Great NHL hockey game tomorrow

Cid_MCDP

Dunno if any of you all are into NHL hockey at all, but if you're wanting to watch a good game or are curious to see your first game, you could do a lot worse than tomorrow's matchup between the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins.

The Capitals have been vastly improved since coach Bruce Bodreau took over about a year and a half ago. They made a deeper than expected run into the Stanley Cup playoffs last year and this year have been dominant in their division and some would say, their conference. The Capitals are tied for second in the East, the on-ice contributions of NHL goal scoring leader Alex Ovechkin, Left Wing, playing no small part. The Gr8 One leads the NHL in goal scoring with 42 in 57 games after a slow start due to a death in the family which obviously weighed heavily on his mental game and ultimately demanded a return trip to Russia for a funeral and to spend time with his family.

The Pens have played a little below themselves as a team this season which is common when a young team makes it to the Stanley Cup finals the year before, but you wouldn't know it by watching Pittsburgh Center Evgeni Malkin. The Russian star leads the league in points with 84 (26 goals, 58 assists) in only 59 games this season. Despite Malkin's best efforts, the Pens are fighting for a playoff spot in a relatively tight Eastern Conference and currently sit 10th.

Both teams are young and extremely gifted offensively boasting some of the biggest names in the NHL today. Additionally, neither have outstanding goaltending (although Washington's defense is superior to most teams) which should make for a high-scoring affair. There is definitely a personal rivalry between Capitals Ovechkin and Alex Semin, and the Penguins Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby, which only serves to make these games between their teams all the more entertaining.

The game starts at 12:30 Eastern US tomorrow. Don't know who shows NHL games over there (if anyone), but if you're curious at all about hockey, tomorrow's game should be a great one to watch.

On a sidenote- Ovechkin scored another one of his "how'd he do that" goals the other night against Montreal. Good stuff-

The words great and NHL in the same title?

......hey now, don't be that guy. The NHL is awesome, although it does have to many teams now. They should get rid of all the teams in the southern US and puts some more back in Canada, they'd be way more profitable we're hockey MAD up here.

Detroit are my favourite team to watch in the NHL, Lidstrom and Zetterburg are outstanding players. And Mike Babcock their coach played for one year in the North East with the Whitley Warriors, so even more reason to like them.

I like watching Vancouver for Luongo too, he's an incredible goalie.

ESPN America, formerly NASN is a good place to watch NHL.

Detroit are my favourite team to watch in the NHL, Lidstrom and Zetterburg are outstanding players. And Mike Babcock their coach played for one year in the North East with the Whitley Warriors, so even more reason to like them.

That's ironic as hell- here in the states ESPN doesn't carry hockey at all!

Toronto are my favorite team....always have been, seems I like the teams with the 40+ year droughts for championships :lol:

All about the Pens tbh

lots of star power on the Pens to be sure......however the Leafs have had their number this year they lead the season series 3-1, but hey to each their own.

Did you see the game that started this thread? Crosby and Ovechkin getting ready to scrap..... :lol: too funny Sid the kid would get WHOOPED

Edited by tooner

Toronto are my favorite team....always have been, seems I like the teams with the 40+ year droughts for championships :lol:

He he Maple Leafs are patently the NUFC of the NHL!

Trade deadline on Wednesday too, wonder how many Leafs are left after that.

Wish we could trade away some of our players, Trading Viduka, Smith, Duff, Geremi and Cacapa for a bag of grass seed would be fair value.

Toronto are my favorite team....always have been, seems I like the teams with the 40+ year droughts for championships :razz:

Wish we could trade away some of our players, Trading Viduka, Smith, Duff, Geremi and Cacapa for a bag of grass seed would be fair value.

you reckon any of them can skate?

:lol:

I thought the Canucks were the NUFC of the NHL. Hockey-mad city but they're never won the Stanley Cup. My favourite team anyway, just because I've been there like :lol:

Toronto are my favorite team....always have been, seems I like the teams with the 40+ year droughts for championships :razz:

you reckon any of them can skate?

:lol:

Not sure, but stick tubbo Viduka in net and you've got a guaranteed shut out every time, he'd comfortably fill every inch of space the opposition could shoot the puck into

His 70 grand a week wages might mess up a teams salary cap mind

I thought the Canucks were the NUFC of the NHL. Hockey-mad city but they're never won the Stanley Cup. My favourite team anyway, just because I've been there like :lol:

while the canucks have never won, the Vancouver Millionaires won it waaaaaaay back at the beginning of the 20th century, they are my second team because I live in BC now and if you cheer too loudly for the Leafs there is a good chance of having to step outside.......I'm a lover not a fighter :razz:

broke my heart to see Mats Sundin sink the leafs (former captain) in the shoot-out on Saturday :icon_lol:

while the canucks have never won, the Vancouver Millionaires won it waaaaaaay back at the beginning of the 20th century, they are my second team because I live in BC now and if you cheer too loudly for the Leafs there is a good chance of having to step outside.......I'm a lover not a fighter :icon_lol:

broke my heart to see Mats Sundin sink the leafs (former captain) in the shoot-out on Saturday :)

Sound more like us all the time :razz: The Canucks got beat in the final once as well didn't they?

while the canucks have never won, the Vancouver Millionaires won it waaaaaaay back at the beginning of the 20th century, they are my second team because I live in BC now and if you cheer too loudly for the Leafs there is a good chance of having to step outside.......I'm a lover not a fighter :icon_lol:

broke my heart to see Mats Sundin sink the leafs (former captain) in the shoot-out on Saturday ;)

Sound more like us all the time :razz: The Canucks got beat in the final once as well didn't they?

Indeed they did and how about a little serendipity, it was Mark Messier a former canuck that beat them in game seven of the final.....how's that for heartbreak?

the last time the Leafs won was 1967, Bill Burillko scored in overtime to win the cup for the Leafs, then in the summer he was killed in a plane crash while on a fishing trip in Northern Ontario.......check out "50 mission Cap" by the Tragically Hip for a musical rundown on that bit of Canadiana :)

Vancouver hasn't been in the league long enough to be NUFC. :lol:

I'd say my beloved, much-malinged Los Angeles Kings are pretty close to the NUFC of the NHL.

Never won? Check.

Questionable ownership? Check.

Disliked by rest of league? Check.

Always seem to play opposites (win games against teams they should lose, lose games they should win)? Check.

Big-name former player as coach? Not yet, but Tony Granato stood-in for the Avs and got a few games under his belt... and Robitaille could always turn coach...