Premier League 2 Could Help Save Toon

Tom

English football fans love to boast, with some justification, that the Premier League is the best in the world - or at least the most entertaining.

But they also love to wish away some of its best assets.

The over-developed British sense of schadenfreude means we take great delight when a big team suffers.

This season it's Newcastle.

The only club ever to be managed by two messiahs in the same season look set to drop out of the top flight and into the primordial soup of the Football League.

This would be bad news - bad for Newcastle and bad for the league.

Big clubs - and despite what Sunderland fans may have you believe, Newcastle are a big club - do not tend to do well when they drop out of the Premier League.

They don't know how to deal with it. Manchester City, Sheffield Wednesday and, of course, Leeds are obvious examples of this.

Perhaps this is why we are suddenly told the Premier League, led by Bolton chairman Phil Gartside, is to consider a second tier.

In some ways, any attempt to close the gap between the haves and the have nots in British football should be applauded.

It is with some nostalgia we look back on the days when a side could get promoted to the first division and immediately challenge at the top.

It would warm the heart to think that Wolves might do anything next season other than battle against relegation.

This is not what's on Gartside's mind.

He is only looking to insure his club against relegation.

His plan will, of course, never come to fruition.

The idea of Rangers and Celtic playing south of the border, a key part of Gartside's plan, has been discarded by nearly all rational people - it almost seems cruel to float the idea once again.

UEFA will not allow it.

But forgetting the minutiae of the thing, would a second tier of the Premier League be such a bad thing?

I'm not a Newcastle fan, but I don't want to see them disappear to the depths of League One, not to resurface for another 10 years or so.

English football needs clubs like that at the top of the pyramid, bringing in fans, creating publicity.

Perhaps it's natural to take a little twisted pleasure in seeing a giant fall, but the collapse can be more appealing in theory than in reality - like cup upsets.

Who doesn't like to see David slay Goliath?

But if Goliath never wins, you end up with an FA Cup final between Portsmouth and Cardiff - and who honestly wants to see that every year?

Give me Chelsea v Everton any day.

It seems the Premier League will lose another giant this year and instead keep hold of battling Stoke, plucky Portsmouth, perhaps even unfashionable Hull.

With Cardiff in the Championship play-off places, we may even be able to enjoy the spectacle of the Bluebirds taking on Pompey twice next season as Newcastle struggle to avoid following Leeds into footballing oblivion.

Perhaps there is merit to Gartside's relegation insurance after all.

It just doesn't say how or why! :nufc:

English football fans love to boast, with some justification, that the Premier League is the best in the world - or at least the most entertaining.

The over-developed British sense of schadenfreude means we take great delight when a big team suffers.

The only club ever to be managed by two messiahs in the same season look set to drop out of the top flight and into the primordial soup of the Football League.

Big clubs - and despite what Sunderland fans may have you believe, Newcastle are a big club - do not tend to do well when they drop out of the Premier League.

They don't know how to deal with it. Manchester City, Sheffield Wednesday and, of course, Leeds are obvious examples of this.

Perhaps this is why we are suddenly told the Premier League, led by Bolton chairman Phil Gartside, is to consider a second tier.

In some ways, any attempt to close the gap between the haves and the have nots in British football should be applauded.

It is with some nostalgia we look back on the days when a side could get promoted to the first division and immediately challenge at the top.

It would warm the heart to think that Wolves might do anything next season other than battle against relegation.

The idea of Rangers and Celtic playing south of the border, a key part of Gartside's plan, has been discarded by nearly all rational people - it almost seems cruel to float the idea once again.

UEFA will not allow it.

But forgetting the minutiae of the thing, would a second tier of the Premier League be such a bad thing?

I'm not a Newcastle fan, but I don't want to see them disappear to the depths of League One, not to resurface for another 10 years or so.

English football needs clubs like that at the top of the pyramid, bringing in fans, creating publicity.

Perhaps it's natural to take a little twisted pleasure in seeing a giant fall, but the collapse can be more appealing in theory than in reality - like cup upsets.

But if Goliath never wins, you end up with an FA Cup final between Portsmouth and Cardiff - and who honestly wants to see that every year?

It seems the Premier League will lose another giant this year and instead keep hold of battling Stoke, plucky Portsmouth, perhaps even unfashionable Hull.

With Cardiff in the Championship play-off places, we may even be able to enjoy the spectacle of the Bluebirds taking on Pompey twice next season as Newcastle struggle to avoid following Leeds into footballing oblivion.

Getting the sympathy vote already - we'll be everyones second favourite club soon

UEFA will not allow it.

How? By having a two-tier top league where only the reasonably sized+ teams are allowed.

Why? To keep shitey Hull etc out.

These, I take it, are what the auther means.

On a similar note, I read that Simon Jordan proposes the Old Firm having to pay £100m to join the top divisions of English football. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If Rangers and Celtic are allowed into English football I wouldn't set foot in SJP again.

Guest Stevie

UEFA will not allow it.

How? By having a two-tier top league where only the reasonably sized+ teams are allowed.

On a similar note, I read that Simon Jordan proposes the Old Firm having to pay £100m to join the top divisions of English football. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If Rangers and Celtic are allowed into English football I wouldn't set foot in SJP again.

In some ways I would love it, just to prove to them they'd never amount to more than a Sheffield Wednesday. Neither have anything like the appeal of Man Utd or Liverpool and they're not in London. The height of their achievements league wise would be to have a team like we did in 2003, but not 1996.

UEFA will not allow it.

It just doesn't say how or why! :D

If you're going to do that, you should just spin UEFA off into it's own full-time league and leave all the "lower" leagues as they are.

UEFA will not allow it.

In some ways I would love it, just to prove to them they'd never amount to more than a Sheffield Wednesday. Neither have anything like the appeal of Man Utd or Liverpool and they're not in London. The height of their achievements league wise would be to have a team like we did in 2003, but not 1996.

Celtic are arguably a bigger club than we are.

They've won the European Cup, play in the Champions League regularly, have had consistently higher attendances than us over the past 10 years, bigger worldwide fanbase etc. etc.

Guest Stevie

UEFA will not allow it.

They've won the European Cup, play in the Champions League regularly, have had consistently higher attendances than us over the past 10 years, bigger worldwide fanbase etc. etc.

Consistently higher attendances than us that are reported, everyone knows there are barely 40,000 at Parkhead every week, but it always gets reported as 57,000. Added to the fact their ground capacity is 7,000 bigger and our % of capacity has been higher in every season. Secondly they play in the Champions League every season because they're in a wank league, if WBA were in Scotland they'd play in the CL every season. Bigger worldwide fanbase? I've seen more Newcastle fans abroad than Celtic, but even if that's true and it could be, SO FUCK! We make more money commercially on merchandise and other connected facets than they do, aside from the SKY TV and Premiership money. So basically you don't have a point to make in contradicting what I said. I really think you should support them, it's in your blood, and you have far more connections and feel for them than you do for us. What was that other one you came out with, Artur Boruc was a top class keeper :razz::razz: oh dear.

UEFA will not allow it.

Consistently higher attendances than us that are reported, everyone knows there are barely 40,000 at Parkhead every week, but it always gets reported as 57,000. Added to the fact their ground capacity is 7,000 bigger and our % of capacity has been higher in every season. Secondly they play in the Champions League every season because they're in a wank league, if WBA were in Scotland they'd play in the CL every season. Bigger worldwide fanbase? I've seen more Newcastle fans abroad than Celtic, but even if that's true and it could be, SO FUCK! We make more money commercially on merchandise and other connected facets than they do, aside from the SKY TV and Premiership money. So basically you don't have a point to make in contradicting what I said. I really think you should support them, it's in your blood, and you have far more connections and feel for them than you do for us. What was that other one you came out with, Artur Boruc was a top class keeper :razz::razz: oh dear.

I was winding you up you fucking tit, hence the 3, 2, 1.

And show me where exactly I said that Boruc was top class?

Guest Stevie
I very much doubt that Newcastle make anywhere near what Celtic make on merchandising and related i.e. kit sales

The last known survey of kits sales was 96, we out sold Celtic 3:1, but that was then, I would doubt the other way round to be honest. I think Celtic could make more on internet stuff though.

I very much doubt that Newcastle make anywhere near what Celtic make on merchandising and related i.e. kit sales

The last known survey of kits sales was 96, we out sold Celtic 3:1, but that was then, I would doubt the other way round to be honest. I think Celtic could make more on internet stuff though.

I'm pretty sure Celtic have loads of supporters clubs internationally. Plus half (exaggeration i know) of the population of Ireland must buy them - so there's a load of kits bought. Newcastle are predominantly a localised support so aren't as I said going to get anywhere near celtic in terms of shirt sales.

As the guy above me says I think you'd struggle to buy a Newcastle shirt in USA but would find a Celtic one relatively easily.

You found that post yet?

I'll take your silence as an admission that you know you're talking complete shite.

Guest Stevie

As I thought, commercially which is your merchandise etc Newcastle made £28m in 06/07, Celtic made a paltry £16m, it's worth noting that this is nothing to do with SKY or Premiership purses neither. http://www.deloitte.com/dtt/article/0,1002...D190718,00.html

Guest Stevie

You found that post yet?

I'll take your silence as an admission that you know you're talking complete shite.

No you've bummed him a good few times, "grrreat keepurrrrrr sho he ishh". I'm not searching through threads, I'll have a look later.

Guest Stevie

I'm pretty sure Celtic have loads of supporters clubs internationally. Plus half (exaggeration i know) of the population of Ireland must buy them - so there's a load of kits bought. Newcastle are predominantly a localised support so aren't as I said going to get anywhere near celtic in terms of shirt sales.

As the guy above me says I think you'd struggle to buy a Newcastle shirt in USA but would find a Celtic one relatively easily.

Our survey said NUR NURRRRRRRRR. You can even buy Newcastle shirts in Brazil, but not Celtic.

Who really gives a fuck?

You asked for examples then give this pathetic response, pretty much sums you up.

:D I already told you I only said it to wind you up but you're still going. You just can't help yourself.