Internet Explorer 8

Christmas Tree

Started using Chrome a few months ago and I really like it...

It'll be quite interesting to see what their new operating system will be like.

splashtop_first_screen.jpg

splashtop_browser_screen.jpg

Only more polished visuals maybe.

Another internet browser thread. Wow.

Who seriously cares? I've used IE for donkeys and so far haven't encountered a single issue with usability, stability, speed, or, as far as I know, security. I'm sure chrome/opera/firefox (which I used once without noticing any difference) are just as good but it's ridiculous how fanatical some people seem to be in plugging their choice of a free application program.

Having said that I will be interested to see how the new Chrome OS performs when it arrives, but then that won't be free.

Who seriously cares? I've used IE for donkeys and so far haven't encountered a single issue with usability, stability, speed, or, as far as I know, security. I'm sure chrome/opera/firefox (which I used once without noticing any difference) are just as good but it's ridiculous how fanatical some people seem to be in plugging their choice of a free application program.

Having said that I will be interested to see how the new Chrome OS performs when it arrives, but then that won't be free.

You were born in that hole and you'll die in that hole, we've heard it all before. :lol:

Thing is Renton, if someone brings up a browser it's bound to have people give their opinion. Just like if you being up consoles, Internet providers, Mobile phone networks and the likes. So your bewilderment at the opinions is, in itself, bewildering. Nothing is surprising in thie thread, people are stating which they prefer.

Fwiw I've had countless issues with IE, found the functions and reliability of Firefox to be worthy of praise, and just like I'd recommend a restaurant I'd liked, I'll recommed a browser. I don't think people are being fanatical in support of one above the other. I just think people are (on the whole) down on IE because of it's much documented failings. And this cuts you to the bone because you're a Microsoft fanboy :lol:

You were born in that hole and you'll die in that hole, we've heard it all before. :lol:

:razz:

Thing is Renton, if someone brings up a browser it's bound to have people give their opinion. Just like if you being up consoles, Internet providers, Mobile phone networks and the likes. So your bewilderment at the opinions is, in itself, bewildering. Nothing is surprising in thie thread, people are stating which they prefer.

Fwiw I've had countless issues with IE, found the functions and reliability of Firefox to be worthy of praise, and just like I'd recommend a restaurant I'd liked, I'll recommed a browser. I don't think people are being fanatical in support of one above the other. I just think people are (on the whole) down on IE because of it's much documented failings. And this cuts you to the bone because you're a Microsoft fanboy :lol:

Not at all, I've just never had any issues with any browser I've used, right back to Netscape days. Maybe I've just been lucky with IE, but for instance take this issue with speed that is mentioned in this thread. What does that even mean? Surely you click on a page, and it should come up virtually instantly. Isn't this always the case?

Not at all, I've just never had any issues with any browser I've used, right back to Netscape days. Maybe I've just been lucky with IE, but for instance take this issue with speed that is mentioned in this thread. What does that even mean? Surely you click on a page, and it should come up virtually instantly. Isn't this always the case?

I really rate the customisation that's possible with Firefox. The gestures doohicky is tops, as are the dictionary tools, the image hosting thingy amongst many many others.

IE just seems a couple of years behind the times.

Using Safari 4, has a nice 'top sites' button that puts your top sites into panes and cover flow bookmarks which are nice and attractive.

Lovely feature. Although if you don't pin a few the bottom ones keep getting replaced.

• 2 years later...
Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Internet Explorer users have a lower than average IQ, according to research by Consulting firm AptiQuant.

The study gave web surfers an IQ test, then plotted their scores against the browser they used.

IE surfers were found to have an average IQ lower than people using Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Users of Camino and Opera rated highest.

The report has sparked anger from IE supporters, who have threatened AptiQuant with legal action.

Researchers gave over 100,000 web surfers a free online IQ test. Scores were stored in a database along with each person's web browser data.

The results suggested that Internet Explorer surfers had an average IQ in the low eighties. Chrome, Firefox and Safari rated over 100, while minority browsers Opera and Camino had an "exceptionally higher" score of over 120.

AptiQuant stressed that using IE doesn't mean you have low intelligence. "What it really says is that if you have a low IQ then there are high chances that you use Internet Explorer," said AptiQuant CEO Leonard Howard.

The findings have been treated with scepticism by Professor David Spiegelhalter of Cambridge University's Statistical Laboratory: "They've got IE6 users with an IQ of around eighty. That's borderline deficient, marginally able to cope with the adult world.

"I believe these figures are implausibly low - and an insult to IE users."

However, Mr Howard said he didn't feel threatened by a lawsuit: "A win in a court would only give a stamp of approval and more credibility to our report."

an IQ of around eighty. That's borderline deficient, marginally able to cope with the adult world.

;)

Clearly the study is flawed with users clicking next, next, next to get to the end.

Internet Explorer story was bogus

The story claimed that users of internet explorer had a lower IQ than those who opted for other browsers

A story which suggested that users of Internet Explorer have a lower IQ than people who chose other browsers appears to have been an elaborate hoax.

A number of media organisations, including the BBC, reported on the research, put out by Canadian firm ApTiquant.

It later emerged that the company's website was only recently set up and staff images were copied from a legitimate business in Paris.

It is unclear who was behind the stunt.

The story was reported by many high profile organisations including CNN, the Daily Mail, the Telegraph and Forbes.

Questions about the authenticity of the story were raised by readers of the BBC website who established that the company which put out the research - ApTiquant - appeared to have only set up its website in the past month.

Thumbnail images of the firm's staff on the website also matched those on the site of French research company Central Test, although many of the names had been changed.

The BBC contacted Central Test who confirmed that they had been made aware of the copy but had no knowledge of ApTiquant or its activities.

Research claims

ApTiquant issued a press release claiming that it had invited 100,000 web users to take IQ tests and matched their results with the type of browser they used.

It also supplied extensive research data.

The results claimed to show that Internet Explorer users were generally of lower intelligence.

The BBC sought alternative views for the original story, including Professor David Spiegelhalter of Cambridge University's Statistical Laboratory, who said: "I believe these figures are implausibly low - and an insult to IE users."

No-one on ApTiquant's contact number was available for comment.

Graham Cluley, senior security consultant at Sophos examined the source material for the BBC after concerns were raised.

"It's obviously very easy to create a bogus site like this - as all phishers know it's easy to rip-off someone else's webpages and pictures," he said.

Mr Cluley also looked at the pdf file containing the data that many people had downloaded from a variety of sources and said it did not appear to contain malware.