Ashley: club is not for sale

smoggeordie

I do understand that it is harder to bring players in in Janaury though.

cool, you're already making excuses for it when it happens. Its not going to be that hard for Man City and Arsenal however if the papers are to be believed.

Funnily enough I'm going off what has happened here and at other clubs in previous January windows, perhaps I should scrap that thought and follow you in believing what is written in the Daily Mirror rumour page.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said money was available a few weeks back.

You still don't get that the number of contradictions he has made means that people simply don't believe him do you?

If you're not going to believe it then why would it matter if he said it again?

We'll soon be finding out.

So do you think £20m will be spent in January £15m, £12m or £0?

he [baggy] said that last summer, and last January.

Remember, before he even spends a couple of million quid on somebody, ie competing with the also rans, we made a profit in the summer transfer window and has x million quid burning his pocket in advance season ticket sales for starters.

Expect Baggy to defend his DOF crap and the person who brought it to the club to the end.

Which hopefully, will still be soon, despite his recent statement.

Are you going to delete this post like the last one?

As for Fop's question, I don't know what he's going to spend and i don't really care either as long as he brings in another player or two of the quality of Bassong, Jonas and Coloccini, but then again I'm more interested in the quality of player rather than being appeased by spending money.

so if the quality [and depth] is so much better, please explain the performance.

We have bought players in January before, btw.

If you are happy to see the club competing at the levels of Birmingham, Blackburn etc, then that is where we will be. Living in Bristol you should know all about football clubs behaving like 2nd and 3rd raters.

Your DOF and soopa owner might have sown the seeds that lead to us playing close to your home next season too. I suppose you will be happy with that too.

As for Fop's question, I don't know what he's going to spend and i don't really care either as long as he brings in another player or two of the quality of Bassong, Jonas and Coloccini, but then again I'm more interested in the quality of player rather than being appeased by spending money.

Surely if you've being paying attention to what's been said, and believe what's been said, you should have an idea.

Closer to £20m or £0 then?

As for 1-2, I'm not really sure that 1-2 of Robinho quality would be enough. Keegan said at the end of the summer transfer season that he wanted another 2-4 in to avoid the sort of situation we have now..... can it be that the utterly clueless and bumbling Kevin "tactically naive" Keegan actually got something right? :unsure:

Whilst we desperately do need quality we also need a decent squad and cover, something that seems to have passed Ashley, Wise, Lambrusco, yourself and company by, only Keegan and Kinnear seem to have twigged. :icon_lol:

It was hard enough in the summer. :icon_lol:

You still don't get that the number of contradictions he has made means that people simply don't believe him do you?

Remember, before he even spends a couple of million quid on somebody, ie competing with the also rans, we made a profit in the summer transfer window and has x million quid burning his pocket in advance season ticket sales for starters.

Expect Baggy to defend his DOF crap and the person who brought it to the club to the end.

so if the quality [and depth] is so much better, please explain the performance.

If you are happy to see the club competing at the levels of Birmingham, Blackburn etc, then that is where we will be. Living in Bristol you should know all about football clubs behaving like 2nd and 3rd raters.

Your DOF and soopa owner might have sown the seeds that lead to us playing close to your home next season too. I suppose you will be happy with that too.

Are you saying that the players that came in are not as good as the players that left in the last window? Because that would be a major change in opinion from them blowing your socks off which you originally claimed.

Are you also saying that it isn't harder to get quality in in January? Perhaps you could put up a list of quality players that have been signed in the January window to back up your point. I'll start you off with Woodgate and Reyes.

As for living in Bristol, not sure what that has to do with anything but I'm still a season ticket holder and make a 600 mile round trip for games, where do you live btw? Scarborough?! Hows their local club doing apart form going bust?

Surely if you've being paying attention to what's been said, and believe what's been said, you should have an idea.

As for 1-2, I'm not really sure that 1-2 of Robinho quality would be enough. Keegan said at the end of the summer transfer season that he wanted another 2-4 in to avoid the sort of situation we have now..... can it be that the utterly clueless and bumbling Kevin "tactically naive" Keegan actually got something right? :unsure:

Whilst we desperately do need quality we also need a decent squad and cover, something that seems to have passed Ashley, Wise, Lambrusco, yourself and company by, only Keegan and Kinnear seem to have twigged. :icon_lol:

Keegan said last Summer he wanted 3 players before we even bought anyone, seems like he's as inconsistent as Kinnear for what he says to the media.

As for 2 players of Robinho's quality, now you're just being daft. Perhaps you could tell me the last window when we brought in 3 players who have been the quality of Jonas, Coloccini and Bassong? Or are you one of these people who are appeased by how much we spend rather than the quality of the player?

cool, you're already making excuses for it when it happens. Its not going to be that hard for Man City and Arsenal however if the papers are to be believed.

Funnily enough I'm going off what has happened here and at other clubs in previous January windows, perhaps I should scrap that thought and follow you in believing what is written in the Daily Mirror rumour page.

Yet you're happy to believe what is said by Ashley and co even though every statement has been contradicted half a dozen times? You still havent answered my question earlier (strangely you often seem to be happy to duck such things).

Are you willing to take a bet on related to the profit/loss of the club come Feb 5?

Aye one of the (many) ways January could go wrong is for us is to actually bring in a couple of decent players, but get rid of as many or more players and then be crucified by injury.

Which is one of the things that worries me, it seems a bit like Ashley's regime seem to believe that if you build a team of 11 good players that is enough, when in reality 22 good players would likely not be enough these days, and that's before you even consider Europe.

We're not that much over 22 players even when you include players that probably should be having a year or 2 more in an academy or on loan at lower division clubs.

Yet you're happy to believe what is said by Ashley and co even though every statement has been contradicted half a dozen times? You still havent answered my question earlier (strangely you often seem to be happy to duck such things).

Are you willing to take a bet on related to the profit/loss of the club come Feb 5?

As I've said to Leazes, make a list of all of the quality players that have moved in January and we'll see how hard it is to sign players, I've started him off with Woodgate and Reyes.

What question did I duck btw?

Tell me more about this bet, I could be interested.

Are you saying that the players that came in are not as good as the players that left in the last window? Because that would be a major change in opinion from them blowing your socks off which you originally claimed.

Are you also saying that it isn't harder to get quality in in January? Perhaps you could put up a list of quality players that have been signed in the January window to back up your point. I'll start you off with Woodgate and Reyes.

As for living in Bristol, not sure what that has to do with anything but I'm still a season ticket holder and make a 600 mile round trip for games, where do you live btw? Scarborough?! Hows their local club doing apart form going bust?

haha........you have said this before, you're just confirming that you paid no attention to the reply. Which was that there is little point in bringing in good players while letting others go that the manager wants to keep, and undermining him, to balance the books. This is how small clubs like Bristol City operate.

I've never said that I do still live in the city, I knew you would rise to that :unsure: but I still go to games, and I always have, I still have friends and family, and I'm prepared to bet I've seen more NUFC games than well over 90% of people who do live in the city have done, and still do.

Also....when I was 27, I was living further away than you do now, and had seen well over 100 games. About 4 times that in fact.

I'm not so sure about Colocinni as I was at first, but having said that, we still didn't bring in players for the positions we needed the most. Players for the attacking positions generally cost more money than defenders though, and there you have th sticking point, unless Denis the DOF can find the new Wayne Rooney and persuade him to sign for us. He's got a month.

The need to sign players in January is paramount, because the wanker didn't do it in the summer. Money talks, its time for him to show the ambition that you are used to seeing, in fact, but you wouldn#t accept it and even now, when its right in front of you, you're too dumb to see it and admit it.

Edited by LeazesMag

Keegan said last Summer he wanted 3 players before we even bought anyone, seems like he's as inconsistent as Kinnear for what he says to the media.

Keegan said he thought he had enough to get us through last season when he came in (and when enough were fit and morale was restored he was pretty much right).

However by the end of the summer when Milner went Keegan was saying that we needed 2-3 more (never mind after putting Barton, Owen and Smith up for sale - yes even Smith with his record here is probably better than no one squad-wise) - in fact getting in 2-3 more was the key issue with Keegan and Milner's sale (and there's been a few times this season Milner would have come in handy).

As for 2 players of Robinho's quality, now you're just being daft. Perhaps you could tell me the last window when we brought in 3 players who have been the quality of Jonas, Coloccini and Bassong? Or are you one of these people who are appeased by how much we spend rather than the quality of the player?

You seem to have missed the point I'm making regarding quality; that it doesn't really matter if we bring in a couple of players of genuine quality if our squad is still paper thin and unable to withstand even average (for other clubs, never mind us) season injuries.

A player or even a couple of players of almost any quality aren't enough, unless you have a squad that can support them and allow them to function to their potential (and get by if they are injured themselves).

Edited by Fop

Beardsley may be a legend on the pitch but some of his opinions have been suspect in the past to say the least, I can't remember names but I recall rolling my eyes at several managerial recommendations he has made in the past when interviewed.

He's a bit thick.

haha........you have said this before, you're just confirming that you paid no attention to the reply. Which was that there is little point in bringing in good players while letting others go that the manager wants to keep, and undermining him, to balance the books. This is how small clubs like Bristol City operate.

I've never said that I do still live in the city, I knew you would rise to that :unsure: but I still go to games, and I always have, I still have friends and family, and I'm prepared to bet I've seen more NUFC games than well over 90% of people who do live in the city have done, and still do.

Also....when I was 27, I was living further away than you do now, and had seen well over 100 games. About 4 times that in fact.

I'm not so sure about Colocinni as I was at first, but having said that, we still didn't bring in players for the positions we needed the most. Players for the attacking positions generally cost more money than defenders though, and there you have th sticking point, unless Denis the DOF can find the new Wayne Rooney and persuade him to sign for us. He's got a month.

No surprise to see you avoid telling me all of the quality players that have moved in the January window, I've started you off with Woodgate and Reyes.

No surprise to see you avoid telling me all of the quality players that have moved in the January window, I've started you off with Woodgate and Reyes.

I edited it to respond.

Just like you to ignore the whole of the post.

Keegan said he thought he had enough to get us through last season when he came in (and when enough were fit and morale was restored he was pretty much right).

However by the end of the summer when Milner went Keegan was saying that we needed 2-3 more (never mind after putting Barton, Owen and Smith up for sale - yes even Smith with his record here is probably better than no one squad-wise) - in fact getting in 2-3 more was the key issue with Keegan and Milner's sale (and there's been a few times this season Milner would have come in handy).

You seem to have missed the point I'm making regarding quality; that it doesn't really matter if we bring in a couple of players of genuine quality if our squad is still paper thin and unable to withstand even average (for other clubs, never mind us) season injuries.

A player or even a couple of players of almost any quality aren't enough, unless you have a squad that can support them and allow them to function to their potential (and get by if they are injured themselves).

I know we still need to bring players in, I just also understand that we were never going to bring in 8 quality players in one window, it's something that we've never done in the past and I wouldn't be surprised if we never do in the future, the fact that you couldn't name the 3 players that I've asked you suggests you know this too.

It's a building job and it takes time.

You're still missing the point.

Had we done what we could of/should of in the summer window, we not need to move for anybody in January, we'd still have Keegan in charge ( :unsure: I know), and we'd probably be sitting quite well in the table.

However we should be able to get something in the window as we supposedly have at least £12m (+ interest :icon_lol: ) sat burning a hole in "our" pockets.... but I wonder if we won't be gambled on surviving with what we've got. :icon_lol:

Have I got this right btw? Ashley's got an excuse for not doing what he should have done in the summer because it's difficult to buy in January? Nice one.

You're still missing the point.

Had we done what we could of/should of in the summer window, we not need to move for anybody in January, we'd still have Keegan in charge ( :unsure: I know), and we'd probably be sitting quite well in the table.

However we should be able to get something in the window as we supposedly have at least £12m (+ interest :icon_lol: ) sat burning a hole in "our" pockets.... but I wonder if we won't be gambled on surviving with what we've got. :icon_lol:

quite amazing, the amount of people like Baggy, who harped on about the old board, while backing their managers, for saying that it was "our money, not theirs". I don't think anybody on the old board EVER said that it was "theirs", [they just showed the ambition to back their managers] but he won't criticise Mike Ashley for hanging onto what is most certainly "his" [if he chooses it to be his] like grim Death.

Just gets dumber and dumber ...... like his mate thickmick.

Still, you stay on here where everyone licks your arse and thinks your countdown clock is great if it makes you comfortable.

You know something I dont think anyone is as big a tosser on the internet as you and that includes the WUMs we have and the fat kid that thinks hes in Star Wars.

I know we still need to bring players in,

Yes just 1-2 apparently, although you've no idea who, what or how much for. :icon_lol:

I just also understand that we were never going to bring in 8 quality players in one window, it's something that we've never done in the past and I wouldn't be surprised if we never do in the future, the fact that you couldn't name the 3 players that I've asked you suggests you know this too.

Two of those mentioned as Keegan targets with the Milner money were of reasonable quality and Premiership proven, if we'd got them we'd be more able to bid our time currently.

It's a building job and it takes time.

For a building job it's looking very much like an assets stripping job, isn't it. :unsure:

Aye and look where they've got us in the table.

They're ok as players, I've no real complaints to be honest. Its just that the major surgery that needed to be carried out last summer to prevent another flirt with relegation this season was baulked at by Ashley who decided a better policy would be to sit idly by and let Wise and Llambias drive the manager out of the club and now surprise surprise we're two points off the drop zone in the tightest league table for years where just a tiny piece of consistancy can get you out of trouble and into contention for Europe e.g. Wigan.

Yesterday some rather worrying looking pigieons came home to roost the chief one being if Bassong was to get a long term injury we'd be somewhere up a creek without a paddle. And seeing as this is Ashley's fourth transfer window since he came to the club and we're still complete fuckin crap on the pitch surely you can't blame some of us for being a tad concerned as to who will be coming in and who will be going out? He doesn't want "unrealistic" signings for big money?.....well lets see how real the fizzy pop league will feel to him next season......

Also bearing in mind that technically until we spend the Milner money we're still at £0 or -£12m depending on how you look at it. :unsure:

Transfers in and out since summer 2007.

In.

Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough - Free)

Joey Barton (Man City - £5.8m)

David Rozehnal (PSG - £2.7m)

Geremi (Chelsea - Free)

Alan Smith (Man Utd - £6m)

Cacapa (Lyon - Free)

Jose Enrique (Villarreal - £6.3m)

Habib Beye (Marseille - £2.5m)

Abdoulaye Faye (Bolton - £2m)

Tamas Kadar (Zalaegerszegi - £900k)

Fabio Zamblera (Atalanta - £300k)

Jonas Gutierrez (Real Mallorca - Undisc)

Danny Guthrie (Liverpool - £2.5m)

Fabricio Coloccini (Deportivo La Coruna - £10.3m)

Nile Ranger (Southampton - Free)

Xisco (Deportivo La Coruna - £5.7m)

Aaron Spear (Plymouth - £250k)

Out.

Olivier Bernard (Released)

Titus Bramble (Wigan - Free)

Craig Moore (Queensland Roar - Free)

Pavel Srnicek (Released)

Antoine Sibierski (Wigan - Free)

Scott Parker (West Ham - £7m)

Alan O'Brien (Hibs - Free)

Kieron Dyer (West Ham - £7m)

Paul Huntington (Leeds - Undisclosed)

Nolberto Solano (West Ham - Free)

Albert Luque (Ajax - £2m)

Celestine Babayaro (Released)

David Rozehnal (Lazio - £2.9m)

Emre (Fenerbahce - Undisc)

Abdoulaye Faye (Stoke - £2.25m)

James Milner (Aston Villa - £12m)

The only two transfer fees who seem a mystery are Gutierrez & Emre, so let's just say they were the same (although I'd imagine we'll have spent, or will end up spending more on Jonas than we sold Emre for), that means...

Net Spend - £12.1m

Of course that's still not a great amount, but I'd imagine most of the Milner money at the very least will be spent in the January window taking that to around £20m.

Maybe you would like to tell us how many clubs managed to sign their first choice, quality players during this transfer window ? I take it that you are saying anyone who doesn't do this is shite

I've never said that I do still live in the city, I knew you would rise to that :icon_lol: but I still go to games, and I always have, I still have friends and family, and I'm prepared to bet I've seen more NUFC games than well over 90% of people who do live in the city have done, and still do.

I edited it to respond.

I can't see a list sorry, perhaps you can highlight it for me.

Either that or backdown and admit it's hard to bring players in in January.

Then again you already know it's hard to get quality in.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/....html#msg695257

"Maybe you would like to tell us how many clubs managed to sign their first choice, quality players during this transfer window ? I take it that you are saying anyone who doesn't do this is shite"

Looks like you're a two faced fat prick after all, unless you're going to say someone edited you post like when we found out you thought Souness was a better manager than Keegan. :unsure:

Maybe you would like to tell us how many clubs managed to sign their first choice, quality players during this transfer window ? I take it that you are saying anyone who doesn't do this is shite

I've never said that I do still live in the city, I knew you would rise to that :icon_lol: but I still go to games, and I always have, I still have friends and family, and I'm prepared to bet I've seen more NUFC games than well over 90% of people who do live in the city have done, and still do.

I edited it to respond.

"Maybe you would like to tell us how many clubs managed to sign their first choice, quality players during this transfer window ? I take it that you are saying anyone who doesn't do this is shite"

Looks like you're a two faced fat prick after all, unless you're going to say someone edited you post like when we found out you thought Souness was a better manager than Keegan. :unsure:

I fail to see how you get such satisfaction given the way you make yourself look when you post stuff like this btw.

Aye and look where they've got us in the table.

They're ok as players, I've no real complaints to be honest. Its just that the major surgery that needed to be carried out last summer to prevent another flirt with relegation this season was baulked at by Ashley who decided a better policy would be to sit idly by and let Wise and Llambias drive the manager out of the club and now surprise surprise we're two points off the drop zone in the tightest league table for years where just a tiny piece of consistancy can get you out of trouble and into contention for Europe e.g. Wigan.

Yesterday some rather worrying looking pigieons came home to roost the chief one being if Bassong was to get a long term injury we'd be somewhere up a creek without a paddle. And seeing as this is Ashley's fourth transfer window since he came to the club and we're still complete fuckin crap on the pitch surely you can't blame some of us for being a tad concerned as to who will be coming in and who will be going out? He doesn't want "unrealistic" signings for big money?.....well lets see how real the fizzy pop league will feel to him next season......

Out of interest, where do you think we would be in the league if Keegan had stayed?

Because your whole argument is based on that we wouldn't be any better because this is the best the players can get us.

I edited it to respond.

I fail to see how you get such satisfaction given the way you make yourself look when you post stuff like this btw.

Do you think it's hard to get quality players in January, alex?