NUSC - Changing Direction

Newcastle United Supporters Club (NUSC) Changing Direction - but the aims stay the same

19th March 7.30pm at the Tyneside Irish Centre, St. Andrews Street, Newcastle

NUSC (Newcastle United Supporters Club) has arranged an open meeting to outline its intention to change its status to that of a Supporters Trust - a democratic, not-for-profit organisation of supporters, committed to strengthening the voice for supporters in the decision making process at Newcastle United. The setting up of the Supporters Trust will be achieved with the help of Supporters Direct who provide advice and support nationally in organising fans groups to get involved in the ownership of clubs they support.

Supporters Direct is an organisation that since its inception has helped establish Supporters Trusts at over 140 clubs at all levels, from Manchester United to non-league level. NUSCs stated long-term aim is to gain an input into the running of Newcastle United FC on behalf of the fans by acquiring a stake in the club. Achieving trust status is the first step in making this possible. It now has over 1,000 members and is growing on a daily basis.

There will be contributions from a representative from NUSC, James Mathie (Supporters Direct), John Gibson, (Evening Chronicle) and members of trusts set up by supporters of other football clubs. The Meeting will start at 7.30pm and last for approximately 2 hours.

We are planning to broadcast the meeting via our audio webcast for those that are unable to attend. Details will be available via www.nusc.org.uk

Supporters Direct can be found at http://www.supportersdirect.org

Thank You

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what to make of this (Although sounds positive). I would ask;

Is it a serious ambition to own a stake in the club?

Has this ever happened at a large british club?

Didn't the Man U Supporters' Trust have a reasonable sized stake in the club pre-Glazer? It's obviously a lot easier to achieve when the club is a PLC, I can't see Ashley selling a stake to NUSC any time soon.

Not sure what to make of this (Although sounds positive). I would ask;

Is it a serious ambition to own a stake in the club?

Has this ever happened at a large british club?

Didn't the Man U Supporters' Trust have a reasonable sized stake in the club pre-Glazer? It's obviously a lot easier to achieve when the club is a PLC, I can't see Ashley selling a stake to NUSC any time soon.

Almost 10% iirc, they got really well organised when Rupert Murdoch tried to take Man U over.

Counted for nowt in the end though when the Irish pair sold their shares to Glazer, but it was a very good effort.

this is the 1st stage in what is a longterm thing and chances are that it wouldn't involve Ashley as I think everone acknowledges that he will sell at some stage in life. Now is more about getting the necessary procedures etc in place and working toward the day when it could happen.

The man u supporters trust has something like 2.5million sitting waiting for the day that they can buy in. They are ready for the chance and hopefully one day we could be in that position.

The ST idea is great in concept but struggles badly when we start talking about the kind of numbers involved in the Premiership. £2.5m would pay the wage bill for a few weeks.

If we found ourselves a division lower then maybe it could work. Shareholders Utd and Man U was the biggest of its kind in terms of pounds sterling and it was utterly powerless to prevent the Glazer takeover. The only effective Trust takeovers have come following distress situations. If we were a plc again it could work- but we're not and those shares are not feely available. Ashley doesn't have to sell and can name his price for a stake in the club.

The relationship between the fans and the board, which is crucial to any club succeeding, is in ruins. We can only hope that we are viable enough as a business to be sold to a more sensible ownership group who would take on the views of supporters as a matter of course rather than through shareholder pressure.

The meeting was a one-off anyway in terms of Llambias' appearance.

Edit: Additionally people were told at the start of the meeting that what was discussed in the meeting was supposed to stay in the meeting. Apparently.

Edited by alex

Same old problem with this country in general, people don't like to be told the truth, they can't tell it how it is in case they upset someone - the truth is the board are a bunch of useless fuckwits that are despised for very good reasons.

Edit: Additionally people were told at the start of the meeting that what was discussed in the meeting was supposed to stay in the meeting. Apparently.

they might have been told that but none of it has so having accountable notes rather than half truths and spin would be better

Ant, without going into it, there's absolutely nothing they claimed was said that wasn't. If I told you how I knew that, I'd have to kill you B)

My point was, you can't have/couldn't have had someone sitting there taking minutes for the reason I gave.

they might have been told that but none of it has so having accountable notes rather than half truths and spin would be better

Didn't Llambias kick off at some lassy for taking notes and then kicked off even more when he found out she was from NUSC?

NUSC aren't being pursued by Llambias and co. for defamation so i'd imgaine what they reported was accurate.

Ah, so that's why they invited the local media.

As the person who came up with the ST idea, I have to take some credit for this but the purchase of equity in the club isnt going to work.

Mike Ashley wants a certain amount of money for the club which he may or may not get.

If a new owner is found the chance of him floating the club on an already deflated stock market wont happen because they would make a loss on the shares they sell.

The fact is, NUFC belongs to Mike lock stock and barrell. Nothing anybody can do about that. If the NUSC wants influence in the club it will have to cosy up to Mr Ashley first.

Edited by Danny B

As the person who came up with the ST idea, I have to take some credit for this but the purchase of equity in the club isnt going to work.

Mike Ashley wants a certain amount of money for the club which he may or may not get.

If a new owner is found the chance of him floating the club on an already deflated stock market wont happen because they would make a loss on the shares they sell.

The fact is, NUFC belongs to Mike lock stock and barrell. Nothing anybody can do about that. If the NUSC wants influence in the club it will have to cosy up to Mr Ashley first.

Sorry to piss on your chips son but it was written into very early documentation that this was our aim, it was discussed at the first meeting and then again at the last one.

EDIT: And see my earlier post, this isnt seen as something likely to happen under the Ashley regime. Theres always a chance admittedly but its unlikely.

That is correct, strangely NUFC seem to think they can go against the word of the government who are responsible for these meetings taking place and part of the rules of them is that the minutes have to be made available for all fans to read. A quick look at nufc.cock shows how they are not meeting that obligation. B)

Sorry to piss on your chips son but it was written into very early documentation that this was our aim, it was discussed at the first meeting and then again at the last one.

EDIT: And see my earlier post, this isnt seen as something likely to happen under the Ashley regime. Theres always a chance admittedly but its unlikely.

So who do you think will buy it off ashley and sell you a tiny chunk of it so you can stick your nose in when you fancy?

The only chance of buying a chunk is if the shares are floated. Dont hold your breath.

If you do it properly you can affect change now, not when its too late.

The time of clubs being floated is gone, unlike the 90's, investors now know that there's no money to be made from them. If an owner comes in with the right attitude then there is a chance that they'd have a fans' representative on the board, however, it's a very small chance.

The time of clubs being floated is gone, unlike the 90's, investors now know that there's no money to be made from them. If an owner comes in with the right attitude then there is a chance that they'd have a fans' representative on the board, however, it's a very small chance.

Its not that far fetched tbh, from what I know, the idea was muted a while ago by a group of North East investors who wanted to buy into the club (something like 20 - 25%), using the Supporters Club to work with the fans. MA unfortunately didnt accept their offer.