The Inevitable Knee-Jerk/Headless Chicken thread

The Fish

I can't be confident about staying up with our squad, injury record, manager and recent record. I don't think that's being unduly pessimistic given recent events and the lack of investment as things stand. If there is the intention to invest, our recent run also highlights the folly of leaving things till the very last minute.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right of course, we've been relegated each and every time you've predicted it.

And of course everytime you've called for change it's left us in a far stronger position.

:rolleyes:

headsand.jpg

I find it incredible that anybody now can still believe the hype that we are too big to go down. More incredible however is the thought that you'd be happy to let that happen without any attempt to shape or mould the future yourself. Stating that everything proposed is an insane idea so we should all just keep wandering along week in week out, watch the dross, clap politely when we lose (again) and observe the club we love be dismantled and die before our eyes is fucking mental tbh.

Pud, you plank, read my post, where have I said I'm happy with the situation? Where have I said we should clap politely?

All I've said is that I find it preposterous to launch into a series of apocalyptic predictions after any defeat.

All I've said is that there are people who are given to hysteria and I find it hysterical.

I don't think we're "too big to go down" I just don't think we will go down this year. Not because we're doing well, simply because there are teams doing worse. I don't we'll stay up with a healthy space between us and the drop zone, I don't think we'll be safe next year without investment and wholesale changes at the club.

I do however think that some fans need to express their concerns in an over-the-top fashion just for kicks.

All I'm saying is give moderation a chance.

By all means use my posts as a Wailing Wall to vent your frustration, but at least fashion your response to the statement I actually make.

You're right of course, we've been relegated each and every time you've predicted it.

And of course everytime you've called for change it's left us in a far stronger position.

:rolleyes:

headsand.jpg

I find it incredible that anybody now can still believe the hype that we are too big to go down. More incredible however is the thought that you'd be happy to let that happen without any attempt to shape or mould the future yourself. Stating that everything proposed is an insane idea so we should all just keep wandering along week in week out, watch the dross, clap politely when we lose (again) and observe the club we love be dismantled and die before our eyes is fucking mental tbh.

Pud, you plank, read my post, where have I said I'm happy with the situation? Where have I said we should clap politely?

All I've said is that I find it preposterous to launch into a series of apocalyptic predictions after any defeat.

All I've said is that there are people who are given to hysteria and I find it hysterical.

I don't think we're "too big to go down" I just don't think we will go down this year. Not because we're doing well, simply because there are teams doing worse. I don't we'll stay up with a healthy space between us and the drop zone, I don't think we'll be safe next year without investment and wholesale changes at the club.

I do however think that some fans need to express their concerns in an over-the-top fashion just for kicks.

All I'm saying is give moderation a chance.

By all means use my posts as a Wailing Wall to vent your frustration, but at least fashion your response to the statement I actually make.

While there are certainly teams doing worse over the season so far (obviously or we would be 20th not 16th) but there can't be many who are in worse form (Boro perhaps) and have a worse injury crisis and the prospect of losing two players from their already paper thin squads with very little prospect of bringing anyone in.

This is a massive crisis, with Beye, Barton and Owen (Martins too?) out for a good number of weeks we are really short on the those players of quality the pundits keep telling us we have and the players that are left are looking devoid of any confidence at all (much like the fans).

Looking at the fixture list is frightening too. Any away game is a write off to start with and we shortly have a run at home of Manure, Arsenal, Chelski and Everton. Where are the points going to come from? If/when we lose to the makems on Sunday we will be lower than a snakes belly and I have massive doubts the team/club has the character to recover.

I admit I have probably been guilty in the past of overreacting to positives (such as the Portsmouth and Spurs games) but facts as they are at the moment point to only one thing and I'm really not convinced that there will be three teams who are worse, especially as those teams are actually bringing players in rather than just shipping their best ones out.

There's no sand about here. For me if Given goes which looks likely then that could be the final nail. Owen's not exaclty on top form either but add to that the fact he's crocked I look around and don't see 3 worse teams. We're bearing all the hallmarks of a side going down. West Brom and Stoke will go down, so for me it's either Newcastle, Portsmouth or Bolton who will go down with them.

Not because we're doing well, simply because there are teams doing worse.

2 points worse off. I am not be hysterical but a realist when I say that 1 game can turn that on its head. A loss for us and win for those clubs below us and we could be rock bottom...

The Fish as a habbit of this, if you recall he shouted me down for wanting Allardyce out :crying:

Aye, things have gone swimmingly since you got your wish :rolleyes:

The Fish as a habbit of this, if you recall he shouted me down for wanting Allardyce out :crying:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. :help:

The Fish as a habbit of this, if you recall he shouted me down for wanting Allardyce out :help:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. <_<

You were employing hindsight in your previous post numbnuts. :whiteflag::crying:

Lowest ebb. Absolute disgrace. No light at the end of the tunnel.

...and there's still 4 teams doing worse than us even on recent form.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/engla...form-table/full

We won't go down.

Sunderland, Everton, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal are 5 of our next 8 games :rolleyes:

The run of games in general is dreadful. Apart from the ones you mention we've got Hull, Bolton and Stoke away. All very tough games and our away record has been dreadful for about 3 years now. It's frightening.

We won't go down.

Sunderland, Everton, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal are 5 of our next 8 games :rolleyes:

Aye but we're only shit because of injuries.

Cacapa, Ameobi, Viduka, Martins, Zoggy and Given are all fit for Feb 1st.

:help:

:crying:

We won't go down.

Aye but we're only shit because of injuries.

Cacapa, Ameobi, Viduka, Martins, Zoggy and Given are all fit for Feb 1st.

:help:

:crying:

Yeah as soon as they arrive at their new clubs!

• 2 weeks later...

bumpity bump

just to show that I'm not just going to drag this up post-defeats, and hide it when we win. great (unexpected by me) 3 points, but I still think we will be in there until the end of the season. I think the win was more a reflection on the shockingness of West Brom's defence rather than yet another corner turned... but hey, I'd love to be proved wrong.

there's no game I look at now and expect a better result than when I looked at the fixture list yesterday. although to be fair the transfer window has had a marginally less traumatic overall effect on our squad than I had expected (mainly due to n'somnia reducing his effectiveness/importance in the run-up to his exit)

still, whether we're knee-jerking or burying heads in the sand, its going to be a fascinating ride....wherever the end destination

• 3 weeks later...

Am feeling particularly "knee-jerky" today. If we get thumped against united, arsenal and chelsea, and don't do better than an undeserved draw against Hull (which is what I would probably bet on) then I think our confidence could be completely shot by the time we get to potentially winnable games.

I've said since december it would be hull, stoke, and west brom, with us just scraping through, but I think we could be the team to throw a spanner into those works.

Anyone not worried yet?