The F1 2009 thread

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

I enjoyed the qualifying today, you just never know whats going to happen this season! But my god, Eddie Jordan pissses me off enormously!!! I swear DC will deck him before the season is out :aussie: I always liked Eddie, but not in this role....he seems to just say the opposite to everyone else just for effect.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vettel vs Button is echoes of Schumacher vs Hill.

The season is long, but I think those two are in in the shout for the WDC. Would love it to be Button, but Vettel is immense.

Awesome drive by Jenson today - he won the race, not the team. People will say he only won because Trulli backed the rest of the pack up during the middle stint... but that's racing - Schumacher used to win races exactly the same.

I was confident he'd win from the point when he got past Vettel. The race was always between the two of them IMO.

The son of F1 boss Max Mosley has been found dead after a suspected drugs overdose.

Alexander Mosley, 39, was discovered at his home in Notting Hill, West London.

Dr Mosley, a respected economist who had a close relationship with his father, was found slumped in a room by a relative.

A police spokesman said: 'We were called at 16.20 yesterday to reports of a male found dead at a property in W11.

'He was pronounced dead at the scene. The man is in his late 30s.

'We believe we know the identity of the deceased. The Coroner's office has been informed.'

Police are not officially identifying the victim until all next of kin have been informed.

A spokesman confirmed that the man's death was not being treated as suspicious.

Alexander Mosley was last seen alive on Friday.

Described by friends as a 'maths genius', Oxford -educated Alexander had opened a restaurant in Notting Hill close to where he lived.

Max Mosley had been due in Spain today but has now cancelled his trip.

Motorsport's ruling body the FIA today issued a statement expressing sadness at Alexander Mosley's death.

The statement read: 'The FIA extends sincere condolences to the Mosley family on the sad news of the death of Alexander Mosley.

'Our thoughts are with Alexander’s family and friends, and we would request that the media respect the Mosley family’s privacy at this difficult time.'

Fellow F1 businessman Eddie Jordan said: I'm devastated. As a parent it is the very last thing you ever, ever want to receive a phone call about.'

Alexander is one of Max Mosley two sons, his other son Patrick is 37.

Max Mosley, the 68-year-old son of Fascist leader Oswald Mosley, was at the centre of a high-profile court battle with the News of the World last July over claims he indulged in a a 'Nazi orgy' with five prostitutes.

The News of the World maintains the story was in the public interest and robustly defended the case.

But Mosley was awarded £60,000 in privacy damages against the paper last year over the allegations.

He told the committee the ordeal caused irreparable damage to his reputation and left him £30,000 out of pocket.

He is now suing the News of The World for libel.

*spoilers ahead* (just incase you havent seen it yet)!

Well, a slightly boring race today I thought (except for Mark Webber coming back past Alonso) I did feel alittle sorry for Rubens though, I watched his later interview and he sounded really aggrieved that they changed Jenson to a 2 stop stratedgy. But I suppose when it mattered Rubens just wasnt quick enough in the middle stint.

I enjoyed watching the chat after on interactive, Adrian Newey was a guest, quite interesting. But Eddie J is starting tp piss me off!! Still, his disagreements with DC make good viewing I guess!! You can actually feel DC's irritation at times <_<

The man for me is always Martin Brundle, his best quote of the day today....."Hug the corner like you would your favourite Granny" :(

• 2 weeks later...

There's some excellent highlights of past Monaco Grands Prix (1961, 1981, 1982, 1992 and 1996) on the red button on BBC1 at the minute. Well worth checking out. :lol:

EDIT: Apparently they're already gone from the Freeview feed but they'll be available until the end of Friday if you've got satellite or cable.

Edited by Meenzer

• 3 weeks later...
Button's blatantly going to win Sports Personality too, isn't he, just to really rub it in for Hamilton. :lol:

Nailed on I would've thought, unless Murray wins Wimbledon.

He seems a genuinely cheery personality, especially after all the lean years he suffered.

Button's blatantly going to win Sports Personality too, isn't he, just to really rub it in for Hamilton. :lol:

Nailed on I would've thought, unless Murray wins Wimbledon.

He seems a genuinely cheery personality, especially after all the lean years he suffered.

More nailed on for me is Brawn getting team of the year tbh. To come from where they were to being the dominant force of F1 in no-time at all is almost unprecedented.

Only when Jackie Stewart put Tyrrell on the map in the late 60s can I think of any other time a team has done this.

More nailed on for me is Brawn getting team of the year tbh. To come from where they were to being the dominant force of F1 in no-time at all is almost unprecedented.

Only when Jackie Stewart put Tyrrell on the map in the late 60s can I think of any other time a team has done this.

Brabham, the only driver to ever win a world championship in their own car!

Brabham, the only driver to ever win a world championship in their own car!

That's true, but wasn't he driving his own car for a couple of years before that happened? Tyrrell IIRC were in their debut season when Stewart delivered the title.

Tyrrell did win the title in their debut season, using a Matra chassis and a Cosworth engine. I don't think they started building their own cars until 2 or 3 years later. In a way, Tyrrell, which became BAR, which became Honda is the great grandaddy of Brawn.

Interesting that Jenson has already won the same number of races as Hamilton did on his way to the title last year.

Read earlier that only Schumacher (6 wins and 1 2nd place in 1994) has made a better start to an F1 season than Button has this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Bernie courting controversy again:

Hitler? He got things done, says Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone praising Adolf Hitler for his ability to “get things done” and saying “We did a terrible thing when we supported the idea of getting rid of Saddam Hussein. He was the only one who could control that country" ;)

Well that's one way of diverting attention away from Max I s'pose... ;)

Hope he's paying you handsomely for this one Bernard...

Guest Stevie

I reckon this tune is the best sporting intro there's ever been, even though it originally was from a song by Fleetwood Mac, I think they've altered the beat for this year, and it's better than ever. To be honest I lost interest in Formula 1 when Senna died, prior to that I used to love it, I'd play for my boys club on a Sunday, get home and the Grand Prix would just be starting (taping the back page on the other side of course), but as with everything ITV get their hands on it and fuck it all up. So I've watched one or two now it's back on BBC. Got a 5a on Button at 5/1 today, howay you posh cunt!

Well I'm pleased for Mark Webber but Brawn should have had at least 3rd and 4th. Honestly they ought to sort out who does their strategies because its not working at all...surely it cant be the Master of tactics Ross Brawn? I've rarely seen a three stop work...despite Ruebens fuel rig problem it still wasnt working anyway, you're always out behind a heavier car or a train of cars, so can never put the light, quick lap times in!

Did you see the Rubens interview? :unsure: Whilst I totally agree with what he's saying, perhaps he should have been more tactful in public and said it in private...but I suppose he was upset and angry. Loved his 'Blah, blah, blah' bit :icon_lol:

Edited by Toonraider

Rubens has let the ghost of team orders past catch up with him.

No-one conspired against him today, there was a genuine problem with the fuel rig and it's pretty evident that, had they not had to switch to the reserve rig, they'd have switched him to a 2-stop strategy. The reason Jenson jumped him at the end was because he nailed it in the laps between Rubens and himself coming in. Not the team's fault, just one of them things. As for their strategy, sadly I don't think they had much option but to run 3 stops. They couldn't manage their tyres in the colder conditions and needed new rubber more regularly. Look how quick the last set grained for both drivers - had that been a 2 stop strategy, they'd have finished way down the field - it was damage limitation time and given that, 5th and 6th wasn't that bad - probably lost one more place than they should have.

Hungary will suit them, Spa will suit Red Bull, Monza depends on the weather but all the rest should be Brawn favourable circuits.

Rubens however has talked himself out of the team for 2010. Anyone who watched the F1 Forum after the race by pressing the red button would have seen Anthony Davidson smiling very wryly following that interview. He's currently the test driver for Brawn.... :unsure:

BTW Stevie, 'The Chain' by Fleetwood Mac is as it's always been. Sure the BBC have overlaid it with effects but the underlying tune remains unaffected.