Souness needs to sit him out for a few games and have him man mark Sherar in training. Once Sherar teaches him a lesson or two he might get upto mark.

I agree with you about Ameobi, I dont think he should be in the first 11 or even in the reserves, IMO he just isnt good enough to play football and would get lucky to play for a 2nd or 3rd division side. He has no natural footballing instincts and cannot even run with the ball - forget score.

I dont understand what Souness is upto, perhaps he was the wrong pick. Freddy Shepp has put in a lot of money and its sad to see the team lose. Many might say that he doesnt have his first 11, but using Luque and Solanos absence as an excuse for a loss is not the done thing.

He better turn things around otherwise I can see the sack coming soon.

46541[/snapback]

Thanks Yogic you are right but missed the point of the question as it was relative to Saturday's game. At about the 30 minute mark Bowyer had to go off injured and the master tactician decided Ameobi was the right player to replace him with??? :yes

Edited by sammynb

After watching that poor excuse for a game on Saturday it confirmed what many of us have known for a long while, with Souness running the team and Ameobi in the team we will never win anything.

The decision to replace Bowyer with Ameobi was mindless. The fact Ameobi is still chosen for the bench is a joke. With Bowyer on the right we have no natural width but watching him on Saturday he covered well, moving wide when necessary. The choice of Ameobi to replace him meant we had no-one on the right with the midfield going from 4 to 3. This then left the team with no hope of controlling the centre of the park which meant no service for our forwards or when by chance a ball did fall for Owen or Shearer, Ameobi was in the way.

So this got me thinking, what would you have done if you were manager on Saturday?

Using what we had available on the bench, I would of brought Ramage on as RB and moved Carr to RM, that way giving us a natural right flank player, who also knows how to defend.

What would you have done?

Or is Souness god and I'm mistaken?

46537[/snapback]

fairly obvious to most I would say mate

Carr for right midfield? Probably the right choice, but when Souness was forced to make that decision a few weeks ago because of injury he was absolutely slated for it, I didn't hear one voice of support for it. I don't like Souness either but I think the irrationality loses credibility.

Yogic - you don't know what you're talking about. Boumsong is out of sorts but you're dropping him for Elliott in the centre - joke. I also hate to think what would have been made of Boumsong if he'd been responsible for the Wigan goal. That was woeful defending.

Ok, I didnt know he was injured as I caught the game a tad late.

I dont know how good Elliott is, but ATM anyone would be better than Boumsong. Id say he has been responsible for a good 5 or 6 goals getting in this season. He is clearly not anywhere near good and I cannot understand how he even makes the French side.

Where is Bramble? IF Souness stays, or even if he doesnt, I think you will see a defender or two bought in the Summer. That along with a striker and an OMF and you should be equipped for a top 6 - if you arent already.

Carr for right midfield?  Probably the right choice, but when Souness was forced to make that decision a few weeks ago because of injury he was absolutely slated for it, I didn't hear one voice of support for it.  I don't like Souness either but I think the irrationality loses credibility.

46550[/snapback]

He wasn't forced, he chose it, but i agree that people can't knock him then and then say they'd do it themselves, which is why i wouldn't have done that.

Firstly i'd have probably played Parker and Bowyer central as they are the tenacious players and Bowyer is so much better in the middle where he can make his runs past the attackers and get into the box. I'd have played Clark on the right, its not where he belongs but he's an intelligent, neat and tidy footballer who would have done a job there.

Should Bowyer have got injured then i'd have brought a midfielder of the bench for a midfielder, its not that hard!

i agree about ameobi having had far too many chances now. but faye is absolutely terribel. the amount of times he gets the ball, looks up, sees a player out wide and instead of playing the 30yard pass turns the other way and plays the 10yard pass instead. its incomprehensible that a professional footballer who represents his country doesnt have the ability to make a pass with anything other than the side of his foot!

Carr for right midfield?  Probably the right choice, but when Souness was forced to make that decision a few weeks ago because of injury he was absolutely slated for it, I didn't hear one voice of support for it.  I don't like Souness either but I think the irrationality loses credibility.

46550[/snapback]

Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't play Carr as a right midfielder, he played him as the central holding midfielder!

Carr is an out and out right sided player, he has only one foot, he always likes to pass inside and he uses the sideline as his tether for running up and down the pitch. It is understandable that Souness got slated for making a decision to play him in the centre but the RM is a different job and only a slight step up from where Carr plays his football. Where is the lack of credibility in that?

46550[/snapback]

Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't play Carr as a right midfielder, he played him as the central holding midfielder!

Carr is an out and out right sided player, he has only one foot, he always likes to pass inside and he uses the sideline as his tether for running up and down the pitch. It is understandable that Souness got slated for making a decision to play him in the centre but the RM is a different job and only a slight step up from where Carr plays his football. Where is the lack of credibility in that?

46918[/snapback]

I think he's played in both roles although I thought Carr played in the holding at the end of last season and right-wing more recently. (I'm not sure, all the shitty performances are blending into one).

46550[/snapback]

46918[/snapback]

didn't he play wide right home V fulham with taylor at right back ?

(I'm not sure, all the shitty performances are blending into one).

46933[/snapback]

Quoted for truth brother.

46938[/snapback]

'sup, my nigga.

46933[/snapback]

46938[/snapback]

'sup, my nigga.

48181[/snapback]

???

48184[/snapback]

I wouldnt have signed Bowyer.

I wouldnt have signed Milner/Viana/Bassedas/Cort and thus we would have had 25million quid to sign a 'proper' player.

I would have sold Bowyer in the summer if he was in the squad.

I would have played Lee Clark from the beginning. I would have played Emre from the start. I wouldnt have sold Darren Ambrose.

I wouldnt have bought Diego Gavilan and Wayne Quinn and would have used that £3 million to buy Damien Duff who we tried to buy in the year 2000.

???

48184[/snapback]

Your bizarre use of ebonics amused me, I decided to have a go.

48191[/snapback]

Ebonics???

You never heard the left wing use of the word "brother" before?

Maybe the religious use of "brother"?

Do me a favour don't try and associate me with your use of that wonderful term.

46933[/snapback]

46938[/snapback]

'sup, my nigga.

48181[/snapback]

???

48184[/snapback]

I wouldnt have signed Bowyer.

I wouldnt have signed Milner/Viana/Bassedas/Cort and thus we would have had 25million quid to sign a 'proper' player.

I would have sold Bowyer in the summer if he was in the squad.

I would have played Lee Clark from the beginning. I would have played Emre from the start. I wouldnt have sold Darren Ambrose.

I wouldnt have bought Diego Gavilan and Wayne Quinn and would have used that £3 million to buy Damien Duff who we tried to buy in the year 2000.

48188[/snapback]

That's exactly what I'd have said. Still can't work out why we let him go.

48702[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised if Souness was the kind of character who'd be upset by the rumours that do the rounds about Ambrose. That might be grossly unfair but it's the kind of image Souness chooses to portray.

I agree, quality player who we could have done with this season. Who on here wouldn't have rathered Clark and Ambrose in the middle than Faye and Clark?

48702[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised if Souness was the kind of character who'd be upset by the rumours that do the rounds about Ambrose. That might be grossly unfair but it's the kind of image Souness chooses to portray.

I agree, quality player who we could have done with this season. Who on here wouldn't have rathered Clark and Ambrose in the middle than Faye and Clark?

48703[/snapback]

Ambrose apparently was on his for his own reasons. He didnt want to stay. According to the Ipswich lot I know Bent and Ambrose were on their way to Charlton together for a while. They are disappointed he didnt go back there. It was assumed he and Bent would both be Ipswich players if ITFC had got promoted.

Very highly rated down there in Ipswich. More so than Bent and always has been.

Shame he went. More of a shame we didnt manage to get Bent as well when we signed Ambrose.