Suicide

magelaide

I'm not sure what's the most depressing, this thread or a double bill of Eastenders.

:o

Ring the samaritans, simple, if she won't do that tell her to do the job properly next time and stop dragging everyone close, down with her. Might just be the kick up the arse she needs but if it isn't the consequences will be devastating. :crylaughin:

47745[/snapback]

agreed, working in a and e i see ten of these every friday and saturday night and struggle to be sympathetic now. we all have problems, some worse than others, but thats life, we have to deal with them. if you want to die you dont take pills, you jump off a bridge or walk in front of a train. all this cry for help stuff is bullshit. you only have 1 person you can truly rely on in life. attempting it and failing it twice suggests to me she doesnt honestly want to die.

47779[/snapback]

Nice. Do yourself a favour and get another job that doesn't involve dealing with people, especially vulnerable people.

47800[/snapback]

Thats why im an AandE nurse and not a mental health nurse. although the comments you hear from most of those would give the PC brigade on here apoplexy! On the rare occasion we get a geniune failed suicide attempt we are all extremely sympathetic and do our best to help. It just doesnt happen very often becasue 99percent of the genuine ones succeed.

J69, can you explain to me what having sympathy for someone suffering from depression, other mental health problems and or those with suicidal urges has to do with being politically correct?

thats just it, the people we are talking about on here dont have mental health problems, depression or suicidal urges. If they did I would be sympathetic.

people who want to die dont take pills, then tell someone then call an ambulance for themselves.

when you are doing a 12 hour night shift, you got a kid with meningitis, an RTA in resus with 2 broken legs etc. etc. etc. and you are the only doctor on shift lets see how much sympathy you have for the 18year old who took 20paracetomol cos her boyfriend dumped her.

47981[/snapback]

Do you wait to find out whether the RTA was their own fault - tiredness, drunkenness, dangerous driving... - before deciding whether to sympathise with them?

thats just it, the people we are talking about on here dont have mental health problems, depression or suicidal urges. If they did I would be sympathetic.

people who want to die dont take pills, then tell someone then call an ambulance for themselves.

47997[/snapback]

It doesn't mean they don't need help. In fact it means they do.

And btw, plenty of people with severe mental health problems attempt suicide. Just because they don't succeed doesn't mean they are not suicidal, and if it did, so what? Just ignore them until they do succeed?

47997[/snapback]

Surely they have mental health problems though, it's hardly normal behaviour is it? I think you've just contradicted yourself to be honest.

Changing the subject slightly, my colleague was walking on the quayside by the bottom of Dean street a few weeks back when someone jumped from the Tyne bridge, and was strawberry jammed in front of her eyes. Luckily she is a doctor and can deal with this type of thing.

It's a curious fact that men tend to choose more violent, and therefore more successful, means of suicide than women. No doubt some people could use this for some misogynistic argument about women just wanting attention mind.....

I agree with J69 on this completely, as part of his job he has to treat all patients with similar respect an I am sure he does.

However I can see his point, it must be hard to be sympathetic to people who are doing this type of thing to themselves when you are already dealing with other genuinely unfortunate people who have had legitamate or life threatening accidents.

I would imagine the same applies for drunks etc who end up putting uneeded strain on understrength services.

Hes not saying he would leave them to die, he is saying it is hard to be sympathetic.

People with genuine mental health problems are treat and monitored to see if they are at risk quite consistently, Iwould imagine failed suicides get interviews from mental health staff to identify any mental illness and then aftercare would be provided.

Changing the subject slightly, my colleague was walking on the quayside by the bottom of Dean street a few weeks back when someone jumped from the Tyne bridge, and was strawberry jammed in front of her eyes. Luckily she is a doctor and can deal with this type of thing.

It's a curious fact that men tend to choose more violent, and therefore more successful, means of suicide than women. No doubt some people could use this for some misogynistic argument about women just wanting attention mind.....

48002[/snapback]

I heard about that, awful.

I agree with J69 on this completely, as part of his job he has to treat all patients with similar respect an I am sure he does.

However I can see his point,  it must be hard to be sympathetic to people who are doing this type of thing to themselves when you are already dealing with other genuinely unfortunate people who have had legitamate or life threatening accidents.

I would imagine the same applies for drunks etc who end up putting uneeded strain on understrength services.

Hes not saying he would leave them to die, he is saying it is hard to be sympathetic.

People with genuine mental health problems are treat and monitored to see if they are at risk quite consistently, Iwould imagine failed suicides get interviews from mental health staff to identify any mental illness and then aftercare would be provided.

48004[/snapback]

I think J69 is saying he is basically an unsympathetic type of person, which is fine, but I question whether he is in the right job. I honestly think it needs a special type of person to be good at A&E - people who give the time of day to patients with both physical and mental needs. I may be completely wrong, its only the internet after all, but this is my take on it.

Your last comment was pretty naive I think.

My mother is an approved social worker who interviews suicide patients and also deals with mentally ill offenders in the community etc...

She gets called out all of the time for legit and failed suicide attempts, also interviews the failed attempts and usually ends up forwarding them to the samaritans or similar.

The genuine suicides do not mess about, they make sure they die. Usually nothing can be done to stop them.

I understand your views on whether or not he is in the right job, I do disagree with them though.

I think you need a very hard minded person to be able to cope with that type of work, somebody too sympathetic would struggle to deal with a multiple rta or taking a severley injured or traumatised person from their family etc..

Just my views but I would rather have the person who is focused on the job doing it than someone who is going to get overinvolved with patients and end up depressed and suicidal themselves.

Its got to be very hard work at times, and maybe over time people who do it do become less sympathetic.

But the thread isnt about this, its about how she can help her friend, I think she can help her and hopefully all will be fine in time.

Edited by k4t0

My mother is an approved social worker who interviews suicide patients and also deals with mentallill offenders in the community etc...

She gets called out all of the time for legit and failed suicide attempts, also interviews the failed attempts and usually ends up forwarding them to the samaritans etc...

The genuine suicides do not mess about, they make sure they die.

I understand your views on whether or not he is in the right job, I do disagree with them though.

I think you need a very hard minded person to be able to cope with that type of work, somebody too sympathetic would struggle to deal with a multiple rta or taking a severley injured or traumatised person from their family etc..

Just my views but I would rather have the person who is focused on the job doing it than someone who is going to get overinvolved with patients and end up depressed and suicidal themselves.

Its got to be very hard work at times, and maybe over time people who do it do become less sympathetic.

But the thread isnt about this, its about how she can help her friend, I think she can help her and hopefully all will be fine in time.

48015[/snapback]

Fair enough.

Been mulling over whether to post this in case it's seen as flippant but it might cheer someone and it is true:

When NUFC sold Woodgate to Real Madrid my sister was so upset she told me she was gonna kill herself!

Well, she ate a whole tub of vitamin C pills. She was quite sick and she told me it turned her poo orange :crylaughin:

Hasn't had a cold since mind.

Edited by ChocChip

Mr Chip, you have now created a severe alert at the local sewerage farms.

Workers are going to be baffled by the shear amount of orange poo in the system.

Tell your sister shes a legend

Been mulling over whether to post this in case it's seen as flippant but it might cheer someone and it is true:

When NUFC sold Woodgate to Real Madrid my sister was so upset she told me she was gonna kill herself!

Well, she ate a whole tub of vitamin C pills. She was quite sick and she told me it turned her poo orange  :crylaughin:

Hasn't had a cold since mind.

48026[/snapback]

serves her right. shed be staright to the back of the queue if she came to my hospital

:o

However I can see his point,  it must be hard to be sympathetic to people who are doing this type of thing to themselves when you are already dealing with other genuinely unfortunate people who have had legitamate or life threatening accidents.

48004[/snapback]

I think J69 is saying he is basically an unsympathetic type of person, which is fine, but I question whether he is in the right job. I honestly think it needs a special type of person to be good at A&E - people who give the time of day to patients with both physical and mental needs. I may be completely wrong, its only the internet after all, but this is my take on it.

48006[/snapback]

Il think you will find my views are shared by the majority of casualty nurses around the country. last week i accompianied a doctor to tell a 17 year old lad he would never walk again after a car crash, the look on his face is one il never forget. the month before i had to put a 10year old girl missing a leg in a body bag after another car crash. I also recently had to tell a mother that we couldnt revive her cot death baby. I was also there last year when a woman lost her second child in a couple of years after he drowned at the leisure centre. These are people with problems, people who need my help and sympathy.

Do you still question whether im in the right job? id like to see you give it a go. im not an unsympathetic type of person, it just fucks me off when people seek sympathy by getting pissed up and then taking a handful of pills cos they lost their job or got dumped etc etc. do something about it, dont rely on others to do it for you.

Puts getting dumped by the boyfriend and having to get stomach pumped due to pills taken in the shade.

Tough job, must take a certain kind of person to do it, I couldnt personally because I honestly think it would break me quickly.

Hat taken off to you and other nurses

Edited by k4t0

I'm not getting into the sympathy debate cos I can see it from both sides. Yes, there are times when it's hard for nurses to be sympathetic in different situations - we're only human after all, but we have to be as it's our duty of care and that's what we're there for.

On the suicide thing - we had an 11-year-old lad in A&E last week who had attempted suicide after being bullied at school. The kid was epileptic and had taken all of the anti-convulsant tablets that he had, plus as many paracetamol he could get his hands on. He was unconscious when he was found and had to be resusciated and ventilated when he got to A&E and ended up in paediatric intensive care. How sad is that when a kid of 11 feels like his life is worth nothing and that it's the only option. I don't think I really even understood what suicide was when I was that age. :crylaughin:

but thats a totally different situation. the lad is too young to know better and the fact he got that low is devastating, my heart goes out to him.

48053[/snapback]

It wasn't a test to see if you'd have sympathy - it was just something that happened in our place recently.....

48004[/snapback]

i think its battle fatigue - you can only keep going in that sort of job is you distance yourself - the problem is that can be seen as "lacking in sympathy"

I know a few doctors & surgeons and its a real problem they acknowledge

i think its battle fatigue - you can only keep going in that sort of job is you distance yourself - the problem is that can be seen as "lacking in sympathy"

I know a few doctors & surgeons and its a real problem they acknowledge

48004[/snapback]

48006[/snapback]

Il think you will find my views are shared by the majority of casualty nurses around the country. last week i accompianied a doctor to tell a 17 year old lad he would never walk again after a car crash, the look on his face is one il never forget. the month before i had to put a 10year old girl missing a leg in a body bag after another car crash. I also recently had to tell a mother that we couldnt revive her cot death baby. I was also there last year when a woman lost her second child in a couple of years after he drowned at the leisure centre. These are people with problems, people who need my help and sympathy.

Do you still question whether im in the right job? id like to see you give it a go. im not an unsympathetic type of person, it just fucks me off when people seek sympathy by getting pissed up and then taking a handful of pills cos they lost their job or got dumped etc etc. do something about it, dont rely on others to do it for you.

48043[/snapback]

I have done that kind of work before and decided it wasn't for me - I just didn't like patients enough (one of many reasons), so I went into research. I don't know you, you don't know me, so I guess this is pointless. I suspect my main gripe I have with what you're saying is the fact you are generalising to the bit in bold above. Many people feel truly in despair and make genuine cries for help. If you don't help them, they may be successful next time. I can understand how they feel. Also, I'm sure I read somewhere that anybody who seriously contemplates suicide, and if you reach this stage you probably are thinking about it at least, is almost certainly clinically depressed.

48002[/snapback]

Sounds like this could've been my old mate (see earlier post), he jumped off the tyne bridge at rush hour one Friday a few weeks back and landed outside the Akenside.

48002[/snapback]

Sounds like this could've been my old mate (see earlier post), he jumped off the tyne bridge at rush hour one Friday a few weeks back and landed outside the Akenside.

48083[/snapback]

Haven't seen your earlier post, but that fits everything exactly. Poor sod, glad he didn't land on anyone though.