A Tribute To Kevin

Tooj

Some of the patter on NO is astounding. Claiming we are on the verge of significant ling term improvement under Ashley, and that the fans have to share equally in the blame for where we find ourselves today. I don't know how your brain would need to be wired, and what version of reality you need to have been exposed to in order to arrive at these conclusions.

Luca reckons he was on the wind up. <_< LLO is another culprit, but the chain gang upped sticks and left when we slid down the table. The Ashley core are in hiding.

I haven't seen where he claims he was on the wind up, but I don't believe it anyway.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the patter on NO is astounding. Claiming we are on the verge of significant ling term improvement under Ashley, and that the fans have to share equally in the blame for where we find ourselves today. I don't know how your brain would need to be wired, and what version of reality you need to have been exposed to in order to arrive at these conclusions.

Luca reckons he was on the wind up. :( LLO is another culprit, but the chain gang upped sticks and left when we slid down the table. The Ashley core are in hiding.

I haven't seen where he claims he was on the wind up, but I don't believe it anyway.

I don't either, he sensed I was readying the nuke and backed off. <_<

I got pissed off with the notion that just beacuse we are going down, its somehow a crime against humanity to say "We told you so". I have no such qualms.

He's done more for our club, our city, than anyone else in my (or any of our?) lifetime.

Agree totally. I can't believe any of the fans who were around for his fist time as manager (And definitely those who suffered all the shite before him) can think he's anything other than a legend here. No one man has ever made the fans of this city so happy and proud of their club as he did, giving us so much enjoyment, belief and hope along the way and lets not forget saving us from falling into division 3 and possibly going out of existence. And that's not even thinking about his time here as a player!

Is exactly how I feel. That Viva La Keegan video 2J did always brings a lump to my throat, I'e never felt so excited or entusiastic about football as I did when Kevin Keegan stepped through our doors - anyone who says differently just isn't a true fan of Newcastle United if they say otherwise.

Bollocks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to suggest you are not a fan of the club if you don't hero-worship Keegan is bullshit imo. For the record I had grave doubts about Keegan's return and his motives, doubts that still remain despite Ashley clearly being a prick. Your suggestion that that somehow makes me less entitled to support our club than yourself is pretty obnoxious tbh.

They are? Since when? :icon_lol:<_<

Keegan last time was never going to be the same as Keegan the 2nd time or Keegan the 1st time for that matter, but it's daft to really blame Keegan for what happened, if Ashley has backed him as much as he backed Kinnear and especially Shearer, we'd have likely had a pretty decent season this season and be looking for an even better one next season.

Is Keegan low maintenance? :blush:

Is Keegan the most reserved and cool of managers? :)

Is Keegan great? :(

In all honesty the treatment and criticism of Keegan just underlines how short most peoples memories are. :(

Aye I thought HTL looked a bit daft dragging up Shepherd, but certainly those that claim Ashley is only fractionally to blame for this fucking mess need calling out. To suggest we're on the verge of long term stability at a time when we are about to crash-land in the Championship with a financial setup that could see us go under is ridiculous.

For the most part, those that side with Ashley over Keegan are those that were too young to appreciate what Keegan did for the club in his spell here as manager. They've read the newspaper version of Keegan the emotionally fragile, Keegan the man who lost it on national TV, Keegan the broken man slumped in his seat at Anfield, Keegan the bottler who never finishes anything he starts. They read all this shit and feel that failure was inevitable because the papers has told them that first time around was ultimately a failure. What a load of bollocks.

The sad thing for me is, it's the people who should know better who feel that way.

Please elaborate on that 2J.

I was a massive fan of Keegan during his stint here as a player and as a manager (1st time), I've met the bloke and was overwhelmed by his enthusiam (this was in in 95 iirc). But the simple fact is for me his passion had been well and truly extinguished when he became a manager for the second time. Blame Ashley all you want but it simply was never going to have a happy ending the second time round imo.

It's odd that such sentiments are now deemed as apocryphal on this board.

He looked pretty chirpy to me after the Man U game.

I actually think the Chelsea game showed as much, not that he was happy, but that he clearly wanted to be in a position to at least be able compete with them (on the park if not necessarily in the league).

if Ashley has backed him as much as he backed Kinnear and especially Shearer

He backed Kinnear and Shearer more than Keegan?

Shearer certainly (Wise was sent packing), but yes I think on balance he gave Kinnear more authority (or allowed Kinnear to take more authority) than Keegan.

Shearer certainly (Wise was sent packing), but yes I think on balance he gave Kinnear more authority (or allowed Kinnear to take more authority) than Keegan.

By all accounts Wise was going anyway, Shearer only got them to announce it earlier.

I think Kinnear spouted a load of bollocks, got fuck all to spend and had 2 of his best players sold from under him.

For the most part, those that side with Ashley over Keegan are those that were too young to appreciate what Keegan did for the club in his spell here as manager. They've read the newspaper version of Keegan the emotionally fragile, Keegan the man who lost it on national TV, Keegan the broken man slumped in his seat at Anfield, Keegan the bottler who never finishes anything he starts. They read all this shit and feel that failure was inevitable because the papers has told them that first time around was ultimately a failure. What a load of bollocks.

The sad thing for me is, it's the people who should know better who feel that way.

I was a massive fan of Keegan during his stint here as a player and as a manager (1st time), I've met the bloke and was overwhelmed by his enthusiam (this was in in 95 iirc). But the simple fact is for me his passion had been well and truly extinguished when he became a manager for the second time. Blame Ashley all you want but it simply was never going to have a happy ending the second time round imo.

I actually think the Chelsea game showed as much, not that he was happy, but that he clearly wanted to be in a position to at least be able compete with them (on the park if not necessarily in the league).

You would want the manager to be wanting to compete. The problem is MA and Co. by then were obsessed with the books....Books which are going to look like Lehmann Brothers if things go wrong next week. We simply don't have the liquidity to support the wage bill without PL money. FACT.

By all accounts Wise was going anyway, Shearer only got them to announce it earlier.

I think Kinnear spouted a load of bollocks, got fuck all to spend and had 2 of his best players sold from under him.

Well if you're right (Given and Zog? You think they didn't want to go?) the we are going to have a torrid time in the Championship, if Ashley hasn't learnt his lessons, and won't/can't employ a quality manager and then back him.

JK the man is a complete joke.

You would want the manager to be wanting to compete. The problem is MA and Co. by then were obsessed with the books....Books which are going to look like Lehmann Brothers if things go wrong next week. We simply don't have the liquidity to support the wage bill without PL money. FACT.

Aye which is again what is worrying regarding the Championship and Ashley, out wage bill is excessive, but not club destroying in the PL, in the Championship it may be, and worse with the revenue drop we'll have less to spend, as well as haemorrhaging players for bargain prices. Next season could make this season look "ok". <_<

What really pissed me off about the Llambias interview was when he said that Keegan's "sack the numpties" demand had no chance of happening yet 9 months on it was a nothing decision (either pre-planned or asked for by Shearer) to get rid of the dwarf.

Aye which is again what is worrying regarding the Championship and Ashley, out wage bill is excessive, but not club destroying in the PL, in the Championship it may be, and worse with the revenue drop we'll have less to spend, as well as haemorrhaging players for bargain prices. Next season could make this season look "ok". <_<

There is the parachute money, but you have to come straight back up to limit the damage.

What really pissed me off about the Llambias interview was when he said that Keegan's "sack the numpties" demand had no chance of happening yet 9 months on it was a nothing decision (either pre-planned or asked for by Shearer) to get rid of the dwarf.

My theory is that they never really truly intended in any shape or form to back KK, hence the legal nightmare of a contract they handed him.

If we keep the players that are on daft wages, we should come back up imo. I know they're shit but someone like Duff might find a new lease of life against a full back he can beat. It's a huge gamble though cos if you maintain that wage bill and fall short, it'll be coytains!

I'd sooner get shot and start again.

If we keep the players that are on daft wages, we should come back up imo. I know they're shit but someone like Duff might find a new lease of life against a full back he can beat. It's a huge gamble though cos if you maintain that wage bill and fall short, it'll be coytains!

This.

We need to get 11 hungry players in (and get them to eat together). <_<

Well if you're right (Given and Zog? You think they didn't want to go?) the we are going to have a torrid time in the Championship, if Ashley hasn't learnt his lessons, and won't/can't employ a quality manager and then back him.

They wanted to go. But Kinnear said repeatedly he didn't want them to. Once they did, they should have been replaced.

This post seems a bit contradictory. Surely promotion as soon as possible should be the priority? Regardless, the reality is we will lose the better players and be stuck with the shit ones we can't shift.

They wanted to go. But Kinnear said repeatedly he didn't want them to. Once they did, they should have been replaced.

Yeah but that's been the story of this season, would they have wanted to go under a genuine Keegan regime in the first place? And if they did who would have made the better choices for replacements out of Keegan, Kinnear, Wise, Lambrusco(?!?), Ashley's daughter and even Shearer?

This post seems a bit contradictory. Surely promotion as soon as possible should be the priority? Regardless, the reality is we will lose the better players and be stuck with the shit ones we can't shift.

Keeping the current lot fixes nothing though. We get promoted with the same shit and the same crippling wage bill, or we fail and are in financial ruin.

I want to come straight back up but the prospect of having a clearout is quite a refreshing one. We should be more than capable of poaching decent youngsters and up-and-comers with a name like Shearer in charge.

This is what scares the shit out of me. Ourt better players will get moves, those that are not in great demand but are fucking us through crazy wages will most probably be allowed to leave for a fraction of their worth just to get the off of the wage bill and we will be left with bairns and the dross that are digging their heels in to stay and get silly money. Where this would leave us in terms of money to spend for next season I have no idea.

Either way we are going to have an overhaul of the squad and whilst its badly needed and we think its the best thing for us, the success of teams in recent seasons who have went down and came straight back up was that when they were relegated they still kept the core of that squad together. I think West Brom and even Boro with the exception of the likes of Downing, Tuncay etc will still be able to do this and be ina far better position than we are.

Yeah but that's been the story of this season, would they have wanted to go under a genuine Keegan regime in the first place? And if they did who would have made the better choices for replacements out of Keegan, Kinnear, Wise, Lambrusco(?!?), Ashley's daughter and even Shearer?

I'm not sure I get your point? How does that point support the argument that Ashley learned a lesson and supported later managers more than Keegan? It's the story of our season....and the only constant through it all has been Ashley/Llambias.